1/48 Tamiya Bf109E-3 - Swiss ++FINISHED++

Hi all

I'm sticking my neck out here but I thought I would start another with a month to go...I will be doing the Tamiya E-3 as a Swiss Air Force machine...box shot and associated goodies below!

006-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

It has been minutely part-started (the cockpit has a coat of RLM02 on it but that is all. Looks like some interesting masking to do as the decals only give you the Swiss crosses and numbers - everything else is down to me :analintruder:

Edited by AndyC

Great choice Andy, good to see your keeping it colourful into the new year :) Will be following with interest!

That's going to look great, nice one.

I really hope so guys - there are so many good schemes for the 109

OK I'm kinda juggling builds here but that's how I like to do my modelling - so time to crack on with Build No.3...

I have been preparing the cockpit ready for the Eduard etch which required some cutting and grinding off of the Tamiya detail

006-4.jpg

The resultant cockpit area and other bit were then sprayed RLM02

001-5.jpg

The cockpit had not been started (I bought the kit 2nd hand) but had been snipped off the sprue - the parts were tacked to a coffee stirrer and sprayed RLM02 too. I nicked a control stick from an Airfix 109F as the Emil one was missing

001-6.jpg

Then it was out with a sharp scalpel, the long-nosed tweezers and a bit of cut-and-fold

002-7.jpg

003-6.jpg

Cockpit coming together - the IP is nice and the rudder pedals are exquisite if a little fiddly

004-5.jpg

Glued into the starboard side after a light Flory brown wash and some silver dry-brushing

005-5.jpg

Buttoned up

006-6.jpg

The fuselage has now been glued and is setting as I type. That's it until Friday as I'm off for 3 days and nights away in Brum for work. Thanks for looking

Cracking on with this now - after the last update, the wings have been glued on and the seams filled and rubbed down where necessary

001-8.jpg

002-9.jpg

Any areas of filler are probably down to me as the kit is superb!

Sprayed the radiator areas and the chin radiator RLM65 ready for fitting them both

001-9.jpg

All bits on and rubbed down.  Started some detail painting with the prop and have also done the wheels.  I understand the kit wheels are a little 'skinny' however I won't be changing them

I have also masked the cockpit glazing and fitted the front and rear pieces.  Unfortunately, I have cracked the main canopy bit - it may be partially hidden as it is on the starboard side and I was aiming to display this with the canopy open

003-9.jpg

004-8.jpg

I'm going to try and get some primer on tonight and maybe the RLM65 on to the undersides tomorrow.  Thanks for looking in!

Well she is now in the paint shop.  Primed and the RLM 65 on...

002-11.jpg

Next on was the RLM 70...

003-10.jpg

She is now in the masking shop for all that white and red!  Back soon and thanks for looking

Just the very briefest of updates - I have done a lot of masking and then sprayed the red and white and this is what she came out looking like once I removed the masks - pretty pleased!

001-10.jpg

I have a few remedial areas to do on the underside but hopefully decals on later in the week and should be home and dry on this one

That's a really great job of masking - no pink bleed anywhere.  I have tried to do Swiss in the past, and always got a little bit of pink in the white. 

You have managed to avoid it!  Congrats. No wonder you are pretty pleased.

A steady hand, good airbrushing and - I presume - good old Tamiya acrylics??

Philip

Wow, can't accuse that one of being stealthy. Great choice of scheme Andy.

Pete

Ha too true - the ultimate in a 'neutral' scheme!

That's a really great job of masking - no pink bleed anywhere.  I have tried to do Swiss in the past, and always got a little bit of pink in the white. 

You have managed to avoid it!  Congrats. No wonder you are pretty pleased.

A steady hand, good airbrushing and - I presume - good old Tamiya acrylics??

Philip

Bang on!  Tamiya acrylics - can't beat them.  I just make sure I burnish the tape - took bloody ages though to get masked up.

Nice to have one of the Swiss Emils in the build; well done mate.