Revell 1:48 Bf 109 G-10 in Captured RAF colours...

Morning all. After a session of PE glueing today, sprayed the basic cockpit with RLM 02. There is some PE on the sidewalls as well. Not immediately obvious where all the hard work has gone - hopefully things will be more evident after the seatbelts have been added, and I've used some oils for shading.

PE attached prior to painting

CIMG8974.jpg

And after RLM 02

CIMG8984.jpg

CIMG8983.jpg

Will also be getting out my "cross-eyes" later to paint up some of the knobs and switches.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

Icarus

how bothered are you about accuracy?

The kit is a G-10, but at this time of the war there were many detail changes, in this case, wheels, of two widths, which used two types of upper wing bulges.

The kits is the later large upper wing bulge, but, 'white 44' has the narrower tyres, and the earlier smaller upperwing bulges, and this is a pain to backdate the kit.

[EDIT - the smaller bulges are spares in various boxings of the Hobbycraft/Academy 109 G /K kits, so someone here might have spares, but the wing needs backing to remove the larger bulge, let me know if you need more info]

You also need the longer tailwheel, but this is an easy modification with some plastic rod.

found a pic, you can just see the smaller bulges.

Bf-109G10-4I.NJG11-(W44+-)-Germany-1945-01.jpg

I've seen pics of this plane in german markings, and another from the same unit, 'white 43' IIRC

Have a google...oh, I get carried away

Bf-109G10-4.NJG11-(W43+-)-Germany-1945-01.jpg

they are listed as being 4./NJG11, which is nightfighter unit.

Finally, I doubt the spinner is RLM28 'wien-rot' , I'm pretty sure the spinners are either black with white spiral, or RLM70. There is a pic showing the spinner IIRC.

also, in this thread,

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1130870676/Bf+109G-10+Info+Requested---White+-%2B44

Based on Ken Merrick's latest published research (Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings - Volume 1, Classic, 2005), these Bf 109s were probably camouflaged in overall RLM 77.

This little known, very light grey colour was first thought to be used exclusively as a markings colour for night fighter codes. It is now believed to have been designed as a camouflage colour used for high altitude fighters, night fighters and possibly as a subsitute for RLM 74 in the standard 74/75/76 day fighter schemes after its phase-out in mid-1944.

which is interesting!

HTH

T

Edited by Troy Smith

Wow! Helpful would be an understatement. As you say, the tailwheel modification is easy, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to mix RLM 77. I must admit I did look at the RLM28 callout for the spinner and u/c inner with some suspicion.

The wing bulges are more of an issue. I shall continue to build the rest up, and think about this...

Thanks for the input,

Icarus

Wow! Helpful would be an understatement. As you say, the tailwheel modification is easy, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to mix RLM 77. I must admit I did look at the RLM28 callout for the spinner and u/c inner with some suspicion.

The wing bulges are more of an issue. I shall continue to build the rest up, and think about this...

Thanks for the input,

Icarus

hi Icarus

was adding more when BM froze up yesterday...

what I was going to add yesterday

also here

http://www.network54...RLM76 Bf109G-10

There are three known overall light Blue G-10s from II./NJG 11 - "White 43", "White 44" and "White 47". They all appear to be from the same Werknummer block, made by Messerschmitt Regensburg. The only number known is "White 43" which is an early G-10, W. Nr. 130368. They all have G-6 wheels with the small upper wing fairings. Other features are - they have exhaust shields and modified canopies with panels that slide open on the sides. Photos can be found in Brett Green's Augsburg's Last Eagles and "White 47" is published in Wings of the Black Cross Number Two.

Hope this helps,

finally found the spiral spinner shot, here http://www.britmodel...showtopic=25874

RAFBf109G-10White43wn130369.jpg

regarding the red gear legs, these did exist, it was a quick refernce for the types of fuel used

see http://www.network54...te '109s---

and some pretty colour pics :)

109redleg3.jpg

109redleg2.jpg

I note a poster makes a comment about only Jg27 2nd gruppe having these, but there is a pic of a JG300 109 which shows this too, it's a photo taken with a red filter, so the red RV band looks white, as do the gear legs...but no time to search at the mo

HTH

T

Edited by Troy Smith

Thanks Troy. Red wheels it is then. Could I ask if anyone has any idea what the wheel bay colour should be? The decal sheet is a bit vague on this, and as I don't usually build Luftwaffe aircraft my background knowledge is a bit vague.

