Airfix car kits....

richellis

I'm seeing a lot of Fords here....How about evening the scales and making a Chevette, standard body hatch, with parts to make a HS and HSR.  A Mk1 Cavalier, 4 door and Coupe and hatchback (and then by definition, Manta). 

I'd even like to see a Nova, Mk1 Astra, Cavalier Mk3 BTCC car.

Then of course we have Lotus.  A nice Series 1 Esprit, an Eclat.....

TVR.....Plenty to choose from

BL and BMC.  Would love to see a wedge Princess.

Personally I'd like them to rerelease their 24th scale motors - the Aston Martin DB6 for a start.  Didn't they do a TR7 at some point?

A new tool DB7 GT Coupe would go down well here too.

They did a TR7 , but it wasn't their tooling .  If memory serves , it originated from one of the smaller Japanese manufacturers .  I think it was during the Palitoy period , so it could have been something owned by General Mills .

Hello all, the Morris 1000 would get me delving into the wallet, Saloon, Traveller or van. Totally British and iconic, and still plenty around to be measured.

That is all I want!

Kind regards, Ray

Hello all, the Morris 1000 would get me delving into the wallet, Saloon, Traveller or van. Totally British and iconic, and still plenty around to be measured.

That is all I want!

Kind regards, Ray

I will second that the Morris 1000 in 1/24 what a classic....

Well if it has to be 1/32, Austin Healey 100/4, 100/6, 3000

If you can find one Revell GB did a lovely 1/32 Austin Healey 3000 in the 60's (as well as MGB. TR5 and Sunbeam)

AustinHealey3000-27.jpg

My wants are:

Volvo P1200

Reliant Scimatar

Rover P6

...and more 60's sports racers though I'll take a Lola T70 MkIII over a garage full of Ferraris any day!

Possibly the Gunze one.

http://www.team.net/TR8/trscale/trscale-03.html refers.

Presumably the Airfix and Gunze ones were the same, and the Revell & Monogram ones were the same as each other, but different from the Airfix / Gunze pair!

You may be right about the Airfix one being Gunze .  I think , however , that the Revell & Monogram kits are different .  They date back to the late 1970s , when they were two seperate companies .  Also , according to that website , the Revell kit is snap-together & 1/25 , whilst the Monogram is 1/24

Hi JamesP,

That's a really pretty little Healey you've built. Forgot about Revell's older kits. Still would like a new mould version though.

Regarding Astons, GP Miniatures do some really nice ones which include a bit of p/e for the tricky bits. See here:  www.gp-miniatures.com

They're meant for slot-car use so don't have interiors which is a pity but the subject matter's lovely with a DBR1, DP214 and a DB4 Zagato.

They're not cheap, especially if you have the p/e wire wheels with them but they look nice and they're the only decent versions in 1/32 scale AFAIK.

Regards

Dave

The major problem facing Airfix and any manufacturer for that matter, is subject and scale. I don't think the "ordinary" British family car of the'50s/ '60s/ '70s would have the slightest appeal outside of the UK and a very limited appeal within. They were very much of the moment.

Couple that with one of the minor scales and you're on the way to a loser from the outset. Only true classics or recent race cars would stand any chance at all of acheiving any decent sales. That's why Airfix chose to modify something from the slot car range rather than a new tool.

The same applies to bikes. I'm guessing now but I bet the thinking behind the Ariel Arrow and C15 was that all young riders were limited to a 250cc bike so these would be popular with youngsters. Also, bike kits weren't so thick on the ground then and there wasn't a preferred scale so a 1/16th kit was OK. I quite like the scale as it happens but 1/12 is now the accepted scale, thanks to Tamiya. Since they've not re-appeared I'd guess they were wrong and that sales weren't too high. Had they chosen a Gold Star or a Manx Norton, something with lasting appeal, maybe things would have been different but that's the way it was.

Trouble is, I can't see them ever releasing a new tool 1/24 car kit or a 1/12 bike. Personally the smaller scales don't bother me and I'd love anything on my wish list in 1/32 for cars or 1/16 for bikes but I sadly don't see it happening.

