Peterbilt truck conversion parts

richellis

FG Models Peterbilt resin conversion parts

Peterbilt trucks are an American company that was founded in 1936. Peterbilt is biased in Texas and builds heavy trucks mainly for the US market. The Peterbilt range is well covered in 1:24 scale by Italeri and Revell but like many real Petes modellers want to build custom and individual trucks.

FG models are based in Korea and produce a range of resin and etched parts for models. I will cover some of their resin parts for the Peterbilt range of kits here.

All of the resin parts are superbly cast, to a point I thought they may be Injection Plastic. Over the whole box of parts I can't find a flaw in any of the resin parts, no bubbles, nor is casting flaws and the detail on the parts very nice and fine.

DSC03812.JPG

Ultra Roof Parts.

The Peterbilt bonneted truck has the option of a raised roof section, to give the driver more space in the cab on both day cabs, and cabs with the classic sleeper pod behind. FG models have 2 Ultra Roofs in there range.

DSC03813.JPG

The casting of the parts is first class. The dimples in the outer skin of the roof are copied from the real parts. The casting is attached to a substantial pour block and some care will be needed in removing it but the pour gates do thin where the meet the roof moulding to assist you. There are 4 parts in this conversion, they are the roof, internal header/ locker and 2 locker doors.

DSC03814.JPG

The inside of the roof carries a high level of detail with the Patten of the roof liner being present, along with the internal lights and some very nicely done sun visors. There is a separate part to the header inside, along with separate locker doors. This roof has a cut-out at the back so be sure you order the right part (there is a matching day-cab conversion panel by FG) for your kit.

DSC03816.JPG

This is basically the same part but this hasn’t got the cut-out at the rear as can be seen below. The part has the same number of parts and carries the same high level of detail and quality

DSC03815.JPG

Peterbilt Day cab panels.

Peterbilt offer day cab tractor units and there are also companies that convert sleepers to day cabs in the US. FG models now offer us the same conversion, in 1:24 scale.

DSC03817.JPG

The first panel on the review bench is designed to fit the Italeri kit, and will convert the plastic sleeper to a day-cab configuration. As with the roof sections the casting is top quality with no flaws in the parts. The surface of the parts has a nice rivet detail and to my eye looks to scale, and not over done.

DSC03818.JPG

The part is attached to a pour block by 5 gates, and as before they are thinner by the part to assist in there removal.

DSC03819.JPG

This conversion is designed for use with the Ultra roof from FG shown above (7005) and carries the same detail as shown above.

Wheels

FG models have sent 2 sets of wheels for US trucks, the first is a specific Peterbilt style, and the second is a more generic US truck wheel.

DSC03820.JPG

The first wheel set under the camera is the Peterbilt wheels. This is a resin set comprising of 2 wheels for a front steer axle, and it also includes 2 centre caps and a pair of hub-caps for the centre of the wheels. The parts are cast in the normal grey resin FG uses and the quality is as high as previously.

DSC03821.JPG

The detail on the wheels is very fine with all the vent holes being open, and the wheel nuts being very nicely detailed. These will give your Petes front axle some correct wheels!

DSC03822.JPG

This set of wheels is copies of the popular Alcoa truck wheels for the front steer axle. These again have the high level of detail, and quality as the previous parts.

Conclusion

These are very nice resin parts from FG models, a recommended purchase.

FG models have asked me to point you towards there E-bay site but asked me to mention their parts can be brought through other avenues such as Hobbyeasy.com, hlj.com, Mediamixhobby.com.sg

please mention Britmodeller when buying through FG models E-bay shop

Review sample from

FG-3D-MAIN-LOGO-1.jpg

Some detailed walkaround pictures of Peterbilt trucks can be found

here, and here