Airfix car kits....

richellis

I would just like to see good models of every day cars. VW passat, Ford Mondeo, Suzuki Swift. That kind of thing.

Scale ? 1/35 would be good for the Diorama boys, 1/24 for the motor heads or 1/12 for those that like em big!!!

I wonder if they could get the car makers to pay for the tool and give all the info. The More they pay, and give the better the kit. Great PR/advertising for their marque.

Buy a new ****** and get a scale model of it for the lad!

Pigs will fly first.

Oink, Oink...whoooshhh!!!

The car makers are happy to see cheapo Chinese die-casts in a promotional box. Ford did it with the Sierra for instance.

You don't even see the real sellers like the Mini and Frogeye from Airfix these days. Boring modern ordinaries will never be done.

Slot racing shells are the only ones you have half a chance with. Even then there aren't many ordinaries.

Martin

• 1 year later...

They did a TR7 , but it wasn't their tooling . If memory serves , it originated from one of the smaller Japanese manufacturers . I think it was during the Palitoy period , so it could have been something owned by General Mills .

To return to a very old thread:

Airfix released the TR.7 twice, first in 1980 in Series 6 and later in 1992 (or thereabouts) in S. 5. We have been discussing the origin of the Airfix 1/24 rallye cars at length at the Airfix Collecting Forum, and came to the conclusion that both of the TR releases are the Gunze kit (concurrent with the 90s release, they also released a Merak which appears to have been also Gunze, while their 1980 Merak was Tsukuda's).

Those were our conclusions/findings (the Tsukudas are definite because they feature the Tsukuda trademark)

06405-9 Lancia Stratos, 1980, Gunze, never re-released

06406-2 TR.7, 1980, Gunze, re-released 1992

06407-5 Ferrari 365 GTB, 1980, Gunze, never re-released

06408-8 Porsche 934, 1980, Gunze, never re-released

06409-1 Datsun 280, 1980, Gunze, never re-released

06410-1 Mustang Cobra II, 1980, Gunze, never re-released

06411-4 BMW M-1, 1980, Eidai, re-released 1992

06412-7 Lamborghini Countach, late 1980/early 1981,Eidai, re-released 1992

06413-0 Maserati Bora, late 1980/early 1981, Eidai, re-released 1992

06424 Alpine, 1981/2 post Palitoy takeover, Eidai, re-released 1992

06425-3 Boomerang, probably late 1980, Eidai, available as USAirfix ca. 1979, re-released 1992

06426-6 BMW 3.5, probably Eidai, available as USAirfix ca. 1979, probably first released 1992

06427-9 Pantera, source unkonwn, probably first released 1992

07401-0 Merak, 1980, Tsukuda (available as USAirfix and German Airfix ca. 1979), never re-released

07402-3 Lotus Elite, 1980, Tsukuda (available as USAirfix and German Airfix ca. 1979), never re-released

07403-6 probably reserved for Lambo Ital, Tsukuda (available as USAirfix and German Airfix ca. 1979)

07404-9 BMW M.1, probably Tsukuda (available as Lambo Ital by USAirfix and German Airfix ca. 1979), probably not released

07405-2 Ferrari Dino, 1980, Eidai, re-released 1992

The 1992 kits were:

5401 BMW M.1 ex 06411-4

5402 Bora ex 06413-0

5403 Alpine ex 06424

5404 Countach ex 06412-7

5405 Pantera announced 1981, probably not released then, probably ex 06427-9, probably ex Eidai

5406 Ferrari Rainbow

5407 Boomerang announced 1981, probably not released then, probably ex 06425-3, ex Eidai

5408 Lotus Esprit probably ex Eidai

5409 Lambo Jota probably ex Eidai

5410 Custom Corvette ex Eidai

5411 TR.7 Gunze

5412 Merak Gunze

6401 Dino ex 07405-2 Ferrari Dino, ex Eidai,

6402 BMW 3.5 ex 06426-6 BMW 3.5, probably Eidai

I have most of the 1980 boxings that are confirmed to have been released, but none of the 1992 versions, so have not been able to check the earlier against the later issues.

The 1981 catalogue also included a range of 8 SnapFix kits of assorted Corvettes, Mustangs etc. that were released before by USAirfix but apparently didn't make it into UK (or French) boxings. Lindberg later (?) released a very similar range - we have not been able to establish whether the USAx and Lindberg kits are the same, nor whether they may have been tooled by Lindberg in some mould sharing agreement. Anyone who can add to any of the open questions is very welcome !

Too big for me, Mr. Grumpy. Entex did the TC in 1/16th scale ages ago. A much more sensible scale than that daft 1/18th!!

