New 1/48 Tornado IDS from Revell

tarlucan

Stencils differ among the 3 original users of the Tornado. Italian machines for example have all the stencils apart from the main ones in Italian/english. Some stencils are in Italian only.

The colours used for the same stencils also differ and have changed over time with the switch from the original camo to the overall grey scheme.

Xtradecals used to have stencils for the GR.1 in 1/72 scale, wonder if they did a similar 1/48 sheet ?

• Like 1

Thanks you three! So Xtradecals has stencils for the GR.1 and it seems it also covers the camo version. Having too much stuff in my stash anyway I should sell the Hobby Boss kit and hope Revell will not let us down - or invest in some aftermarket stuff. As usual...

I suppose the stencils will be different on IDS and GR.1 - or am I mistaken? Roundels, serials and squadron insignias are not the big deal I think, but I do not know about a Gr.1 stencil sheet, other than those included in the kits.

Tornado's based in Germany had all the stencills in both English & German as well as carried 4 ejection seat triangles per side,2 for the IIF & 2 for the ballast.Aslo the stencils on the weapon pylons will be different as we used different release equipment for the bombs.weapons wise,the GR1 & GR4's used by the RAF & RSAF are completelt different aircraft to the IDS.

Spike (Tornado Armourer)

Hey there Mozzy....he wont stop at two dozen you know !!

Im only getting one........score :bleh:

As for the Italeri kits , Ill still build them..........HobbyBoss , maybe not after what Ive seen tonight......eh Steve ??? :ninja:

Andy

Hope we get a test shot at Telford, be interesting to see how its going to look?.

If the RRP is correct, I can't see it having a dropped slats/flap option in the kit.

Wonder if the kit will come with a great German scheme on the decal sheet?.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

I have a couple of H B kits. So, I don't know if I'll invest in the Revell kit. However, If the new Revell kits are as well engineered and complex then they will be a bargain at nearly half the price (£23.99 I think I saw somewhere?) I hope they don't go down the movable wing route. Much rather have them with everything hanging.

Allan

• Like 1

Fully agree with you Allan. That was and still is my fear especially with a look at the parts count of 260 (Revell page) see end of page 2 of this topic. The parts count is between Italeri and Hobby Boss so everything is possible (full intakes, flaps and slats). Certainly a lot of parts for the asking price. Oh - and 260 parts does not sound like an "easy kit" aimed at the young ones, which also raise hopes that no swing-wing function is included.

Rene :popcorn:

• Like 1

Fully agree with you Allan. That was and still is my fear especially with a look at the parts count of 260 (Revell page) see end of page 2 of this topic. The parts count is between Italeri and Hobby Boss so everything is possible (full intakes, flaps and slats). Certainly a lot of parts for the asking price. Oh - and 260 parts does not sound like an "easy kit" aimed at the young ones, which also raise hopes that no swing-wing function is included.

Rene :popcorn:

Well, time will tell!! Personally, I also like the deployed thrust reversers that come with the H B kit!! :lol: . Of course, if someone happens to give me one of the new kits as a birthday or xmas gift..................!!! :D . Whatever, it looks like it will still be excellent value.

Allan

If everything works fine we´ll see the test shot in Telford. The design ideas for the kit are more than excellent and our prayers are with the tool shop to translate them well into steel. Given that we can forget Italeri and HB and some A/M products. Can´t tell here about the versions and which is to be the first to hit the shelves but all main differences are respected.

Andreas Beck

• Like 1

Many thanks Andreas.

I know that if it makes an appearance at Telford you will need to crowbar Andy off of it. :)

I know I will sound like a broken record but hopefully the 1/48 will be successful enough to convince them to re-release the man-scale kit.

Steve

P.s. Is it just me or is this shaping up to be the most eagerly awaited kit for some time?

As for the Italeri kits , Ill still build them..........HobbyBoss , maybe not after what Ive seen tonight......eh Steve ??? :ninja:

Andy

Is it twice as large as the upcoming Revell 1/48 kit ?

Robert

• 1 month later...