Thunderbirds (Gerry Anderson) Information Requested

Hi folks,

I've been searching the interwebs for schematics of Gerry Anderson's Thunderbird's 1 & 2, with little success. I'd like to attempt scratchbuilding these two craft, and work best from schematics as opposed to photos - does anyone have any links they'd be willing to share?

Many thanks in advance!

The Eagle Transporter Forum is your friend.

http://www.eagletran...forum/index.php

Despite it's name it deals with making of replicas and models from all Anderson's series as well as other sci-fi such as 2001, not just the Eagle. There are also some seriously knowledgeable and helpful people on there too.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk
  • Like 1

Finescale Modeler ran an article years ago, featuring a scratch built TB1. They printed a set ou plans, which included cross sections, IIRC (?).

Okay, just done a quick google and it was the November 92 issue.

Again, thank you Paul - that issue was available, so I ordered a copy. As they're just down the road from me, it should be here soon :thumbsup:. Thank you very much for your help!

The Eagle Transporter Forum is your friend.

http://www.eagl:-(.e...forum/index.php

Despite it's name it deals with making of replicas and models from all Anderson's series as well as other sci-fi such as 2001, not just the Eagle. There are also some seriously knowledgeable and helpful people on there too.

Marty...

I've registered on the site - still waiting for a confirmation email, but I reckon today's not the best of days to have joined :(.

You are absolutely right - there are some talented, knowledgeable and helpful people on there.

Gerry Anderson passed away today RIP

What a loss to the world... R.I.P., Mr. Anderson.

Gutted about Gerry,I met him when I worked in a toy shop and sold him the wheels and tyres for the overlander in Terrahawks

John the haynes manual is a must and Amazon have them for under a tenner

I've just had a look at Amazon, and yes, you're right - it is a must :).

A friend of mine bought 2 plastic kits of TB2 and assembled them, then cut one into 'lengthwise' strips around 10mm wide, and the other into 'across' sections using a bandsaw. Each 'section' was scanned 'face down' onto a PC, then enlarged and printed out at 3 x size. He's planning a 32" TB2....

Roy.

• Like 1

Another modeller who made a living out of making accurate Thunderbirds models is Martin Bower.  MartinBowersModelWorld has several Century 21 models that are 100% accurate based on drawings he obtained or draughted himself from measuring the original.  Having had several conversations with him about the real studio hero models, be aware that more than one model was used by the studio, several changes were made to TB2 for example.  There are also several Japanese based model books on the TB's and exploded diagrams originally from the TV21 comic are easily found.  This is from Amazon...Thunderbirds Manual (Agents' Technical Manual) for instance.  The Japanese versions (try Hobby Link Japan) are usually far more accurate.

• Like 1

I've recently got hold of the Haynes Thunderbirds book - very good, and more than close enough for my meagre skills :). I have to say that I'm likely to be very happy producing something that looks right to me, rather than trying to produce a studio-scale replica. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that I'm not that capable ;).

My 'dream' is to build a 'scratch' Fireball XL5 at about 30" length.

Any bigger than that, and there are huge display issues.

Fireball isn't TOO complex.

TB2????? A different kettle of fish!

I retire from teaching in July after 34 years of the little 'dears'.

Maybe one day after that.......

Roy

I've recently got hold of the Haynes Thunderbirds book - very good, and more than close enough for my meagre skills :). I have to say that I'm likely to be very happy producing something that looks right to me, rather than trying to produce a studio-scale replica. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that I'm not that capable ;).

Hi John

dn't know if this is of any use, as from film,  on the sale page

Thunderbirds, an X-ray cross section information and cutaway drawings of Thunderbirds 1-5 and some of the equipment they use, and FAB1. Baised on the film, £6

here - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234932538

HTH

T

• Like 1