Older build of Matchbox 1/32 Sea Venom

Here is a build of the Matchbox Sea Venom I did about 5 or so years ago. Was reminded of this whilst reading through Big Kev's Spitfire build on LSP (looking for more tips and inspiration)

One of our club members worked for Lesney Matchbox here in Peterborough and had quite a few kits stashed away. He agreed to sell a couple to club members and I always wanted to do the Venom (this was just before Revell re-released the kit)

A side by side build quickly ensued with me and a fellow club member building the Venom. Bill built a folded wing version and I went for the wings out with engine exposed and various panels open. Quite a healthy bit of competition between the two builds and a finish deadline was set for the November club meeting that year.

I did manage to finish on time and won the 'competition' by default! Bill's build was better but not quite finished.

Very enjoyable build by the way and we were lucky the old kits had been stored well with the decals standing the test of time.

venom1.jpg

ven3.jpg

ven5.jpg

ven4.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Steve.

• Like 9

Pretty good Steve,just goes to show that in the right hands it's possible with

this old kit.Hats off to MB for even doing a 1/32nd Sea Venom.

I like the way you've washed the mainwheel hubs(at last someone else that does it),

really adds "life" to a model moreso than panel line washes.

Thanks Miggers. I do like to try and make sure any weathering and highlighting is consistent on my builds. Nothing worse than applying a wash and staining to wheel wells and leave the wheels clean and shiny.

Looking at the pics now I recall a lot of the detailing I did 'disappearing' in to the build. I spent a lot of time on the wheel wells and landing gear. I suppose the open bays behind the nose draw the eye away from the less obvious bits. I am very proud of the open catches on the panels though, they are all made from the thicker foil you get pies in, lol

When the models were finished both Bill and myself said we would like to do another oob to compare and contrast, never did though.

• 3 years later...