I wish, I just wish..........................!

Dave   

Just because subjects sell as Vanguards doesn't mean they'll sell as plastic kits... If the typical Vanguards collector (and I suspect they are collectors, not kids buying them to play with...) is a different kind of person from a typical Airfix buyer, then the same subjects will probably not appeal. I suspect that the vast majority of Airfix kits are NOT bought by a "typical Britmodeller".

Frank Martin's Hornby is pretty astute at figuring out what to sell to who. They've found synergies where they can (sharing design data between Corgi Diecast aircraft and Airfix kits, or between Scalextric slot cars and Airfix kits), but they also know where, and how, and to whom to sell their different brands. The fact Breyer horses (another Hornby line) make money doing new releases (including, for example the "War Horse" tie-in set) doesn't mean I'd expect to see Airfix 1/12th Showjumpers and Bengal Lancers make a comeback anytime soon.

The 1/32 cars are aimed at an audience who watch the real thing in action, I suspect, as well as people who build plastic kits. Hence they need to be subjects that those people find attractive.

And being the right age doesn't necessarily mean that you're nostalgic for ALL cars of that era. Personally, I have zero interest in anything produced by BL in the 70s, or indeed any car my or my friends parents might have owned. Give me a de Tomaso Pantera, a Countach or an F40, though, and you're talking. That's obviously just my view, but I'm just making the point that age doesn't automatically translate into enthusiasm, or sales -- I wouldn't buy a Vanguard, either...

bestest,

M.

Hi WIP,

As Matthew says, it's wrong to confuse 1/43 Dinky scale ready-builts with kits. It's always been known as the collectors scale and as such appeals to certain buyers.

In respect of kits in 1/43, racing cars, supercars and classics abound, not family saloons. It's easy to buy a built model of any car that takes your fancy but when it comes to investing time and effort punters are more choosy. It requires enthusiasm. I'm the right age having seen most post-war cars on the roads and I wouldn't be vaguely interested in an Allegro, Velox, Victor, 1800 Land Crab or any of that stuff. I just find it too mundane.

I do have an Airfix Ariel Arrow and I'm torn between converting it to a race bike or selling it. Had the BMW and sold it. Never had the C15, or Honda. But I would buy a Manx, 7R, G50, Velo.......................... I may be on my own in that respect but I'd like Airfix to give it a whirl just to find out!

Regards

Dave

If you can find one Revell GB did a lovely 1/32 Austin Healey 3000 in the 60's (as well as MGB. TR5 and Sunbeam)

AustinHealey3000-27.jpg

My wants are:

Volvo P1200

Reliant Scimatar

Rover P6

...and more 60's sports racers though I'll take a Lola T70 MkIII over a garage full of Ferraris any day!

Yes! Rover P6!

And being the right age doesn't necessarily mean that you're nostalgic for ALL cars of that era. Personally, I have zero interest in anything produced by BL in the 70s, or indeed any car my or my friends parents might have owned. Give me a de Tomaso Pantera, a Countach or an F40, though, and you're talking. That's obviously just my view, but I'm just making the point that age doesn't automatically translate into enthusiasm, or sales -- I wouldn't buy a Vanguard, either...

bestest,

M.

And conversely, I wouldn't want a Pantera, Countach or F40. they have all been done to death by other manufacturers.  As has pretty much every supercar. 

Well, if "normal" roadcars won't sell, how about a series of Group B rallycars?  And I don't just mean the common ones, like the Pug T16 and RS200.....

They have all been done to death by other manufacturers.  As has pretty much every supercar.

In 1/32? And I could give you a VERY long list of supercars that haven't been done in 1/24, like almost anything made by Jaguar or Aston Martin, never mind TVR, Noble, Ginetta etc...

When I launch "Petrolhead Plastics" -- my fantasy automotive version of Wingnut Wings doing state of the art 1/24 car kits -- my first six releases would be:

Series 1 1/2 E type Jaguar Coupe (sadly lacking any up to date, accurate kit)

Aston Martin One-77, a new British icon

Pagani Zonda, mutiversion kit

Noble M600 -- a balls-out British supercar

Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato -- a beauty

Lotus Elise/Exige, multiversion kit

...and only ONE of those has been done by anyone else, and that was Heller a LOOOONG time ago...

bestest,

M.

