1/72 Tamiya Mosquito B Mk.IV with 'Highball' conversion

• 4 weeks later...

With the snow last weekend putting paid to my travel plans, I had time to make a start on my second mosquito.

Parts02__TamiyaMosquitoHighball_zpsd17e4

The Paragon Design conversion gives the choice of two machines, a UK based machine or an Australia based machine. I have decided to model the Australian version, this requires replacement lower nacelle intakes and the four bladed propeller.

Build02_TamiyaMosquitoHighball_zpsd8c61d

Build01_TamiyaMosquitoHighball_zpsb4c9eb

Assemble fuselage with replacement bomb bay.

Build06_TamiyaMosquitoHighball_zps05b8e3

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Masked and primed.

Got the day off tomorrow hope to get some colour on it tomorrow.

Build09_TamiyaMosquitoHighball_zpsee2868c5.jpg

Build10_TamiyaMosquitoHighball_zpsa1328989.jpg

One thing I am struggling is with is the colour of the bomb. Pretty sure I have seen one is a museum somewhere but can't remember. Any thoughts on a colour?

• Like 1

I went with standard RAF Dark Green on the two whiffed Highball ones I have.

Nice work so far, although I have to say I'm not too impressed with the Paragon tropical intakes, they seem a bit flat compared to the real thing which seems to curve up a bit more following the cowling. I know when I go back to doing Mosquitos I'll be using a resin copy of the Vokes filter for the Hurricane II which seems closer the mark.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

• 4 weeks later...

Paint and decals applied.

Build19_TamiyaMosquitoHighball_zpsa2897b

Build20_TamiyaMosquitoHighball_zps93f9a6

Disaster all most strikes as the carpet monster eats three of the resin blades. How I couldn't find a propeller blade on the floor I don't know. Was able to replace them with cut down versions of the kits propeller. Looks ok from a distant, not sure they will stand close scrutiny.

Build21_TamiyaMosquitoHighball_zps26b195

The Tamiya Mosquito isn't that hard to find. My Modelzone has at least one on the shelf or try ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-Aircraft-Kit-1-72-60753-Mosquito-B-Mk-IV-PR-Mk-IV-/330839915155

Avoid the Hasegawa or Revell rebox - it's nowhere near as good as the Tamiya kit.

She's looking really good and I'm looking forward to seeing her finished.