1/20 Ferrari "Mother & Son"

edi956

Hi guys,

happy new year to all of you.

After a period of my real work with very few time for modeling, in which I opened/closed some box of kit, finally I resolved to make a couple of ancient Ferrari, which I named "Mother & Son" (like an old song of Cat Steven: "Father and Son"): Ferrari D50 and Ferrari 801.

After the death of Alberto Ascari in 1955, Lancia decided to retire from competition and sold out D50 to Ferrari: side pontoons disappeared and became part of the bodywork. Thanks to this model, JM Fangio obtained his 4th World Championship in 1956.

In 1957 D50 evolved into 801 (8 for the number of cylinders, and 01 for Formula 1): side pontoons completely disappeared and the tanks were divided into three smaller tanks (two on each side of the cockpit and one behind the driver); the power of the engine increased and at the front the suspension was changed with that of 555 Supersqualo.

Despite new drivers such as Musso, Collins and Hawthorn no victory was achieved while Fangio, now at the wheels of Maserati, obtained his 5th World Champioship.

The kits are 1/20 MFH: K049C for D50 and K236 for 801.

For D50 I realized the chassis 010 which obtained pole position and 8th as final result at the 1956 Italian GP, with Fangio/Castellotti #22.

For 801 I realized the chassis 010 which obtained the 4th as final result at the 1957 German GP, with Musso #6.

Both kits are very well done and they could be mounted OOB...but some changes were done to improve the realism.

The steps of mounting are the same for both cars: where they are different, it will be mentioned in the WIP.

First step of mounting is the chassis, otherwise it is impossible to go on with the other parts.

Even if instructions say to paint the chassis with Gull Grey, I preferred to use Humbrol 165 Medium Sea Grey since it better matches the original colour of the chassis:

ms_1.jpg

ms_2.jpg

Instructions now suggest to make gearbox with the axles and the tube of the chassis:

ms_3.jpg

ms_4.jpg

but with no reference points it is impossible to achieve a right positioning of these parts: so I preferred to glueint the gearbox only to the chassis, after having enlarged its plaques ( B):

ms_5.jpg

ms_6.jpg

ms_7.jpg

then axles and tube could be glued in the right way:

ms_8.jpg

ms_9.jpg

The D50 is one of my favourite F1 cars though I prefer the pontooned version.

I have built the D50, very nice kit.

From your other builds I will be watching with interest.

Cheers,

Warren

Thanks to Warren for his interest to this building.

Go to the front part of the car.

These pics of the time show the D50 (Ferrari version) and 801, respectively:

d50_2a_versione_01.jpg

801-04.jpg

as you can see, the engine and its ancillaries are more or less the same: so I'll show you the mounting of an engine, underlineing when a difference.

Here the engine block, painted Alclad Matt Aluminium (then washed with Gunze Smoke and dry black oil colour); rivets on the heads are those of the kit:

ms_10.jpg

ms_11.jpg

ms_12.jpg

Wiring for spark plugs is into this tube, where holes are virtual:

ms_13.jpg

so I made 0.4 mm holes (up in the pic)

Then I cut two black wires (two for each side) for the connection to the distributor:

ms_14.jpg

meanwhile I prepared the thinner wires for the spark plugs:

ms_15.jpg

then I glued them in their position:

ms_16.jpg

ms_17.jpg

moreover I cut some little black wires which I glued at the end of the previous wires, towards the engine:

ms_18.jpg

ms_19.jpg

Finally, all the wires were connected to the tube shown before:

ms_20.jpg

ms_21.jpg

On 801 only there were two other tubes (red arrows), which were Grey and NOT Black as the instructions said:

ms_22.jpg

ms_23.jpg

FRONT SUSPENSION

This is different on the two models.

This is that of D50, with the whole p/e parts of the spring, before and after glueing:

ms_24.jpg

ms_25.jpg

Now instructions say to fit these parts to the chassis (red arrows):

ms_26.jpg

For their right positioning I suggest to use the upper arm to keep them in position:

ms_27.jpg

Meanwhile brakes were prepared: they are white metal + p'e parts.

All were painted with a 1:1 mix of Gunze Gun Metal and Iron:

ms_28.jpg

Finally brakes could be added to the front suspension:

ms_29.jpg

This is the front suspension of 801 already finished:

ms_30.jpg

ms_31.jpg

To finish the front of the cars it's time to fit the radiators (a little different on the two cars):
ms_32.jpg
ms_33.jpg

and the engine trumpets with their meshes:
ms_34.jpg
ms_35.jpg

Here D50 and 801 together:
ms_36.jpg
ms_37.jpg

Finally a back step to finish the rear suspension.
Here the whole p/e parts, then glued together:
ms_38.jpg
ms_39.jpg

Rear suspension was mounted OOB: the upper and lower arms before and then the rear spring:
ms_40.jpg
ms_41.jpg
ms_42.jpg

Great wrk as usual, the detail on these kits is superb.

I like the way you are building the two together showing the evolution from one to the other.

Keep up the good work.

Warren

Lovely looking pair of builds and so intricate.  Why was the engine mounted at an angle?

So the driveshaft could pass beside the driver - common practice in the '50's. Meant the driver could sit lower thus keeping frontal area down.

Smashing models!. Last Lancia Ferrari I built was from a Merit kit in 196-something. Had about ten parts!

Look forward to seeing the finished articles.

