Pete's Xmas build, AFV Club Churchill mk IV

Andy

This is the third one of these I've done and they do get easier. You just need to approach it carefully and slowly and it'll all come together nicely. The really annoying bit about the Avre is the tiny spring on the petard launcher. I had to get my eyes tested before I could even see it properly .

Pete

That's a pretty awesome kit.. Very impressive. Does it come with the turned brass bits? Also, did you apply a cast texture to the turret?

My only criticism (and this is nothing to do with the build) is that they go through the trouble of giving you a working suspension set, but then rubber band tracks.. Personally I'd chuck a set of these on: http://www.friulmodel.hu/en/atl-60-churchill-i66/

The turret is a resin item from Lionmarc which already has cast texture applied, so that saves me some work. As for the tracks I quite agree, I have the Mk VI on order and that will have friuls fitted. This kit comes with some extra track links for use as applique armour and although they're cheaper per set than Friuls I'd still rather use Friuls.

Pete

Did you get the MK IV as well? Whichever model you got I would give some thought to replacing the rubber band tracks, the mk VI will definitely get a set of Friuls. I'm contemplating replacing the tracks on this one as well.

Pete

Not got to the tracks on mine.seems the ones that come are not in favour.

I beleave I have heard that someone does plastic Track for thease tanks other than the metal ones, do you know who.

Aye up Pete,

Nice job thus far. I started the Mk III quite a while back and made a total balls of it :mental: Quite fancy having another go with it tho. Might be tempted if they ever get round to releasing the Mk III Dieppe version thats been in the offing for a few years now! Wish they would do the Mk I & II tho :pray:

Not got to the tracks on mine.seems the ones that come are not in favour.

I beleave I have heard that someone does plastic Track for thease tanks other than the metal ones, do you know who.

Now then foxy.

Its actually AFV Club that do them. Workable too I believe :winkgrin:

Regards,

Steve

'Ahh' thanks steve mate.

Been having a look at mine and think I need to go down that road for the AFV club ones, having two AFV ones to build.

Watching this build with Interest.

This kit came with some of both sorts of AFV Club indy link tracks as a bonus(?). The links can be seen  on the turret of my model. Having used both these and Friuls I'm not convinced. Personally I think I'd sooner spend the extra cash and use Friuls.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

As per my previous comments I elected to replace the kit tracks with Friuls. They are a fair bit of work, having to drill out 2 holes in each link and clean the rough bits off but I think they're worth it. What I have done is to replace the wire supplied with the tracks with 0.3 mm brass wire, I find it easier and quicker. Anyway here's a couple of pics to be going on with.

P1200014_zps0c833a5b.jpg

P1200012_zps9db494e0.jpg

I've also sorted out the previous mistake.

Pete