Funnily enough, there is a Scalextric TVR Tuscan in at least two versions but Airfix choose not to release it. Maybe they feel there's insufficient international interest to make it worthwhile. I don't think TVR exported to the States for instance because of legislation, product liability and litigation etc. May be wrong but I thought they released a Ford GT 40 kit from the Scalextric range, maybe under the Hornby label?

I don't think the British market on it's own amounts to much in the way of car kits as opposed to aircraft. The market contracts further taking into account scale issues and further still regarding British subjects. I think only subjects with international appeal stand a chance of being kitted  and then only if they're firm favourites. I think a Shelby Cobra, GT 40, Veyron, EB110 and too many Ferraris to list would possibly sell, plus various Jags, Astons etc. As for the rest, maybe not.

Rally cars (tractors) currently seem to do well although I'd never buy one and tin-tops (dodgems) are popular with the public but not with me. Can't answer for others. Folks like what they like and there's the rub for the kit maker. Most of the esoteric stuff gets kitted in 1/43 but at around £40/£50 for a Dinky sized model only the well off buy many. As for bikes, sadly again British stuff doesn't make it. Yet you can buy a Brough Superior, Manx Norton, Triumph Speed Twin, TR6, Commando etc. in 1/12 from Minichamps. Funny old world innit...................

Dave         

That is all I want!

Kind regards, Ray

Agreed.  I've been looking for a kit to make into a model of my Dad's first car.

Edited by AnnC

May be wrong but I thought they (Scalextric/Airfix) released a Ford GT 40 kit from the Scalextric range, maybe under the Hornby label?

Yes - It was marketed by M & S.

It pops up on Ebay frequently for around a tenner. I've built one and have two more in my stash.

A lovely little kit.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Thanks Roy,

Have to look out for that one. When I first saw the slot-car I thought it would make a great little static model. Can't see why they don't re-issue it when they have the tooling. I never saw it in M&S; not the first place I'd check for models!

There's some great little motors in the slot car stuff, including a Lotus 49. Revell do some great subjects. Their Cobra Daytona looks really good as does the McLaren M6. Indycals do decals for the 49 and for the M8 which should be able to fit the M6 so there's hope................

Dave

The GT40 is often on Ebay (none at the mo - I just looked) and the highest I've seen it go for is around £12-£15.

Usually around £10 will get you one.

It's a good kit, nice fitting parts, excellent decals and even comes with paint and glue.....

Here's a few pics of my built one.....

Roy.P1010059-2.jpg

P1010060-4.jpg

The GT40 is often on Ebay (none at the mo - I just looked) and the highest I've seen it go for is around £12-£15.

Usually around £10 will get you one.

It's a good kit, nice fitting parts, excellent decals and even comes with paint and glue.....

Here's a few pics of my built one.....

Roy.

Nice job Roy .  That looks really good .  I KNEW I should have bought one when they were readily available

Edited by rs2man

There are(were) a lot more of those Hornby 1/32 ex-Scalextric kits than I realised:

Caterham, 911GT3R, Mini Cooper, Focus WRC, Lancer EVO7, Penske Camaro, Impreza WRC, Boss 302 Mustang, Mercedes CLK DTM

I've only ever seen the Lancer and Impreza in my LHS, and I thought that was it...

They've been at it for a while, then!

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

There are(were) a lot more of those Hornby 1/32 ex-Scalextric kits than I realised:

Caterham, 911GT3R, Mini Cooper, Focus WRC, Lancer EVO7, Penske Camaro, Impreza WRC, Boss 302 Mustang, Mercedes CLK DTM

I've only ever seen the Lancer and Impreza in my LHS, and I thought that was it...

They've been at it for a while, then!

bestest,

M.

Are you saying those cars in your list have been released at some time as plastic kits?

If so, where?

I'd love to find the Caterham in 1/32....

Roy.