Wessex HU 5 build thread, my first....

heloman1

Hi This is my first build thread and it seems as though it might get quite involved. The kit is the new Italeri UH sic.(HU) 5, which whilst accurate in outline it has some accuasy issue as to panel line positioning and the rivet detail. my source of reference is the very good 4+ publication on the Westland Wessex, so notes will refere to that and the kit instructions.To the purist read rivet counter if you must, there is a list, of which more later.

First image starboarrd fuselage showing the corrected drilling positions for the various aireals.

The kit box art just so there's no confusion...

IMG_4703cropre_zps3d2fc717.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

The port side showing the same and the two replaceable panel moulding lines for the H-34 kit

IMG_0272.jpg

Nose section port and starboard.

IMG_0313-1.jpg

OK. enough for the time being in the next stage I will post my list of problems, solutions, rectifactions and solutions etc.

Happy Wessex modelling.

Colin

After Len pointed out the incorrect positioning of the fold in hoist trap door, I decided to act on it straight away. Taking dims from the 4+ drawings I repositioned th edoor and then filled the scribe lines' I cut a new door from .15 plasticard and the two bubbing strips.

IMG_0440_zps17ea68e0-1_zps600e3a4a.jpg

I then added the new door, the arrow top left indicates the correct line for the top edge of the platform door, one of the reasons the anti-slip decal not wanting to sit correctly. See Andrew Perins build post.

IMG_0442_zps5306e571.jpg

I then went back to the port nose section and drilled out the intake, the moulded in grill looks a little heavy.

IMG_0441_zpsb6b95086.jpg

Managed a little more work onthe Wessex this last couple of weeks, I'm afariad this build thread is taking a back seat to my Merlin build, apologies for the Wessexisti amongst us.

I added the jetisonable window surround from .35 plasticard ans after c couplepf days cut out the opening for the galzing. I also added the pressure re-fuel cap (lower) and the unpresurised refuel cap reinforcing plate. Just above that are the indicator light recess.

I made the first one (right) a tad oversize, so had a remake.

IMG_0831_zps41a0bb17.jpg

Until next time enjoy.

Colin

Edited by heloman1
  • Like 1

It really does look like a fine piece of moulding, doesn't it? Even the grille inside the port nose vent. I don't think I am going to be able to hold out for much longer ;)

Like you I'm a great fan of the 4+ drawings, they helped me get the results with my old Matchbox and Frog Wessexes that I was quite satisfied with.

Looking forwards to this one Colin, thanks.

bill

Hi This is my first build thread and it seems as though it might get quite involved. The kit is the new Italeri UH sic.(HU) 5, which whilst accurate in outline it has some accuasy issue as to panel line positioning and the rivet detail. my source of reference is the very good 4+ publication on the Westland Wessex, so notes will refere to that and the kit instructions.To the purist read rivet counter if you must, there is a list, of which more later.

First image starboarrd fuselage showing the corrected drilling positions for the various

OK. enough for the time being in the next stage I will post my list of problems, solutions, rectifactions and solutions etc.

Happy Wessex modelling.

Colin

Look forward to your build Colin ,I noted the maintenance drop down panel on the S/B side which has a hinged cut out to fit over the rescue winch is off line with the winch !! Hope they are going to update the wrong decal areas . Regards Len Edited by Greg B
Repeated images removed. Please show consideration for other forum users by not repeating images

Look forward to your build Colin ,I noted the maintenance drop down panel on the S/B side which has a hinged cut out to fit over the rescue winch is off line with the winch !! Hope they are going to update the wrong decal areas . Regards Len

Yes I noticed the offset panel too Len.

Probably because they didnt have a clue what it was for!

Until I really studied Walter deeply I confess I wouldn't have noticed either. :)

No one seems to have noticed two different winch/hoist mechanisms either. Tall case or low casing.

