What-if III

Col.

I really fancy being part of this.

Have the idea of a helicopter with a unique backstory and twist.

I guess this wont be up and running for some time if we get enough people?  Gives me time to research/plan further

I really want to try and do an Israeli English Electric Lightning circa 1990, modified with new radar and armament. The bullet in the intake houses the radar, right? I wonder what I could replace it with...

• Like 1

I really want to try and do an Israeli English Electric Lightning circa 1990, modified with new radar and armament. The bullet in the intake houses the radar, right? I wonder what I could replace it with...

How about a completely new radome & chin intake like the Corsair or Crusader? I'm planning something like that for an  upgraded Lightning with Sidewinders on the fuselage rails & Skyflash/Sparrow missiles on the over wing and/or wing tip launch rails. I rather like the look of the intake/radome on the F-8U Crusader III. Would look great on a  Lightning!

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest in this one and interesting ideas gang. I've updated the first post list so if your name isn't on it but should be let me know.

How about a completely new radome & chin intake like the Corsair or Crusader? I'm planning something like that for an  upgraded Lightning with Sidewinders on the fuselage rails & Skyflash/Sparrow missiles on the over wing and/or wing tip launch rails. I rather like the look of the intake/radome on the F-8U Crusader III. Would look great on a  Lightning!

2jveah.jpg67lag0.jpgs2y2ci.jpg

like that?

• Like 1

Exactly like that!! :wow::wow:

I'd keep the twin engines though. Just personal preference. My own thoughts on a single engined Lightning would involve merging the nose/cockpit/wings of the Lightning with the fuselage of a Sukhoi SU-7 !

Exactly like that!! :wow::wow:

I'd keep the twin engines though. Just personal preference. My own thoughts on a single engined Lightning would involve merging the nose/cockpit/wings of the Lightning with the fuselage of a Sukhoi SU-7 !

my version had a single modified olympus motor with 45,000lb thrust and ALOT more space for fuel lol

my version had a single modified olympus motor with 45,000lb thrust and ALOT more space for fuel lol

Lol!! :lol:

You'd need the extra juice!!!! With engine that powerful a "normal" Lightning would probably run out of fuel before it left the runway! :lol: . VERY nice job! Particularly like the "splinter" camouflage.

Allan

Lol!! :lol:

You'd need the extra juice!!!! With engine that powerful a "normal" Lightning would probably run out of fuel before it left the runway! :lol: . VERY nice job! Particularly like the "splinter" camouflage.

Allan

hehe in my world it used less fuel when cruising than a normal lightning it was a bugger to build and to paint but im happy with the outcome :)

im making a supersonic vulcan for the same airforce and im wondering wether to do it gloss white or the same splintercamo as the frightning haha

don't forget about me!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

have to start ploting and planning, not sure what, but hope to have the spares box bursting with bit when it comes around.

Propably attempt two again and one will know doubt bit made up of whatever's lying around.

hehe in my world it used less fuel when cruising than a normal lightning it was a bugger to build and to paint but im happy with the outcome :)

im making a supersonic vulcan for the same airforce and im wondering wether to do it gloss white or the same splintercamo as the frightning haha

I like the sound of that. I had an idea for a sort of upgraded Vulcan which would have involved essentially (1) sealing/fairing over the wing root intakes,(2) longer nose with tandem cockpit, (3) now the really good/bad/mad bit - the RR Olympus engine pods from the Airfix 1/72 Concorde. So far it's come to nothing. However,I believe it's do - able!!. I was going to cut out the complete engine /exhaust areas from the underside of the wings/training edges. There's just enough room for the engine mounts (which would be sort of semi buried in the wing!) behind the main undercarriage. Might be easier to have the engines on TOP of the wing?

Anyway, I haven't done it yet but, hopefully there's something in the idea there that you might be able to use.

Allan

I like the sound of that. I had an idea for a sort of upgraded Vulcan which would have involved essentially (1) sealing/fairing over the wing root intakes,(2) longer nose with tandem cockpit, (3) now the really good/bad/mad bit - the RR Olympus engine pods from the Airfix 1/72 Concorde. So far it's come to nothing. However,I believe it's do - able!!. I was going to cut out the complete engine /exhaust areas from the underside of the wings/training edges. There's just enough room for the engine mounts (which would be sort of semi buried in the wing!) behind the main undercarriage. Might be easier to have the engines on TOP of the wing?

Anyway, I haven't done it yet but, hopefully there's something in the idea there that you might be able to use.

Allan

2j3muti.jpg

op5v7k.jpg

292quxz.jpg

it seemed a waste to have that HUGE wing root filled in so i just made intakes for it lol