New Year , new project...Airfix 1/24 Harrier GR3

Happy New Year to all on BM!

This year i want to bring some fun and nostalgia back into my hobby , so the plan is to build straight from the box with no extras , other than plasticard. First up will be my new Harrier. Im only going to cut the auxillary doors out on the intakes , add a bulkhead to the rear of the canopy and MAYBE add some very basic sidewall detail to the cockpit.

Ive made a start this morning. The pilot is probably the best one they have done in 1/24 and he is crying out for a good paintjob. Im figuring that he takes up most of the cockpit so i may add some basic structure detail to the cockpit but it may not be necessary. The canopy will be closed anyway. The engine has been built and now needs painting. Its actually been alot of fun so far , but you do have to battle with your mind telling you to add detail! I will even be keeping the surface detail!

I will post more later.

Heres the box. Stunning artwork and most inspirational.

DSC_6607.jpg

The engine actually has alot of detail for a kit from the 70s

DSC_6609.jpg

Heres the cockpit. Sidewalls and inst panels are actually quite good.

DSC_6610.jpg

• Like 1

The engine actually has alot of detail for a kit from the 70s

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i111/gunpowder17/DSC_66

Heres the cockpit. Sidewalls and inst panels are actually quite good.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i111/gunpowder17/DSC_6610.jpg

It's quite telling that when I look at those pics, my brain immediately says "AT-AT, Y-Wing and Tie Bomber parts, plus X-wing/Tie pilot". :blush:

You're right though, that box art is stunning. B)

Have fun. :thumbsup2:

Ive made more progress. I must say i have been very suprised at the fit. Its actually been OK. The new tail has been added. The tailplanes are the same original issue ones , the tailcone is the new one. I also itted the new GR3 nose. The poor fit of that is mostly down to my poor cutting. I have decided to leave the aux intake doors as they are. I dont want to start faffing around with them and i may build it "in flight" anyway.

fuse2.jpg

fuse1.jpg

Love that.

Is the pilot from the kit?

Good start indeed.

Adding seatbelts to the pilot on top of existing ones?

Oliver

Edited by shark 64