I wonder if that is for the two differently rated reel lengths I saw posted a few months ago somewhere?

bill

Hi Bill, You're going to have to wait for episode two but yes I had noticed the hist opening. I think it's because the hoist in the kit is for the H-34 (Italeri trying to get the kit into an HU5 without doing too much research) which was only rated at 400 pounds and therefore smaller. In fact I found a pic on the Sikorsky site this am which shows the same body mounted through 90 degrees on an S-55.The good news is that the supprt frame is OK but we need a new hoist body.....

Again Bill, It's only a Walter if it was a Crab cab, otherwise it was a Wessex or a Wessi or a cab.

To Warris, your going to love this, in the meantime start fondling the parts.

To Len, Don't worry, I think I've got most things covered and those I miss I'm sure you guys will put me right.

In the meantime keep dreamin go of a perfect Wessex....

Colin

Mantog, nice detail to add to my load of pictures (hundreds of pictures)

Colin, yes I know. Er did you notice how both of mine were modified to "crab cabs" from the versions flowen by nautical types

:)

It's just that it was an 18sqn one that set me off on a very rocky road many years ago ;)

(I hated letting my mates crawl aboard whilst I got to drive the Landy back to Castlemartin one sunny weekend TBQH I'd expected it to be a 72 sqn bird...still confused wondering what she was up to in West Wales, '76 ish)

But my next 1/72 will be webfooted, HAS3 most likely.

Back to this, a new hoist isnt going to be too taxing either. I still think this is a marvellous place to start from

Hi guys. I don't know how different the HC2 was to the HU5 but hopefully this mini Wessex walkaround will be of use! Just scroll down until you get to the Wessex gallery.

http://www.jetartavi...we-do/aircraft/

Thanks for the pointer to the HC2 walkround, some very good detail shots there. Basically the difference is that the HC/HAR's have small cabin windows along with a different aerial fit. Ali at A2zee www.A2zeemodels.co.uk has a conversion kit you can use with the Italeri kit for an HC/HAR. Then Hannants have an RAF types decal sheet which I think is an up scaled version of the old Modeldecals sheet.

Colin

Mantog, nice detail to add to my load of pictures (hundreds of pictures)

Colin, yes I know. Er did you notice how both of mine were modified to "crab cabs" from the versions flowen by nautical types

:)

It's just that it was an 18sqn one that set me off on a very rocky road many years ago ;)

(I hated letting my mates crawl aboard whilst I got to drive the Landy back to Castlemartin one sunny weekend TBQH I'd expected it to be a 72 sqn bird...still confused wondering what she was up to in West Wales, '76 ish)

But my next 1/72 will be webfooted, HAS3 most likely.

Back to this, a new hoist isnt going to be too taxing either. I still think this is a marvellous place to start from

Hi Bill, My apologies I hadn't noticed, forgive me.

I had a look at he hoist yesterday pm and the suppert frame is good to use, althopugh I may add some body to the fittings as they seem a little ill defined The hoist body from the Airfix Lynx with some corrections/modification and additions will do the job. Then once the piping/wiring is added it will look the biz.

Colin

Hi Colin

Thanks for taking the time to lay out a Mk V build, really going to follow this with interest as I do need to build one of my cabs. I will go for XS506 X-E ( my old 847 cab) Will you be using the xtra decals to correct the kit offerings? :mike:

Will you be introducing any of the after market stuff?

I will be picking you up a Lynx in the New Year if you still want one?? cause you do.

Happy New year shippers

:drink:

G'day Colin,

I am really looking forward to this. You may want to edit your post though as you appear to have included the same fuselage pic twice,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Mike
Removing repeated photos

OOOOPs. Hi Pappy, didn't notice that one, thanks how could I, I'll post the other half later today.

To The Woos question. Hi Ian, I'll have to get some pics of Ali he has all the bits unless I took some myself before I shipped the parts off to him. I'll have a dig. For those who may not know, I've made a folded tail section including rectifying the tailrotor gearbox housing/pylon leading edge joint a new PE grill for the top of the g/b housing and the intermediate g/b cooling air grill. A folded main rotorhead with corrected and added detail which will have the blade fold saddles included. and a rebuilt tailwheel yolk. I've made it so as to utilise the kit baldes as per the Lynx kit. So no floppy resinblades.

