A modest year but a lot learnt.

turnerdad

These are my modelling highlights of the year, not nearly as much done as I had hoped but family, a boat and a full time job severely limit my time building. However, scored a few firsts, rivetting, figure painting (to a reasonable standard anyway), plus some others I've forgotten!

1. Actually built latter half of 2011 but finished in Jan 2012. Tamiya 1/32 P-51D. I was chuffed with it despite the absolute slagging it recieved at SMW because of the weathered wings and un-filled rivets but I had depicted it at the height of the Battle of the Bulge while stationed at a very groggy forward operating base, but hey ho. An intense build, not great fun as it was my first major NMF build, plus it was for a mag, so more pressure.

mustanggood0006DSC_0099.jpg

2. I painted a figure for it, looks nothing like Meyer but beautifully sculpted and cast byUltra-cast.

carbgood0001DSC_0216.jpg

3. A work job, 1/20 scale BA A319 in a special Olympics scheme, "The Dove".

BADove0001.jpg

4. Tamiya 1/48 Fw190A-8, Aires pit and U/C bay, also rivetted it. Really enjoyed building this one, lots of fun and hopefully the sort of model I'll build from now on, not insane detailing, just fun and built relatively quickly. Actually built for the Fw190 Group build here on BM, another first.

fw190jehgfejhgf0004.jpg

5. A set of Frankenweenies, prototypes for a toy company another interesting work job. I didn't paint the dogs, but I did the rest, Edgar the hunchback is my favourite incase you hadn't guessed by my avatar!

frankenweenies0008_zps12a16ea3.jpg

6. 1/32 Cybermodeller Bf109E-4 in Adolf Gallands markings. Pretty much OOB plus I rivetted it.

Bf109E40008.jpg

My goals this coming year are to concentrate on avoiding spending too much time getting bogged down with detailing and concentrate on building models more akin to my 1/48 Fw190 rather than the massive projects that were the 1/32 P-51 and 109. That way I can consolidate my finishing experience which for me personally is the most interesting and crucial part.

Cheers all and a happy new year.

• Like 1

Well whoever slagged the P-51 needs there eyes testing. Or at least put there own builds on here so we can slag them off. All kits have mistakes but to me it looks bloody great!

Top effort.

(I would be happy to produce kits like that)

I wonder if any of the 'slaggers' could produce such a stunning build?

I wonder if they ever build anything!!

Said it at the time TD, the Mustang is superb & the weathering looks brilliant, especially in the context of it's environment. I don't really do Luftwaffe stuff any more, but your 190 & 109 are both stunners!!

Keef

Lovely jobs all of them but those Frankenweenies look interesting - great painting on them. Are they painted in monochrome or is that just the photo?

Re rivet-counters. had a similar experience when I built the same FW-190 as you have here. Had it on the table at a show just to be told that the antenna retract mechanism in the canopy was broken on that particular aircraft. They need to get out and about a bi more I say!

I wonder if they ever build anything!!

:ditto:

happy new year to you also.

cheers

Rick