Airfix 1:72 Spitfire PR XIX, Swedish Air Force, 1955

Evening all.

I would like to join this Group Build please. I will build this model. Initially I thought it would be totally out of the box, but I have just been on a certain website related to a model shop in North London, and have bought a kabuki mask and some resin. In the meantime...

DSC00030.jpg

Further updates when the postman has delivered the goodies....

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 1

It's a bit iffy to tell from the picture but of what I'm seeing is correct, you may want to ask the postman for some replacement roundels as well. The colours look pretty off!

But I've been hoping for a kit of the XIX for a while, I look forward to seeing your build.

The problem is actually the opposite - the yellow look very orangey and way too vivid. I was accounting for the paper. Checked out the review at modelingmadness and it looks the same there so unfortunately (if you care about such things) you seem to need new decals for the Swedish option. Not 100% sure until I've seen them in person, of course.

This is what you want:

200px-Flygvapnet_roundel.svg.png

Nice kit and if you are adding cockpit detail be sure to get a better canopy as the kit one is too thick for seeing much through.

Thanks all. Wizball is quite correct - the decals are too orange. Just ordered some replacements from Carpena.

I will probably keep the canopy closed up, as I love the profile of the late Mk spitfires.

Expect a slight delay whilst all my goodies are delivered by Santa, on his little known "New Year" delivery ride...

Icarus

Evening all.

Whilst I'm waiting for the rest of the goodies I've ordered to turn up, thought I'd make a start on the preshading and the tyres using Tamiya Nato Black, rather than twiddling my thumbs.

DSC00031_zpscdc4103d.jpg

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 1

A bit more progress. Painted the interior green, and have printed off a scale reproduction of the Spitfire instrument panel to represent this in the kit. With a closed canopy, should be enough:

DSC00042.jpg

New Carpena decals have arrived. Yellow of roundels looks much better:

DSC00059.jpg

Icarus

• Like 1

Looking good, I have built this kit and liked it mostly.

I does make you wonder if Sweden actually only had 1 Spitfire XIX. The kit and your replacement decals are for aircraft 60 and by the looks of it, the new Airfix 1/48 XIX will be the same aircraft.

Chris

I think that is more a lack of imagination. Sweden had fifty XIX:s between 48 and 55. They were bought as a stopgap because development of the recce J29 (S29) was going slow.

Thats what I mean, 50 aircraft to go at and they all seem to do the same one :mental:  Plus I dont think the red spinner suits the scheme but thats just me.

Hopefully the new 1/48 XIX will spur some decal companies to give us some different options in 1/48 and 1/72

Chris

Yep, it is a (not very round) roundel from the Union of Burma Air Force Mk IXe, circa 1954-55.  Now that really would be a narrow interest Group Build...

This little beauty is coming on fast.  Cockpit and fuselage details before the latter was closed up:

DSC00062_zps13530e78.jpg

And the result after the fuselage was closed.  At least I know what detail has gone into the cockpit!

DSC00064_zps9c65fc18.jpg

Nice detail in the posts above about future colour schemes for the PR XIX.  I do agree that up until now, it has rather seemed that our Swedish friends actually only had one Spitfire on their inventory.

Thanks for your helpful comments,

Icarus

Looking good Icarus. Seeing this, i'm tempted to get another but I shall wait for the 1/48 one

Ask and you shall receive.

Here's what's coming from rbd decals, in all 3 major scales, ipms stockholm site (in swedish but pics talk universal language)

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2057

/johan

Excellent news

Chris

Evening all.  I have to say I'm having a brilliant time with this build.  My usual scale (model building, not mine personally) is 1:48, but I am rediscovering the pleasure of building models of this size.

Anyway,  progress...

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

Used the old "Pentel Correction fluid and Thinners" method to fill in the hairline gaps between the fuselage and the upper wing joint.

Last look at the cockpit details before it disappears for ever under the canopy...

DSC00067.jpg

Mr Rioja and I will get cracking this evening, then provide further updates later...

Icarus

• Like 1

Morning all.

Swedish Spitfire masked up...

DSC00070.jpg

And after first coat of primer. 

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

Clearly some more filling needed around the port camera window, and at the lateral edges of the wings underneath, but no great disasters.  Should be able to do some very light preshading then put on the first layer of PRU blue later today.

And yes - the prop spinner components are just blu-tacked together at the moment.

Icarus

• Like 1

Thanks all. Wizball is quite correct - the decals are too orange. Just ordered some replacements from Carpena.

I will probably keep the canopy closed up, as I love the profile of the late Mk spitfires.

Expect a slight delay whilst all my goodies are delivered by Santa, on his little known "New Year" delivery ride...

Icarus

That's a bummer, why should you have to purchase a set of AM decals when the kit ones should be perfectly servicable????

Colin

Thanks Colin.  To be honest, I'm fairly philosophical about this - Airfix decals are usually very good.  Anyway, it gives me an excuse to expand my decals library, with some wierd and wonderful additions consequent to this foray into the AM jungle.  Burmese Air Force Group Build anyone...?

PRU blue now on.  The flash makes this look brighter than it actually is.  PE exhuasts painted then coated with Alclad Bronze lacquer.  This will be toned down with some weathering later on..

DSC00083.jpg

Icarus

• Like 1