What magazine to subscribe to?

Simon Cornes

I am a subscriber to SAM for the last 4 years and, before that, when it was the new kid on the block in the 70's. My subscription expires about now and I'm wondering if I should change to SAMI or MAI? There are various aspects of SAM that I find a bit annoying. I won't list them because we all have our own thoughts.

In a magazine I want kit builds with useful accounts of how the kit goes together. I want to know about aftermarket bits and pieces and new releases of both kits and AM. Ideas about modelling techniques using materials I can get from my LMS. I'm not so keen on plans, although I used to love the ones in SAM in the 70's although I'm not sure how accurate they are now and maybe ignorance is bliss? I'm not so sure about book reviews and I certainly don't want to much bull in the editorial. Finally I'm not sure whether I want to read about full sized aircraft because I get that from Flypast.

Maybe all of the current crop are as bad? Maybe it would be best to let the subscription lapse and then just buy the magazine I fancy that particular month?

What do you think?

Simon

I used to subscribe to air forces monthly, bit they took the p1$$ and not one issue in 24 months arrived earlier than one week after it appeared in the newsagent.

I cancelled my subscription and now get it on time.

Key publishing did not listen to my complaint.

They no longer get my money in advance - apathy and ignorance will cost them in the long run.

I like Airfix Model World, good bit of fact mixed with some good builds. The fact that it covers models from all different genres means that you can also pick up tips from the non-aircraft fraternity too.

I like Spence's Cold War Modeller too, if I had to subscribe to only one then that would be it.

Wez

I'd try Military Illustrated Modeller first. Pricey, but the aircraft edition is bimonthly and has what you are looking for, I think.

I also buy:

MAI: this might fit your needs, but there's a fair amount of 'fluff' I am not interested in (aircraft profiles and endless large photos of Eduard etch sets and SAC metal undercarriage, etc.)

SAMI: I like this magazine, but I expect it won't be what you are looking for.

Airfix Model World: Pretty good, although I find their house writing style a little clunky. But the build articles are thorough and lengthy. If you are only interested in aircraft, the content is diluted somewhat by other subject matter.

Hi Simon, I think you've dicided for yourself, don't renew, then you have the choice. Personally I only subcribe to AFM, great pics and up to date news. I used to get Airfix Modelworld, which I quite liked but it disapeared form the news stands. I get most of what I want on the internet or right here. I've been helped a number of time by the good memebers of BM, thanks everyone.

Colin

Military Illustrated Modeller - air edition electronic sub, quite like this, similar to air modeller.

MAI - electronic sub, but won't be renewing as i'm not liking the new format and its not focussed enough for my interests

Spencers mag as well when it comes out

I like Spence's Cold War Modeller too, if I had to subscribe to only one then that would be it.

Wez

Thanks a lot guys! With a bit of luck, some prevailing wind and this damned flu leaving me alone, the next issue should be out some time in February...

Spence :)

Spencers mag as well when it comes out

I use the three/one article rule - if it has three articles of reasonable interest or one really interesting article I'll buy it.

As a result I don't buy many magazines but others may buy lots using the same rule.

I have a pretty good library of back copies (more useful than most current ones) but unless you have a good index system, magazines are not much use for reference.

Edited by Ed Russell

SAMI seem to build review kits rather than commenting on sprue observations which is a big tick from me. In depth builds seem to occur in most publications but they are not always ones own choice so a lot of page turning happens in my home when mine arrives. I currently take SAMI but had all the others on subs at one time or another. Looking back on them, the ones I find most to re read are Aeroplane Monthly (pre 2000), Airfix Magazine (1960s and 70s), SAM (pre Mike McEvoy retirement), PAM News/PKC and Aircraft Modelworld (loved those dreadful but inspiring builds-made me feel good about my own mediocre efforts). General modelling magazines like Airfix have some good stuff but lots of other content which might not be of interest therefore a waste of paper and subscription money.

It would seem that we have perhaps reached some sort of a crossroads in modelling magazines, particularly aircraft.

Perhaps the way is open for a fresh start with something like the defunct Plastic Kit Constructor or old Airfix Mag of A.W. Hall style.

• 2 months later...

My plans seem to have gone to cock! First of I found that I had to buy SAM but I also bought two other mags!! And then this weekend I bought the latest SAM and SAMI !! I was supposed to be saving money! Drat!!

Simon

The internet is such a huge resource now that I very rarely, if ever, by a model mag any more. Sites such as this, ARC, and various walkaround sites provide all the info I need. The fact that modelling news is instant now on the web, makes magazines virtually redundant. I think the one main advantage magazines have, however, is that they often have scale plans.

Edited by andy wood

Exactly! SAMI has some very interesting profiles for the Vampire T11 and plans with scales from, 1/48th down to 1/144th by Chris Sandham-Bailey but I don't know who he is so are they accurate? They look okay I have to say!