Martin

Entex reboxed that kit - IIRC it was a Gakken original that later was also reboxed by Revell and finally went to Minicraft (though Revell may have had leased the mould from Minicraft, as they had quite a number of kits of Japanese origin in their range in the early 80s that were reboxed for the US by Entex before and are with Minicraft today). The Jaguar SS100 was also a Gakken mould originally.

Edited by tempestfan

Nice to see an 'older' thread reopened.

Mind you - nowt new again this year from Airfix in the cars category.

I don't count a reissue of the Beetle, or a different decal version of the XKR as new, or even worthy of note.

Roy.

Its never going to happen but I would like to see British Leyland stuff.

Morris Marina

Austin Allergro

On another note I would like to see items such as Austin Cambridges and such like.

It would make a nice change to get these in kit forms instead of die cast.

The most conclusive evidence would be if someone had some sprue shots of the Airfix E-Type, DB5 or Mercedes 280. If it wasn't the Scalecraft kit (and it's always possible that the moulds went the other way, starting with Airfix -- or being routed through Airfix from somewhere else -- and ending up with Scalecraft when it became clear that a low-detail, "toy" motorised model wasn't part of the Airfix plan in 1965 onwards. I had several of the Scalecraft models (Saladin, Paddle Steamer, and Wessex) as a boy, and they were consistently about the same "size" -- 9" or so, which would be consistent with a "kinda" 1/24 scale car, but not with a 1/32. There's no way the motors that came with any of those three (which were all the same) would have fitted into a 1/32 scale E-Type body...

bestest,

M.

Ratch's link above leads to a discussion, in which there are further links showing the kit parts of the Airfix version and the Scalecraft version. The parts breakdown is not even close; none of the parts are remotely the same.

Yep... you're right. I didn't follow through the links deeply enough to see the pictures! I wonder what happened to this range from Airfix, then? I guess they might have decided that they didn't fit with their "just like the real thing" aspirations -- although they did continue to make toys under the brand well into the 70s. It could be that they didn't see the market holding up, but Scalecraft managed to sell motorised polythene toys vehicle well into the 70s as well. Or maybe they were licensed from someone else to be distributed under the Airfix brand, and that license ran out. I've not seen these mentioned in either of the Airfix history books that I have...

bestest,

M.

It's late, so I'll post some of my thoughts on cars the could produce in either 1:32 or 1:24, I'd buy no matter which!

Well my first would be two triumphs, a spitfire Mk 1, and of course a Tr3

Then comes Morgan, a 3 wheeler would be very nice and a possibility for a twin set of old and new for airfix now?

An Austin seven, followed by a lotus 7 (not sure if this is made by another company, I seem to think revell make

one?) and another venture could be classic style caravans to accompany these cars, I can see a triumph herald with a icecream van style caravan in tow :)

Well that's my short list of the top of my head.

Cheers, Harry

Airfix is a massive disappointment (to me at least) these days.

Year after year, endless 'different' versions of the same old wingy-things, HUNDREDS of releases of same-old-same-old; and cars????

I think the Airfix designers, top dogs, bean-counters etc don't know what a car is!

They really are living up to their name - AIRfix.

OK - there's more money in 'planes....

Why then do all the other kit makers churn out new car models frequently if there's 'no market'?

All we get are re-hashes of ancient kits - the ruddy Beetle for heavens sake! - OR a different decal set for the XKR.

The DBR9 and the XKR were ace kits that surely sold by the bucket load but it was 5 years ago when they came out.

Why can't they release more kit versions of their Scalextric range?????

PLEASE Airfix - car modellers in the UK have been alienated by you for long enough.

Produce something genuinely NEW!

Roy.

Presumably you don't count the Minis Roy. At least you've had some cars. Those of us who build 1/600 ships have had nothing since KGV & Repulse in 1982 :weep:

It seems to be a bit of a British thing don't you think, staying with the same old designs and concepts (look at the Land Rover). Okay that's probably a pretty broad generalization but there seems to be a real lack of imagination going on here, when all the other companies are making inroads (pun intended) into the car kit market. And is our contribution to classic metal really so bland? What about the droopy Firenza, the Avenger Tiger, the Frogeye Sprite, the Spitfire (not the plane Roy, not the plane!) the Mk1 Cavalier Sportshatch? Or even a proper rallying Hillman Imp?

And that's just the 70's.

Revell have a really varied catalogue of material, from big yank tanks to lithe little European sports cars, with plenty of modern stuff thrown in. The same goes for Tamiya, Fujimi and even Heller. Then you have AMT and MPC for the proper Americana boys.

And it doesn't just come to cars either, like Ratch points out, we're also stuck with endless re-issues of Vosper MTB's and HMS bloody Victory.

Yes I realize I'm having a fair old time bashing Airfix all to hell but they really do seem to be stuck firmly in the 80's. Bout time they pulled the finger out.

Odd.