Icarus

Afternoon all. With the obvious festivitity-related pause in play, not much has been done on this build until today. Managed to build up the cockpit contents, do a bit a dry brushing then add a layer of gloss varnish. I will close up the fuselage this evening, then add the oil pin wash before a final coat of matt varnish. I always feel the cockpit components should be in the right orientation before doing the pin wash - I think it gives a more realistic gravity-influenced effect.

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

Still trying to sort out the super powerful flash on my new camera (thank you Santa). Believe it or not, there are red and brown details on these sidewalls...

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

The tailwheel on the Revell G-10 needed replacing to replicate the piccies supplied by Troy. I have cut off the wheel, tidied up the fuselage (not shown), then constructed a new oleo and strut from part of an old rocket projectile. Note the sliver of PE used as strengthening to what would otherwise be a butt joint, with all the future breakage risks. Hopefully this will not be visible when it is all painted up.

DSC00025.jpg

More updates later...

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

Morning all

A bit of progress. Have installed the cockpit, instrument panel and new tailwheel, as well as PE radiator grills, in the starboard fuselage half. I tend to use tak to hold the pieces in place, and thick CA glue that sets quite slowly, so I can adjust the fit as the two fuselage halves are glued together

DSC00032.jpg

I try to use a variety of referencing sources...

DSC00033.jpg

Yes, that is a Bf 109G in FSX.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

Thanks Troy. Red wheels it is then. Could I ask if anyone has any idea what the wheel bay colour should be? The decal sheet is a bit vague on this, and as I don't usually build Luftwaffe aircraft my background knowledge is a bit vague.

Icarus

Icarus

I don't think it would hvae had red wheels, or even gear legs. The pics I posted were to show that these did exist, and why. I did some more digging on LEMB and Hyperscale, the pics above are late summer 44, after that the engines were adjsuted to run on different fuels, which makes sense given a chronic fuel shortage, so it's unlikely the G-10's need these, bear in mind these survived the war. later they also just part of the gear leg in red.

I even found a werk nummer for 'White 44' but that was on another machine. Seems all the known planes, white 43, 44, 47 were from the same batch.

[bf109's were built by 3 factories, Weiner-Neustadt, [WNR for short] Messerschmitt and Erla, and each had different modification and details, as well as painting. if you run across '100' and '110' cowlings these were factory variations.

There has been a lot of research on these since I was a teen 109 geek 30 years ago. ]

Whell well colour....erm, look at the pic posted, note the front of the well on the crashed plane. Looks like the underside colour to me.

I'd say the Fujumi upper wings look OK, but the wheel bulges lack the hard edge,

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G-6-Walk-Around-17.jpg

Finnish plane, very hig res walkaround here.

http://www.asisbiz.c...-Around-01.html, can't find the menu, scroll through the pages. A lot of the details are the same.

Interetingly this plane has grey wheel wells and inner gear door, but a blue leg...there was a lot of variation.

One final point, the rudders vary [i think there are 5 noted different types of tall tail, small difference BTW] , note the trim tabs, the one you are building has one, the kit has two.

HTH

T

PS just noticed, not only does the Finn 109 have the Erla hood, it has the tall tail wheel!

Edited by Troy Smith

Thanks Troy. Given the battles I'm having making the Fujimi wing components fit, I think I'll leave the wheel bulges as they are. However, the trim tabs are easy to correct/replicate.

I think a little thief has decided he has better use for the '109 than I....

DSC00049.jpg

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

• 3 weeks later...

Right then. Having finally finished with the Swedish distraction (PR XIX), I'm back on track with this GB. Fujimi upper wings now blended in the the Revell fuselage and lower wing. Masked up, ready for priming:

DSC00108.jpg

Icarus

Finally making some headway. Initial preshading with RLM 66:

DSC00110.jpg

Then RLM 77. The IPMS Stockholm lists Xtracolor X214 as a match for RLM 77, but to my eye it is a little dark, so I added a dash of white to the paint before spraying:

DSC00111.jpg

The flash tends to hide it, but there is a pleasing tonal variation with the pre-shading. Clearly I will need to add an oil pin wash after decalling, but that is for tomorrow...

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

Life has gotten a bit in the way of model making, but had a bit of time this morning. I still need to superglue the wheels on, then spray Kristal Klear on everything as a base, before decalling later today..

DSC00118_zps8eb8a3db.jpg

Icarus