Simon

l find l pick and choose what ones l want based on if it has an article of interest. Spence's mag is the only one l get as l find it more interesting then the rest

The internet is such a huge resource now that I very rarely, if ever, by a model mag any more. Sites such as this, ARC, and various walkaround sites provide all the info I need. The fact that modelling news is instant now on the web, makes magazines virtually redundant. I think the one main advantage magazines have, however, is that they often have scale plans.

Fair point IF you want to spend hours of spare time trawling on the internet. Not everybody does so I cannot personally agree that magazines are virtually redundant. I use a computer as part of my day to day work. The last thing I personally want is to spend even more hours on a PC at home. I don't subscribe to any but, I do buy SAM / SAMI/ MAI & Airfix Modelworld. I reckon that's MORE than enough !! Lol! :lol:

I find there is a practical aspect as well. It's a lot easier to have a mag open on your bench beside you as you work!! I can't do that with my PC!! :lol: .

I don't personally subscribe because I might not want every issue. I think Simon's best approach here would be to select and buy monthly according to what interests him. Certainly works for me but, clearly we all have our own personal approach. As an aside, if it ever got to the stage where magazines became "internet only", I'd probably find a new hobby. :lol: . I love sprawling on my sofa,pot of coffee on the table & a bundle of mags to read!!

Allan

• Like 1

I used to subscribe to several magazines but, of late, have become quite dismayed with the quality of editorial content in the vast majority. SAM was my all time favourite in my younger days but is now a shadow of its former glory, with shallow articles and near tabloid style of editorial. SAMI has become no more than a glorified monthly catalogue. The one magazine that I have subscribed to from inception is MAI which has the annoying habit of lurching from an extremely interesting and informative edition to one with next to nothing though I guess this is down to readers' individual interests. Airfix Modelworld, IMHO, is going from strength to strength and, as one co-respondent has already alluded to, one can learn from articles covering other genres so all is not lost when you pick up a copy with a fair number of non-aircraft related material. One thing about living and working in Norway...I have had to become far more selective in my magazine buying...the cheapest in my local Newsagent is Fine Scale Modeller and that works out at £11 an issue.....Airfix Modelworld is £12.50 so I do turn to the internet more often these days.

In sum, I would opt for MAI and Airfix Modelworld for a healthy balance of news and reviews together with some cracking reference and meaningful build articles.

Mark

Aside from personal preference, there's a big upside with magazines that is much harder to get from the web: Finding subjects that you wouldn't otherwise - the editors touch.

When you want to read about something specific the web is unmatched - you turn to google, you enter the search words and you find what you seek (hopefully). However with my subscriptions to MAI and SAMI I for instance get a look into car modeling that I wouldn't seek out and from being a dedicated aircraft modeler I've now dabbled in AFVs, cars, motorcycles and I'm looking for a nice ship model just because I've become interested after reading articles. As for SAMI they've promised me a new series by Mike Grant and that is reason enough for me.

Generally speaking, I can sometimes feel this Google-culture that's developing is a bit negative. Instant wealth of information SURE, but it can breed narrow-mindedness. It's too easy to ONLY read exactly what you were looking for and never see new information, stuff you never knew you wanted to read.

And since I haven't bought a tablet yet: magazines still rule the bathroom.

Good for you, Wiz - I may (will probably...) be accused of bias, but I feel the same way. That's why I get around 6-8 magazines per month - modelling, aviation and history - because they often contain more and better articles than can be found on the internet, that are generally better written and more detailed, and often explore obscure and thought-provoking subjects. While that can also be the case with the internet, I see far too much copy/pasting going on. The internet has it's place, but it is not the be-all and end-all for the casual researcher and hobbyist.

Another issue I have with computers in general is that I just cannot read lengthy articles on them - if I find something compelling, I need to print it out!

Then, with tablets, there is the size issue - size DOES matter. We just this weekend bought a tablet, so I am going to try a couple of trial mags to see what I think; however, I don't anticipate rushing to subscribe to mags online.

Maybe its a generational thing, but I do prefer the tactile and visual pleasures of holding a real book or magazine. Pretty pixels don't rub me the same way..... :winkgrin:

Edited by Paul Bradley

I still miss the Airfix Magazine. An eclectic mix of subjects each month and articles on 'conversions' that would tell you how to combine the bits from two ropey kits in order to make a third. Modelling life was much simpler then.

Cliff

Generally speaking, I can sometimes feel this Google-culture that's developing is a bit negative. Instant wealth of information SURE, but it can breed narrow-mindedness. It's too easy to ONLY read exactly what you were looking for and never see new information, stuff you never knew you wanted to read.

And since I haven't bought a tablet yet: magazines still rule the bathroom.

Could not have put it better myself!! I sometimes wonder if this "instant satisfaction" culture which the internet promotes might not actually be detrimental to our hobby. As for the rest, well, the only "tablet" you will ever see in my flat is of the kind I take for medicinal purposes!! :lol: .

