Jasonb's 2012 builds

Jasonb13

Hi all,

Well here's what I managed this year, my 2nd year back in modelling. My build speed reduced this year, mainly because I was taking more time with them (and hopefully they've improved!). I got 9 done in the end, and I'm working on my 10th, but with the best will in the world it won't be done before the end of the year. Anyhow, here's what I did!

First up was the Moebius Battlestar Galactica for the SciFi GB, in 1:4105 scale. I went a bit mad with this one, as it was a gift for someone, so I got the PE sets and the decals. Oh, the decals... over 1100 in total! :

Finished1.jpg

After that I went with a kit that had about 6 decals! The Anigrand 1:72 MiG-31 Firefox, my first resin kit. This one was for the TV/Movies GB :

Finished1.jpg

Then I went with a more traditional kit, a Revell 1:72 Me262 B-1a/U1. Nothing too strange with this one, apart from the camo, which I brush-painted. To be honest, this is probably the best build I've done:

Finished1.jpg

Next up was a Revell 1:72 F-16B. This one I struggled with for some reason, I just lost my mojo, and it took nearly 3 months, an eternity for me!:

Finished2.jpg

To try to get my mojo back, I tried my first armour next, a Tamiya 1:35 T-55a. And it worked, as I really enjoyed building this one:

Finished1.jpg

From a target I went to its nemesis! Used the same olive drab spray can for it too, an Academy 1:72 Apache:

Finished1.jpg

Sticking with Academy, next up was their excellent 1:72 F-22 Raptor. Tried to replicate the 'metallic sheen' with some silver paint mixed into the numerous shades of grey on this aircraft. I tell myself that 'subtle' is better (i.e., it didn't really work! :) ):

Finished1_zps68e12d00.jpg

And then, from a modern aircraft, my last two builds were more old shcool (in age if not design). First up was the Revell 1:72 Horten Go-229, which only reached the prototype stage:

Finished3_zps978e0a94.jpg

And my last completed build of 2012 was another interesting one, a Dornier D-335 A-12. The kit was from 1974, but it had some good detail (though it needed a lot of filler) and I decided to do the 2 seater and leave all the panels open:

Finished1.jpg

That's it, thanks for looking! Would have loved to get my current one finished in time, but I'll probably miss the deadline by a few days. Looking forward to 2013...

EDIT!

I got more time at the bench than I thought I would these last few days, and my 10th build decided to come together well in the end, so I got it done. So here it is, my last build of 2012, Tamiya's 1:72 Mosquito, done as a Nightfighter Mk. II for the NightFighter GB over on the IPMS Ireland forum:

Finished1_zpsf714c047.jpg

J.

Edited by Jasonb13

Some good work going on there!

That Battlestar looks impressive - but 1100 decals!

Liking the '262 camo job - after that and the Battlestar your eyes must have been well and truly boggled! :hypnotised:

The T-55 has a nice look to it also - I'm not really into tanks but I like that.

cheers

Rick

Thanks everyone! The T-55a was my first attempt at armour, and trying something new really helped get my mojo back. It also helped that it was a Tamiya kit that went together really well. And it also helped that is was armour, and building amour seems to be based on 'stick *everything* together first and paint afterwards', which was like going back to building when I was a kid! :)

J.