1/32 FR.47 Seafire. Revell and Freightdog conversion.

I got the Freightdog conversion for the Seafire when it first came out but I am a lazy sod so it has been in and out of the loft several times, just so I could weigh up the work involved.

The time has come to get it done (I am on a bit of a 1/32 scale roll at the moment)

This will also be my first 'in progress' post so I must remember to take photos!

No pics at present as I have just decided to build it and see this one through.

Pics of the conversion parts and the kit will be posted later.

Steve.

Mmm,

sorry but I got carried away and made a start, lol.

Here is the contents of the Freightdog conversion. I have already taken most of the parts from the pouring stubs.(and used a couple) The resin is first class with zero air bubble holes and minimum cleaning up to do.

Decal sheet looks very nice and, although I haven't used Freightdog decals before, I have heard they are good quality. Decals include stencils and a location guide sheet together with a drawing of what to cut and where, plus a written construction guide, complete the 3 pages of instructions

002_zps2f266a76.jpg

Base kit is the venerable Matchbox Spitfire 22/24, seen here as a Revell reboxing. I have got carried away and removed most of the parts from the sprues!

004-10_zps52f2f644.jpg

003-1_zps761e7a24.jpg

Making a start then, I am going to do the wings first. No exposed gunbays or engine on this one, I have built one of these kits as a F.22 with 613 sqn that had gunbays engine cowlings off and was pleased with the result. I have another kit as well which will be an F.24 in hi-speed silver with AM interior from Mastercasters and Xtradecals, just for starters.

The Matchbox Spit is not really an easy build anyway so this conversion will take some thinking about.

I have a quickboost seat for the cockpit but everything else will be improved with knife, file and references.

I have always thought this kit builds into a lovely model that seems to be popular with visitors to model shows. I hope to build a Seafire with the same presence.

001-2_zps6973c4bb.jpg

Steve.

Ah, this should be one to follow.

Am I right in thinking that the Seafire is just about the last of the Spitfire line?

The combination of large contra-rotating prop and that paint scheme make for a very attractive aircraft.

Good luck with the conversion.

Cheers.

The FR.47 was the last in the line I think. Production was ceased in 1949, about a year after the last Spitfire was built.

I think they had gone as far with the Griffon engine as possible and jet aircraft were firmly on the horizon.

I have always had a soft spot for the Seafire and more especially the low-back versions. Add that huge prop and....Wow.

Good luck Steve, I'll be interested in how this turns out and challenges you come up against.

I've used a set FreightDog decals in 1/72nd and found them to be very thin and quite difficult to work with. I would try them without any setting solutions first. Maybe it was just me. They turned out very well in the end though.

Rick.

OK shipmates,you want inspiration?.

Well here it is,Jim Smith's FR.47,VP441:

Yes,the '47 was the last of the Spitfire/Seafire series to be built,but not the last

Griffon powered expression of the basic Supermarine design.

That was the fabulous Spiteful/Seafang series.

• Like 2

Thanks for the vid Miggers, very enjoyable.

Nearlymen, great minds think alike, lol. I ordered the belly tank yesterday after finding it whilst fishing around the net. Just had email to say it's been dispatched.

Still working on the wing structure, sorting out the wheel wells. Not decided how to do this yet, Freightdog have added rib detail to the underside of the 'bump' panel so it would be a shame to just leave the wheel wells open and poorly detailed as Matchbox provided.

Hopefully have a bit of an update later.

Hi Steve,

I'm sure you will probably have more than enough references for your build but there is an article on the Seafire in the January 2013 edition of "Aeroplane" magazine in case you are interested.

Cheers.

Thanks for the heads up on the article. Should be going in to town in the next couple of days and visiting the Library WH Smith so I will have a look for it.

References being used so far are the Warpaint Griffon Seafire and Modellers Datafile Griffon Spitfire, plus the net and I just found a build of the Matchbox 22/24 Spit on LSP which will help with the wheel wells.

Regards, Steve.

Well, thanks to the hard work of a chap called Kevin over on LSP forum, the wheel wells have been a breeze (thanks Kevin)

I have gone for rudimentary detail here, just enough to make it look like I bothered. First job was to study another online build mentioned above and work out how things will go together.

I started by fitting the resin parts for gun blisters and the improved wheel bump. The rim provided by Matchbox as wheel well walls was removed completely. I have sprayed some Halfords primer on the wings to check panel lines and the new wing fold line I scribed in, still a bit of improving to be done here!