Good for you, Wiz - I may (will probably...) be accused of bias, but I feel the same way. That's why I get around 6-8 magazines per month - modelling, aviation and history - because they often contain more and better articles than can be found on the internet, that are generally better written and more detailed, and often explore obscure and thought-provoking subjects. While that can also be the case with the internet, I see far too much copy/pasting going on. The internet has it's place, but it is not the be-all and end-all for the casual researcher and hobbyist.

Another issue I have with computers in general is that I just cannot read lengthy articles on them - if I find something compelling, I need to print it out!

Then, with tablets, there is the size issue - size DOES matter. We just this weekend bought a tablet, so I am going to try a couple of trial mags to see what I think; however, I don't anticipate rushing to subscribe to mags online.

Maybe its a generational thing, but I do prefer the tactile and visual pleasures of holding a real book or magazine. Pretty pixels don't rub me the same way..... :winkgrin:

I can agree when it comes to real aviation, but I can't when it comes to modelling: the wealth of information available on a certain subject that can be found reading through only a few websites (including this forum) way outweighs IMHO what can be found in dozens of issues of today magazines. In the same way as the web can be full of cut-and-pasted information, the magazines are often full of oft repeated myths and misconceptions that date from decades ago. It is more likely to find someone who knows well a subject on the web than finding one writing on a magazine, where the same author might have to deal with several different subjects.

Magazines also tend to focus on recent releases only, while the web gives access to information on kits from every era.

Of course web based resources can be deceiving and it takes time to learn how to discriminate the good from the useless from the utter rubbish (and there's plenty of rubbish on the web for sure), but overall the quality of the information available today is way better.

There are of course exceptions, but I feel that the magazine that proved to be a true exception is not what it used to be anymore.

After having spent several years buying 3 magazines every month (and sometimes a fourth), I now only buy something if there are interesting articles... but it means I'm now buying 3-4 magazines a year at best. The money I save on magazines ends up being spent on books, that still give me plenty of information while being way easier to read than a PC in the bathroom.. :D

I'm another who used to get lots and lots of magazines every issue, but have shrunk to NO regular modelling magazines at all. OK, IPMS on subscription, for what that's worth outside of IPMS-specific information. There are a number of influences on this decision, and access into the library shelves is one of them, but mainly because the amount of INFORMATION in the average modelling magazine has shrunk to diminutive amounts. Large pretty pictures of made-up models do very little for me. Yes, they are nice, but.... they don't inspire me, and too often are spreading myth and misinformation rather than genuine history. More importantly, they are squeezing out space that could be devoted to content.

Another major influence is that I've been around for a while, I've spread my interest around a lot, I don't really need another article on familiar aircraft from familiar times in familiar schemes. Not unless it is really good, well researched, and telling me something new. Come back Paul Lucas, or at least the old MAM and Air Enthusiast. Such things were never the main meat of modelling magazines, but they have become vanishingly rare.

I'm well aware that the majority of modellers haven't "seen it all before". Magazines should produce articles that cover the well-known pieces of history in preference to tiny niches. Long may they do so - but unless the stodge is leavened with something new and interesting I'm not buying.

Width of subject choice is another matter. There's great value to looking outside the niche for ideas and inspiration. I model 1/72 and 1/144 aircraft, 1/700 ships, 1/76 tanks and N gauge railways, and they do cross-fertilise. However, a magazine that spent its time on 1/48 aircraft, 1/350 ships, 1/35 tanks, O gauge railways, figures, cars and modern trucks would have nothing at all for me, despite its subject width. The hobby is split into many separate niches, and it is impossible to produce a magazine that would satisfy any majority.

I use the internet a lot, and whilst entertaining in itself it is superb on rapid access to much information. However, I admit that I have not mastered the use of digital technology as archive. I find it more difficult to remember where to find such and such a posting than to recall where I put that interesting article on that Do217K-3 shot down over Portsmouth....or whatever. Not that is becoming any easier to find such articles: see above on access to archives! Too many magazines can become as much a problem as too few. Perhaps the key matter is that I have not yet mastered archiving, or perhaps the habit of taking out key articles and junking the remainder. Do I really need to keep 50s Air Pictorials, 60s Airfix and a full set of Scale Models? Probably not, but weeding them would take time out from modelling. Or nattering on the internet.

A French mag called Wing Masters, just wish i could understand the text a bit better because they do some very interesting builds . Here in France I rely on whatever magazine my son sends over from time to time. One thing that I wont be doing again is buying one to read on line , which i tried recently, what a joke!!. I always like to have a magazine handy to read, but to be quite honest with you I have learnt more in the last couple of months by subscribing to this site !!.

I did try an issue of military illustrated modeler last year, but to be quite honest with you, i find that continueing a build article over 2 issues a con, just trying to get you to buy the next issue.