Dambuster AJ-Z "Zebra" Revell 1/72 - Finished at last !

woody37

Thanks guys,

Steve, I can honestly say that my skill is more about patience :weep: . The amount of times I've redone things because I wasn't happy means I'll never be a fast modeller. Some people make modelling look easy, my workbbench is far from that place of luxury. you want to see the size of the swear box :lol:

Cheers guys. Callum, I certainly recommend Alclad, as long as it's mixed well it goes on a treat and dries quickly.

Here's an update standing on its own boots with the masks off. The props need their yellow tips and the gear doors need attaching, then turrets and arials.

edit...oh and the big round thing underneath !!!!!

weather7_zpscdcff553.jpg

weather6_zpsf241a5af.jpg

weather8_zps55d89c20.jpg

What a great finish you've managed to get there. :thumbsup2:

Hi Neil

This is looking good, I'm well impressed. By the way ED937 was the last of the modified Lancasters to arrive at Scampton on May 11th and was allocated to Maudsley as a replacement because of an earlier accident. Various sources quote that the mid upper removal and other modifications were initially done at the Avro factory but to speed things up bearing in mind a pressing appointment the modifications were made on the squadron. Myself I would guess that ED937 was modified in a hurry and repainting the mid upper turret area was not a priority. The late delivery would also suggest that ED937s flying hours were extremely low so I would hazard a guess that her paint work would have still been very fresh.

It's anyone's guess!!

I do like the model and your transparency painting technique.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Mike

Cheers guys.

Bill, thanks for your opinion ont red dope. I've been undecided, so open to persuasion :)

Personally I like it as it is...the red dope might be a step too far, but if we do know that the actual aircraft was finished like that then it's obviously justified. At the end of the day it's your model Neil, don't be swayed by any opinion on here, one way or the other.

Anyway, given your track record it'll be beautiful whatever you decide!

Cheers

• 9 years later...
On 30/12/2012 at 16:19, elger said:

I don't have the source at hand, but I believe that the railing in the cockpit was painted yellow post-war. In other words, I think it should be the colour of the cockpit on war time aircraft.

Nice work on the engine intakes though!

Oddly enough I have just watched a vid stating these were painted to help crew find their way to the parachute escape hatch under the bomb aimers padding in low light, although smoke makes more sense, beta lights were on our cabs for night, not sure if they used anything similar during this period (obviously on instruments, what fun that has created for historic aircraft flights, museums etc)