1:30 scale X-Wing Fighter (Oktober 2013, 49.99 Euro)

• 2 weeks later...

!/35 or 1/32 would have been much more use full. You can mod lots of figures and equipment in those scales. 

Well, let's wait and see what we get from Revell. They haven't been too accurate with their scaling on the Star Wars stuff in the past (for instance, their TIE Fighter was much larger than the scale that they quoted).

• 1 month later...

I wonder if the weired scales of the Revell Star Wars kits has something to do with their licence - I can imagine that Fine Molds has a licence for the common scales and Revell simply not. If this is so I would not be too accurate with the scale too. I would maybe announce 1:30 but come close to 1:32... Furthermore I think it is pretty dificult to give the correct size of Sci-Fi stuff, so as long as a 1:32 or even 1:35 scale figure does not look out of place next to the 1:30 X-Wing I should not care... yet these odd scales annoy me as well as they make the whole thing appear a bit toyish.

I wonder if the weired scales of the Revell Star Wars kits has something to do with their licence - I can imagine that Fine Molds has a licence for the common scales and Revell simply not. If this is so I would not be too accurate with the scale too. I would maybe announce 1:30 but come close to 1:32... Furthermore I think it is pretty dificult to give the correct size of Sci-Fi stuff, so as long as a 1:32 or even 1:35 scale figure does not look out of place next to the 1:30 X-Wing I should not care... yet these odd scales annoy me as well as they make the whole thing appear a bit toyish.

Fine Molds went for one scale as that's what people want, Revell went with box scale so size jumps around from kit to kit.

The box scale certainly gives Revell the possibility to offer subjects of very different "1:1" sizes in similar model sizes and so to sell them all in a quite similar price range. As Revell will sell the most of their SW kits to kids they probably find the box scale an advantage. I have only some Revell SW kits and have none build yet. But the Jedi Starfighter has some toyish areas (wingfolds,...), and I doubt it will be very "screen accurate". But I thought the Landspeeder looks so simple that I just could not convince myself to buy it (even at a very discounted price). So the longer I think about it the more I am convinced that FM and Revell have simply completely different ambitions: FM wants to please the "mature" scale modellers (hooray for FM!) while Revell is doing some PR for the hobby and wants to please the young to become scale modellers (hooray for Revell...).
Still - I wish Revell could use "common" scales and not box scale - It should work too and would probably please more potential customers.

I have a lot of friends at Star Ship Modeler who wish Revell went with one scale. I have two of the the ARC 170's, nice kits, but would have been nice if they came with an R2 unit instead of a black spot on the roof, ment to look like the hole the R2 goes in to.

Seems to be a Revell kind of thing, since they did the non standard scale thing with the Star Trek Enterprise kit discussed elsewhere in this forum...

They were staying close to the scale of the MPC/AMT kits from 1966, which are 1/650 scale.

This is correct. Fine Molds have released X Wing in 72 and 48 and on the balance of probabilities they are almost certainly have an option on a 32 scale kit, but chosen not exercise it yet. Not a huge issue as sci-fi scales are open to interpretation anyway and there is no reason why it should not be good. It'll not be the scale that decides if it makes up into a good model or not.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk