Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Icarus

Airfix 1:72 Spitfire PR XIX, Swedish Air Force, 1955

Recommended Posts

Thank you for your kind comments.

 

Decals now on, and resin exhausts sited:

 

DSC00084.jpg

 

Looking at the reference photos of the original aircraft, weathering seems to be minimal - some exhaust staining perhaps, but little else.  Will therefore only be adding only faint pin wash after this

 

Icarus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice, can i ask what paint you are using for the PR blue...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I does make you wonder if Sweden actually only had 1 Spitfire XIX. The kit and your replacement decals are for aircraft 60 and by the looks of it, the new Airfix 1/48 XIX will be the same aircraft.

 

I think that is more a lack of imagination. Sweden had fifty XIX:s between 48 and 55. They were bought as a stopgap because development of the recce J29 (S29) was going slow.

 

Thats what I mean, 50 aircraft to go at and they all seem to do the same one  :mental:  

 

Or alternatively its a well and clearly recorded aircraft during its service life aircraft thus offers good working reference source.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jason.  This is Xtracolor X008 RAF PRU Blue, diluted roughly 75% paint 25% Humbrol thinners, airbrushed on.  Fabulous paint - gloss enough to apply decals direct without silvering.

 

Icarus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning all

 

Nearing completion now.  As the real aircraft seem to have been kept pretty pristine, only a very light oil pin wash will be needed, followed by pigment weathering around the exhaust and wheels, and some oil streaks near the filler caps.  Then, a coat of satin varnish to blend everything in, removal of the masks, and it should be done.  Tempted to add a 1:72 "Remove before Flight" tag to the pitot, but no photographic evidence that these were used.

 

DSC00089.jpg

 

Icarus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished!  I have managed to stick to the original timetable.  Might use the additional 7 days in the extension to due a Blitz Build Viggen.

 

Full set of pictures in the Gallery, but a couple here..

 

DSC00102.jpg


DSC00100.jpg

 

Icarus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Superb!  I particularly like those exhausts  :)

 

Cliff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...