002-2_zps01f94171.jpg

The later Spits and Seafires did not have the same style of wells as earlier marks, the walls did not follow the shape of the door cut-out.

I cut up some plasticard and added walls, checking height as I went along (blu-tack helps to hold everything together while dry fitting)

Luckily, Freightdog have already added rib detail to the resin replacement parts so half the work is done already.

004-1_zps8cb2ecab.jpg

It still looks a little bit plain so I added a few bits of ribbing detail around the well. The side where the outer door goes is a bit shaky but I intend to add the hinge bar to this so it will hide most of the rough surface.

006-3_zps33f90600.jpg

A coat of Gunze Aluminie later and I am calling it done. With the lower wing panel on it looks better than what Matchbox provided.

007_zps56658d0c.jpg

Now onto the tricky bit of gluing the wing parts together with the spars.

Wish me luck.

P.S. The belly tank arrived from Greymatters this morning, great service. A nice looking piece, cast as one part with no defects whatsoever, great.

Edited by triumphfan

Been busy with the Seafire over the last couple of days. I want to try and break the back of the scratchbuilding work before returning to work on Wednesday, first week back will be very busy setting up 2013 business plan and preparing the new metric goals. Also have a new team so will need to spend a lot of time coaching my expectations to them. Looking forward to some late finishes so maybe little time for model bench.

Anyhoo....

The main wing module is now assembled and a trial fit with the fuse and wing fillets shows no major problems ahead. A fair bit of filling and sanding to be done here, also need to work out where the lights and camera port need to be scribed in/cut out.

003-2_zps3f606e7f.jpg

004-1_zps0f2778a1.jpg

Meanwhile, I have been attending to the port and starboard camera ports. Made up a scribing template and scribed panel in. I found some lenses about the right size and will drill and file the holes for these. This also means I am going to have to scratch build a camera lens and holder. Probably just going to make a frame to hold the lenses as you will not be able to see much past them. You can also see the previous hole filled and sanded, I put this in the wrong place. Doh! Should have checked my ref pics before drilling.

001-2_zps4c30e620.jpg

A bit of work also done on the 'pit. Added some sidewall detail and modified the seat brackets. A little bit more to do here, the rudder rods need adding, etc.

I have concentrated on the IP, gunsight and upper area mainly. Leaving the rudder pedals with just a bit of titivating and hoping the upper detailing draws the eye from it. I have given my reasoning behind this in the thread about "avoiding taking your models too far"

006-3_zpsdd362fa7.jpg

As ever, open to comment and critique.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks Kev,

I have just been reading your build thread on the Matchbox Sea Venom and the nightmare decals. Looks like you got a good save from that one in the end.

I built one about 6 or 7 years ago and went to town on the detailing a bit, looks like we are both either adventurous or gluttons for punishment.

I will try to find pics of the Sea Venom and post on here.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Kev,

I have just been reading your build thread on the Matchbox Sea Venom and the nightmare decals. Looks like you got a good save from that one in the end.

I built one about 6 or 7 years ago and went to town on the detailing a bit, looks like we are both either adventurous or gluttons for punishment.

I will try to find pics of the Sea Venom and post on here.

Cheers, Steve.

Yeah, I look back at that old build and shudder now. If only the decals had worked out better I'd be much happier with it. I'm amazed you found that old thread! Things are going much better on the Spitfire!

Kev

Some more cockpit work and camera installation.

'pit is all painted up and I have a plan for what goes where. Rudder actuating rods will be glued under the pedals and I will attach the column to the cockpit floor on the wing.

001-2_zpseb025ede.jpg

Time to make something that looks like a camera behind the ports.

All that can really be seen is the lens faces so I cut some tube and made up some simple frames to hold them in place. Keeping it simple, this took about half an hour.

001-2_zpsa0bd2c81.jpg

I have some old car headlight lenses that are the right size for the ports but only enough for the fuselage sides. I am going to mask the belly camera port and use Krystal clear to form the 'glass'.

All glued in and painted up. Yes, the paint is still wet in this pic :winkgrin:

002-2_zps0e85188e.jpg

You can see the effect here, just what I was aiming for.

003-2_zps4b4db775.jpg

Fuselage is now buttoned up and the tricky part of attaching the wings and fillets is upon me !

007_zpsb70e3abc.jpg

I hope this carries on in the same vein as it has been very enjoyable so far.

Regards,

Steve.