New 1/48 Tornado IDS from Revell

tarlucan

Does anyone know or can make an educated guess as to whether it will be buildable with the flaps/slats retracted? I ask because while everything hanging out is cool, isn't it the case that the Tornado tends to have everything retracted when parked up?

Yes,at Bruggen it was rare for a jet to be parked with the flaps n slats out,in fact if a crew were found to have parked the jet like that,they got slabbed (Fined a case of beer) for the end of month beer call.

Does anyone know or can make an educated guess as to whether it will be buildable with the flaps/slats retracted? I ask because while everything hanging out is cool, isn't it the case that the Tornado tends to have everything retracted when parked up?

Check the photo's of what you want to build,there are plenty showing both up and down when parked.

Shaun

Spike and Shaun, I've noticed while checking through Tornado photos that the ADV is more likely to be seen with the flaps n slats out than the IDS - maybe just coincidence. But it does seem pretty rare for them not to be retracted - especially German ones.

Also, as you guys are in the know, is it also true that the wings could not be swept fully back in case they became tail-sitters?

Well, in fact the Tornado has some very subtle curves to compound the transitioning from the squared fuselage

to circular nose shapes, as You can see in these images :

4162-_ade5467_1_1_tonemapped.jpg

The matte finishing of the camou turns even worst to see subtle curves ...

lets hope Revell Germany is tuned for details like wing-glove, canopy, etc...

RAFGR-4-atshadows.jpg

GJ-Tornado-002.jpg

- as a friend of mine usually said when I complained that it would be difficult to represent some detail in 1/48 scale:

- Difficult was doing it 1/1 !!

All the fine photos are reproduced here under the fair use of images just for illustration purposes.

Tonka

Saw this one at Telford , looks pretty good , but first order will be for replacement metal U/C , the one in Revells display cabinet had collapsed under the weight.

The built example with the dodgy U/C was the 1/32 kit, which has just been re-released.

Also, as you guys are in the know, is it also true that the wings could not be swept fully back in case they became tail-sitters?

This was only the case with the RAF/Saudi version, this variant has an extra fuel tank in the fin. The Tornado F3 had no problems because of the longer forward fuselage and could be parked with the wing swept.

Its seem quite common for the German aircraft to park with the wings at 45deg.

With so much information available Revell should get the kit spot on.

I'm planning on getting a few of these myself

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Spike and Shaun, I've noticed while checking through Tornado photos that the ADV is more likely to be seen with the flaps n slats out than the IDS - maybe just coincidence. But it does seem pretty rare for them not to be retracted - especially German ones.

Basically the RAF/RSAF don't use the IDS,it's a different aircraft than the GR1 & 4 insofar as the weapon system is different & the jets are nuclear capable,whereas the IDS isn't iirc.

The fin tank was removed from the RAF version when it was upgraded to GR4,but the RSAF still retains them.We used to have to load the weapons in a certain order,more so when we used TSC's, as well as even when the wings were forward the was a danger of it sitting down.

Basically the RAF/RSAF don't use the IDS,it's a different aircraft than the GR1 & 4 insofar as the weapon system is different & the jets are nuclear capable,whereas the IDS isn't iirc.

The fin tank was removed from the RAF version when it was upgraded to GR4,but the RSAF still retains them.We used to have to load the weapons in a certain order,more so when we used TSC's, as well as even when the wings were forward the was a danger of it sitting down.

In as far are these differences visible in a 1:48 sclae model? Despite the cockpit layout is different and the wing pylons - are there different panel lines or vents or such?

Rene

The Italian and German Tornadoes are as nuclear capable as the RAF ones and their main original mission was dropping nukes over the Warsaw Pact countries.

It's not really true that the RAF don't use the IDS: IDS was a Panavia acronym for the attack version. Every country then had some different equipment in addition to a number of common systems. The RAF aircrafts are IDS built to UK specifications. The same happens for German and Italian machines, they are not simply IDS as we modeller like to think but the aircrafts of each country differ in a number of details as a result of different equipment.

• Like 1

I think I've put on record here before what used to happen, when the Tornado GR1was new.

We had been told we could not sweep the wings while the A/C was on the ground - because of the 'balance' of the A/C.

However, as we knew what would happen in the event of hostile operations when we might have to sweep the wings, so one dark night, we took an A/C that had a pair of hydraulic rigs fitted - and a full bomb load, and had a look at what we could do.

After experimentation we found that we had to have, at least, four 1000lb bombs fitted, on the forward stations, and we could then sweep the wings without upsetting the balance of the A/C.

This bit of info we filed away but, thank God, we didn't ever have to do it in anger.

Also, in the early days, we had an issue with the flaps that meant we had to have them extended for an after flight inspection.

This was an issue with the 'rubbing strips' in each of the flap tracks.

The adhesive used in manufacture was not up to the job and, consequently, the flap track rubbing strips could become detached.

This must have been sorted by now, so this might not be done on 'modern' squadrons, which would mean the flaps and slats could well be retracted on the ground - as it was so easy to 'bang you head' on them!

Regards, Brian

The RAF and RSAF aircraft are IDS standard. Also, the RAF GR4 was known as the IDS MLU at Warton. Each country had its variations on a standard Avionics fit. Country specific weapons, etc.

The whole point of the tri-national consortium was as much commonality as possible. This is especially the case in terms of the Avionics.

Cheers,

Tom.

Oh God ......Ive spent a whole week-end licking glass !!! :Tasty::Tasty:

Its everything I hoped for and a hell of a lot more .

First thing I noticed was ,funnily enough , Skyflash missiles and then I looked at the wing glove fairings...separate......both things leading to a possible F3 release ... :please:

Have I been saying it wrong...APU instead of EPU ? :oops:

Great to see that included as well as full intake trunking and correct slats and flaps .

The Sky Shadow ECM pod and also the clear part representing the lens for the LRMTS also point to a GR boxing ....didnt see a FLIR but Ill cannibalise my Airfix kits for that .

As for the shape of the nose /fuselage join......the "kink" is a very distinctive Tornado feature caused by mating a square fuselage to a circular radome.

I will be clearing space , ie selling /swapping /re-cycling various Airfix and HB kits very soon :winkgrin:

Thanks for the double early Chrimbo pressie Revell....the best Tornado kit ever and a timely re-issue of the 1/32 kit.

Andy

• Like 1

Oh God ......Ive spent a whole week-end licking glass !!! :Tasty::Tasty:

Its everything I hoped for and a hell of a lot more .

First thing I noticed was ,funnily enough , Skyflash missiles and then I looked at the wing glove fairings...separate......both things leading to a possible F3 release ... :please:

Have I been saying it wrong...APU instead of EPU ? :oops:

Great to see that included as well as full intake trunking and correct slats and flaps .

The Sky Shadow ECM pod and also the clear part representing the lens for the LRMTS also point to a GR boxing ....didnt see a FLIR but Ill cannibalise my Airfix kits for that .

As for the shape of the nose /fuselage join......the "kink" is a very distinctive Tornado feature caused by mating a square fuselage to a circular radome.

I will be clearing space , ie selling /swapping /re-cycling various Airfix and HB kits very soon :winkgrin:

Thanks for the double early Chrimbo pressie Revell....the best Tornado kit ever and a timely re-issue of the 1/32 kit.

Andy

So is this out to purchase yet Andy ?

• 1 month later...

As I said previously ..... :chillpill: pills required !

Provisionally the date is around March/April time ....patience fellow Tonkarites ....great things come to those who wait (and while we wait we can build all those unloved Airfix and HB kits ...... :whistle:

Andy :winkgrin:

• Like 1