If you all want to pester Ali I'm sure he'll send you a package.

Are the Xtra Decals any good i've only seen them at a distance as it were?

Colin

I shall be looking forward to progress on this Colin... especially as you admitted to being a retired professional model maker in another thread. No pressure then! :wicked:

I shall be looking forward to progress on this Colin... especially as you admitted to being a retired professional model maker in another thread. No pressure then! :wicked:

Hi Mike, this one is going to be a labour of love, I'll try and lead everyone into making a good Weesex for themselves. As for professional and no pressure, we'll see.

A question if I may, I inadvetantly post two pics of the port fus in my post above, how do I delete this and then secondly how do I add subsequent pics to the following parts?

Colin

Going to follow this carefully,have one of these to build but i have the Rotorcraft HAR2 conversion planning on building a Leuchars machine when i can find the time.

As I have a second Wessex kit which I used to make the HAS Mk1 parts, the folded tail rotor and folded main rotor, I'm waitng for the HAR windows and will marry them to the remains of the one kit to make an ealry HAS MK1.

Glad to have you watching.

Colin

Hi Mike, this one is going to be a labour of love, I'll try and lead everyone into making a good Weesex for themselves. As for professional and no pressure, we'll see.

A question if I may, I inadvetantly post two pics of the port fus in my post above, how do I delete this and then secondly how do I add subsequent pics to the following parts?

Colin

G'day Colin,

Apologies if mike or someone else has already answered your question.

At the bottom, you will find an EDIT button. Click on this and you will then have the options of either a QUICK or FULL EDITOR.

The quick will just present the text with the pics provided as image URL's, the FULL EDITOR will give you the whole page with the pics.

Right click on the offending pic and then select CUT or DELETE.

You then add place the cursor as required and add the pic as required.

cheers,

Pappy

Colin mate, either my 'pooter has declared war on Wessexii or me--- or yours didn't pop a picture into the top slot

Might be worth you checking it again :(

I really am going to HAVE to get one or two of these in

Missed out at SMW, saw them at twenty pounds, said "I'll pop back for one of those" to myself

When errand was done, popped back

None left :(

Ah me, woe is me…

b

Edited by perdu

Colin mate, either my 'pooter has declared war on Wessexii or me--- or yours didn't pop a picture into the top slot

Might be worth you checking it again :(

I really am going to HAVE to get one or two of these in

Missed out at SMW, saw them at twenty pounds, said "I'll pop back for one of those" to myself

When errand was done, popped back

None left :(

Ah me, woe is me…

b

Try modelzone if you have one nearby, I think this is the link @ £19.99

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/model-kits/aircraft/wessex-uh-5-falklands-anniversary-2720.html

Mac

Edited by macgregor
  • Like 1

Hi, I edited out the second port side pic after pappy's instructions, now still have to insert the starboard but in the meantime I was trying to find pics of the main rotorhead tail pylon.and rebuilt tailwheel yolk.

Colin

Hi, I edited out the second port side pic after pappy's instructions, now still have to insert the starboard but in the meantime I was trying to find pics of the main rotorhead tail pylon.and rebuilt tailwheel yolk.

Colin

OK, Guys the starboard side pic is now in place.

Colin

Look forward to your build Colin ,I noted the maintenance drop down panel on the S/B side which has a hinged cut out to fit over the rescue winch is off line with the winch !! Hope they are going to update the wrong decal areas . Regards Len

Hi Len. thanks for pointing that out, I'd missed it the trap/drop down door need to be moved aft by 6mm I may make a complete door rather than fill and rescribe, I can then add the rubbing strips. Not sure yet. The aft hoist frame leg pickup is also a tad to far aft!

I've just rescribed the panel line below the cockpit and the front edge of fhte transmission platform and taken afresh pic, I'll post this soon.

I'm sure we're going to uncover more than I've already found to correct.

Colin