Thanks all, particularly to Kiwidave4 for his explanation.

COCKPIT

Plate, pedals and tunnel for the tube which runs from engine to gearbox are all p/e parts: here they are mounted but not yet washed.
ms_43.jpg
ms_44.jpg
ms_45.jpg

Few words on the tanks on each side of the cockpit.
They have some p/e parts to simulate rivets (red arrow)...but I preferred to make holes and put 0.4 mm rivets:
ms_46.jpg

801 had these two tanks (plus another one behind the driver):
ms_47.jpg
ms_48.jpg

Whereas D50 had two big tanks on each side of the car, invisible from cockpit; without tanks it remains a great space not present in the real car:
ms_48b.jpg

so I made two panels with an aluminium sheet:
ms_49.jpg
ms_50.jpg

Great work Edi, really coming along nicely.

Just one comment, the MFH D50 I built had the tanks in the side pods similar to those you show on the 801. I can't remember which version of the D50 I have. Mine didn't have the former for the inlet mesh though,

Cheers,

Warren

Edited by Madmonk

Hi Warren,

may be I did not explain too well.

Both kits have those little tanks, but they are right for 801 only, whereas D50 had two big tanks on the side of the car: they were the mean feature of the car, separated on D50, connected to the body on Ferrari-D50.

Different on the two cars was the dashboard: red for D50 aluminium for 801:
ms_51.jpg
ms_52.jpg
ms_53.jpg

One part of the kit which could be improved is the steering-wheel.
That of the kit i a rounded white metal part with a central p/e, while the real car had a central aluminium part with wood up and down:
801_0008_30_collins_ita57_01.jpg

So I sanded away the lower and upper part of the white metal steering (A), reducing it to a thin circle ( B):
ms_54.jpg

Then I glued, up and down, some wood pieces, then sanded and rounded.
As the real car some 0.4 mm holes were made where I put some 0.4 mm aluminium rivets.
Finally I applied the circle with Ferrari logo and I painted wood with a couple of coats of transparent clear:
ms_55.jpg
ms_56.jpg
ms_57.jpg
ms_58.jpg
ms_59.jpg

After having prepared the steering colums, I glued the steering wheels in place:
ms_60.jpg
ms_61.jpg
ms_62.jpg
ms_63.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your appreciations.

Before proceeding a thing to be underlined: on the 801 steering wheels had 3 rays for most of the season, but from Monza onwards it had 4 rays:
801-02.jpg
801-05.jpg

Another part which could be improved is the seat: resins for 801 and white metal for D50, but the originals were leather covered.
I took the skin by an old wallet, reducing it tickness by removing its inside tessue.
Then I covered the seats and the headrests:
ms_64.jpg
ms_65.jpg
ms_66.jpg
ms_67.jpg
ms_68.jpg

Before somebody say something about the dimensions of the electric wire I used for D50: YES it is a bit large but I used it to cover the mistakes I made glueing the leather... ;-)

BODYWORK

D50 has the whole body by white metal:
ms_69.jpg

whereas 801 has both resin and white metal:
ms_70.jpg

On the rear part of bodywork all the simulated rivets were changed with real rivets (0.4-0.7-1.0-1.2 mm) and the simulated holes were changed with real holes:
ms_71.jpg
ms_72.jpg

On D50 the body did not fix very well at the upper arm of rear suspension, so some sanding work was needed:
ms_73.jpg
ms_74.jpg

Moreover, paying attention to the pics of the time I doscovered that the rivets on the sides of D50 disappeared during the last races of the year, so they had to be sanded away:
ms_75.jpg
ms_76.jpg
ms_77.jpg

Those rivets were changed with others at the basis of the sides, while other rivets were added on the borders of the cockpit:
ms_78.jpg
ms_79.jpg
ms_80.jpg

Finally, on the bodywork of D50 another little change had to be done at the back of the sides and at the end of the exhausts, where the lower part of the chassis went out from bodywork:
ms_81.jpg
ms_82.jpg
ms_83.jpg

EXAHUST

They are white metal and coupled 2 by 2.
A little work to enlarge their ends:
ms_84.jpg
ms_85.jpg

and a different painting from instructions.
They suggest Black colour, while I painted a 1:1 mix of Gun Metal-Iron plus a final wash with TAM Weathering Master D and dry Matt Aluminium:
ms_86.jpg
ms_87.jpg

TYRES & WHEELS

MFH did a very good job for tyres: they are a mix of turned wheels, p/e parts for the spokes and white metal central axle.
ms_88.jpg

Instead of following the steps of the instructions I suggest this way: the p/e spokes in the middle have a big circle or a small one:
ms_89.jpg

Take those with the big circle and glue together two by two; then, using the white metal axle (asterisk), end them pushing down:
ms_90.jpg

Do the same with the p/e spokes with small circle:
ms_91.jpg

Now it is possible to glue the central axle to the spokes. Before to those with a large circle and then to the other:
ms_92.jpg
ms_93.jpg

Finally glue the turned wheel on both sides:
ms_94.jpg
ms_95.jpg

The tyres too are very well done.
The word "ENGLEBERT" is not a decal but it is in relief on the side of the tyre like TAM tyres, and it has to be painted Matt White:
ms_96.jpg

Tyres were sanded not too much to avoid to delete the tread and then washed to simulate wear and tear (left in the pic):
ms_97.jpg

• 2 weeks later...