1:48 Revell-Monogram F/A-18C

This the Revell-Monogram F/A-18C updated to depict a Late Lot F/A-18C Hornet in the markings of VMFA-212 CO's jet circa 2005.

VMFA-212_14.jpg

Aftermarket enhancements include cockpit parts from Black Box, replacement wheels from Royale Resin, MAW-Decals resin nose & Late Lot centerline pylon, and intake covers & nav lights from Steel Beach. Photo-etched HUD frame and canopy details came from the Model Technologies set included with the Hi-Tech boxing of the Monogram Hornet.

123012LowAngleLOverall.jpg

Many Hasegawa parts were used in place of the Monogram parts. These include the wing leading and trailing surfaces, boarding ladder, wing pylons, external tanks, and afterburner tail feathers.

123012HighOverallRear.jpg

The colors were primarily Model Master, Polly S, and Tamiya acrylics.

123012LowAngleLadder.jpg

Updates to kit includes several Late Lot Hornet features (confirmed in photos) such as the IFF antennas on the nose, swept UHF antennas, GPS dome antenna, NACES seat, and angled centerline pylon. (I neglected to replicate the "goldish tint" on the canopy that this jet had.)

123012Cockpit.jpg

The AIM-120 AMRAAM and AIM-9X Sidewinders were sourced from the Revell Super Hornet kit.

122312HiddenAMRAAM.jpg

Squadron markings were Superscale decals mixed with MAW decals to overcome the shortcomings of the Superscale set. Standard stencils were a mix of MAW decals and Fightertown decals.

123012RightProfile.jpg

The WIP thread is here -> LINK

This project just gets in under the wire for 2012, but its finally finished!

123012OverallFinished.jpg

Critiques are certainly welcome, but I'll admit I made a mess installing the windscreen and canopy. If anyone has suggestions how to fix this problem on future projects, I'm open to reading your solutions.

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year!

Edited by John B
  • Like 5

Thank you for all your kind compliments and "likes" I received. I must admit that look at the model with a much more critical eye. There are things that I find glaring and would like to fix. (The tanks look too clean, the AIM-9X seeker heads weren't represented, the entire model could use a touch more weathering, I didn't paint the FLIR sensor window, etc)

Thank you everyone. After I've tackled a few other projects, I'll revisit this one. I'll post updated photos once I've made those improvements.

Very good

I have wanted to build myself one of these for a while but keep getting distracted by WW2 bombers

• 11 months later...