First pics of the RAF's first RC-135W Rivet Joint

Jennings Heilig

Caveat: This apparently first appeared on Facebook. However, it has since been picked up by Aviation Week, who are not known for running Photoshopped photos. I've looked at it, and I think it's real. I'm very surprised by the USAF-like color scheme, but since interoperability is going to be the keyword for RAF Rivet Joint ops, it might make sense. I also believe it's for real because the antenna configuration, while very similar, is not identical to current USAF RJ's. The hump just ahead of the vertical fin is new, as is the wart on top of the cheek radome. Either way, pretty cool!

RC-135W_RAF.jpg

That's interesting, mainly as the RAF tends to put the title in the white area on this type of colour scheme. Either the Rivet Joint guys have overwritten the 'United States' with 'Royal' or.........

It's the best ZAP I've seen in years! :speak_cool:

No, I think this really is one of the RAF's birds. It's not just Photoshopped from a USAF bird (at least not taking the easy way out), since the "AIR FORCE" sits further aft by having the word "ROYAL" in front of it vs. the "U.S." on US birds. It may end up being a PS job, but I don't think so, based on the antenna configuration. I'm surprised there's no hit of a serial or other ID to be found on it though...

It will be in those colours as I believe they will still be under US control although RAF personnel will crew them.

Really? Why would that be as I'm sure the R1 nimrods weren't under anyone else's control.

As for the photo, I'm not convinced that will be the final colours, where are the fin flash and roundels for a start off? Even the RAFs transport aircraft are in less conspicuous colour schemes. Just my thoughts anyway.

Duncan B

The RAF aircraft will more than likely be known as Boeing Airseeker R.1 .

I thought that had already been announced. :unsure:

For what it's worth, I don't believe this will be the final colour scheme either, most likely just a "wip" scheme showing that it's one of the airframes in prep' for the RAF.

I know that the RAF operates the old Boeing 707 airframe in the form of the E-3 AWACS, but couldn't they put all the required avionics for this particular mission in a more updated airframe?

It may be old but still probably the best airframe out there to convert quickly. The USAF have been using them for years in this role.

Getting these also ensures full inter operability with US assets and dont forget our people have been training / operating on US Assets until ours go live in 2014.

Lastly getting these now should ensure that we can get what ever does replace them.

Julien

Serials allocated to them are ZZ664 (apparently the one in the facebook pic above), ZZ665 and ZZ666. Wouldn't want to fly on the last one....

Mark.

IIRC, the original Nimrod R.1's were XW664, 665 and 666 - I dare say those serial numbers selected for the Rivet Joint aircraft were deliberately chosen for that reason.

Wez

IIRC, the original Nimrod R.1's were XW664, 665 and 666 - I dare say those serial numbers selected for the Rivet Joint aircraft were deliberately chosen for that reason.

Wez

Indeed. Because (6+6+4) + (6+6+5) + (6+6+6) adds up to 51.....................

White fuselage top will be for cooling purposes in hotter climes - and there may be security reasons for makeing them look very similar to their USAF cousins

It will be in those colours as I believe they will still be under US control although RAF personnel will crew them.

Absolutely untrue. The aircraft are being sold to the RAF, tax, tag, title, and license included. Crewed by the RAF, flown by 51 Squadron, and under UK tasking.

It will still need a refuelling probe though unless we're buying KC-135's as well? :D

KC-135 tankers wouldn't do you any good - these a/c don't have an ARR system fitted. It'll be interesting to see if they become the only members of the C-135 family to be fitted with refueling probes like the RAF's E-3s.

The aircraft are still states side from what my understanding of the situation is that the 3 aircraft are Ex-USAF jets that are being retrofitted with new engines (as can be seen here) and British tech for our own operations, but until the 3 aircraft are completely retrofitted and ready for service, as well as all other provisions being made here are completed the RAF would train the crews in the US getting US crews to teach them how to handle the birds ect.

As they are EX USAF they will wear the USAF scheme and have been wearing it to keep uniformity during their stay in the states, the addition of the ROYAL AIR FORCE text in USAF style is likely a formality to give our boys a sense of ownership of the birds while they are there but I don't think they will be adding the TRF and roundels. The first one is due in the paint shop next month, where I suspect it will get the drab non glossy RAF barley grey treatment that every other aircraft in the RAF suffers a head of delivery this time next year..... however I may be entirely wrong, tis been known to happen