Seafire Photo Experiment

This all started with a question about how to make a prop look like it's spinning. I mentioned that the technique I use is to make a brass bush and close fitting rod instead of the usual plastic shaft/poly cap kit arrangement and spin it with an aibrush to photograph. So here is my attempt at replicating a photo I took in Duxford in 2010 in model form. The only photoshoppery is to remove the aircraft from the original photo so I can use it as a backdrop, and about 100 pixels worth of editing on the far wingtip to remove the steel rod that mounts the model into the photo.

Here's the original

8330579458_8079dd9c6b_b.jpg

and heres my attempt at it:-

8335064216_9bcf542334_b.jpg

My main cock-up is that the kit radiator cowls are moulded open and I only now spotted this. Also my panel line are far too heavy, otherwise quite pleased with it. It was an interesting exercise using old fashioned photography rather than photoshop. In true movie tradition, I've only 'half built the model' as well. I had to scratch most of the decals so I only bothered with the ones you can see.

Thanks for looking

Nick

Edited by nick
  • Like 1

as I prepare to get excommunicated I can't help but notice the nose isn't right on the kit, it appears too long as does the spinner from this angle, the exhausts look oversize as well.

Ah that's better, first day of the year and I've had a pop at airfix already :)

Nick

• Like 1

Well, I think that is superb. Considering one is a plastic model, it looks really good.

As well as being a very competent modeller, you have some skills at photography and computer skulldugery as well !

I counted the rivets on the cowling and they match !! (just kidding) :whistle:

Steve.

Having both pictures so close together makes it too easy to spot the minor differences. If the pictures were separate, then it would be difficult to tell which was which.

It's a damned good picture however much you analyze it.

Chris.

Well, I think that is superb. Considering one is a plastic model, it looks really good.

As well as being a very competent modeller, you have some skills at photography and computer skulldugery as well !

I counted the rivets on the cowling and they match !! (just kidding) :whistle:

Steve.

Not just skulldugery, but wizardry.

I think you did a great job, there.

Chris

Really good Nick. You should try shooting a bit faster though to match the prop blur, shooting the real plane to get a full disk & keep the aircraft sharp you'd be looking at 1/60th.

Top effort though :)

Good effect and a pretty well built SX336 there nick.

But look at the "real" SX336 and see what the differences are 'twixt yours and her

(you've already mentioned the over done panel lines and rad flaps,

Spits/Seas are pretty smooth aren't they?).

Edited by Miggers

Really good Nick. You should try shooting a bit faster though to match the prop blur, shooting the real plane to get a full disk & keep the aircraft sharp you'd be looking at 1/60th.

Top effort though :)

I know. The original Is shot at 1/320 you wouldn't get that effect at 1/60. The issue is to get the DOF I need under artificially light I am using over 1 second exposure. Equally I am spinning the prop much slower than the real aircraft. I don't want to increase iso, so shooting in daylight will help I think. It's not as simple as replicating the shutter speed of the original photo, it doesn't work like that.

Nick

It's not as simple as replicating the shutter speed of the original photo, it doesn't work like that.

Nick

Which is why I said to shoot faster than the original (not knowing what you shot at). I think daylight would help loads, just getting the right light is the problem. That said, the model shot you've posted is great anyway. :)

That is brilliant...

That is brilliant...