'What if' Colour Scheme

mike romeo

I tend to model 'real world' aircraft, but I do like to see some of the mad things you folks get up to. I'm not quite up to major hackage of multiple aircraft at present, but I do occasionally change colour schemes around.

Here is a simple one that The Wooksta has probably already done. A SEAC Spit Mk XVI using the Heller kit oob plus the Hasegawa Mk VIII decals. Why? During a single kit GB on another forum, I thought I'd build 2 Mk XVIs: one oob and one slightly modded to try to enhance the already nice Heller kit. I knew the modded build would be a 2 ATAF machine, but I was stuck for the unmodded one. Then I came up with the SEAC Spit idea.

Back story: I'm never usually creative enough to think one up, but in this case clearly, the Spit Mk IX was considered adequate for the near term, and with the Griffon engine doing well in testing in 1942 / 43, then there was no point in 'wasting' redesigned Spit airframes for 'Merlin' engined variants, so the Mk VIII was never put into service. To keep up with engine demand for the Mk IX in other theatres, the Packard Merlin variant was brought in and used extensively in the Far East, as the ETO took precedence for the Griffon variants.

Hence:

DSCF2792.jpg

Having said I don't usually hack about aircraft, I do fancy trying a Bf109Z-10 variant using 2 Revell G-10s. I'm thinking night fighter / zerstorer markings. The only thing stopping me is: how do I make the constant chord wing centre-section . . . ?

regards,

Martin

• Like 2

Get a piece of plastic card sized by the span and just over twice the chord. Fold it over by the leading edge, and fit a spacer of balsa, plastic card or whatever at about quarter chord. Sand the trailing edges sharp, detail to suit.

On the other hand, don't Amodel already do an earlier Bf109Z? Lift the wing centre section from that.

Not only is that a very nice model but it also looks perfectly plausible and will easily pass for an authentic subject to those who do not know otherwise :goodjob:

Col,

Thank you for your kind words. Right scheme, wrong variant was the subtlety I was trying to catch.

Graham,

That suggestion with the plastic card does indeed sound like something even I could do (although not necessarily well). I will let you know how it goes when I get round to it.

regards,

Martin

I can't say I've ever tried it myself, but it is a standard technique for creating wings in scratchbuilding. It will take a bit of practice to get leading-edges that look like the standard kit wings, perhaps by folding around a piece of microstrip rather than just folding back on itself. But plasticard is cheap enough to have a few goes.

• 1 month later...

Having said I don't usually hack about aircraft, I do fancy trying a Bf109Z-10 variant using 2 Revell G-10s. I'm thinking night fighter / zerstorer markings. The only thing stopping me is: how do I make the constant chord wing centre-section . . . ?

regards,

Martin

Martin I have exactly the same plan with 2 Revell G10s nabbed off ebay cheap. The constant chord centre section I plan to build straight from a strip of styrene (or 2/3 laminated together and sand to fit with a little scribing for pannel lines and details removed from the unwanted wings.

I also waas going to use Zerstorer markings from a Bf110 kit from a unit that might have been equiped with the 109z

For me I think the hardest part about scratchbuilding it will be the moving of the gear inboard to the centre line of the respective fusalage but I really fancy gining it a go.

Let us know of any progress.

Ian.

Chaps,

Thanks for your comments!

@ Lee, I agree that'd be the easiest thing, but I'm afraid I can't afford / am too cheap to buy the A-model kit just to use the centre-section.

@ Ian, I am planning to do the Z-10 for the future "Whatif III" GB on this forum in the latter part of this year. Why don't you build yours at the same time and we can swap tips / commiserate / etc?

Oh and in my universe they didn't bother moving the landing gear attachment point!

@ bigh827, I'd like to see the twin-Wulf when you get round to it.

regards,

Martin

Chaps,

@ Lee, I agree that'd be the easiest thing, but I'm afraid I can't afford / am too cheap to buy the A-model kit just to use the centre-section.

It's a complete lower wing section plus a centre section upper.

There'd be no waste - the fuselages could be crossed with the G-10 wings to do a pair of 109 rebuilds. Kitbashing is one of the best things about whiffing and nowt is ever wasted.

Lee,

Thanks for the clarification. I'll need to think about that.

regards,

Martin

PS I've tried to join the Whatif modellers website a couple of times now. I register then I receive an e-mail saying I'll be contacted with further instructions, then - nothing! What am I doing wrong?

Chaps,

Thanks for your comments!

@ Ian, I am planning to do the Z-10 for the future "Whatif III" GB on this forum in the latter part of this year. Why don't you build yours at the same time and we can swap tips / commiserate / etc?

Oh and in my universe they didn't bother moving the landing gear attachment point!

Martin

Good idea, will make the build a lot easyer. with current state of play It may well be next year before I get round to it. I have started a polikarpov i-16 and have only managed to scratchbuild 1 cockpit bulkhead in 2 months!! :o(

That said, I had the crazy Idea of getting 2 zvezda 1/144 109's for £5 and 'Z'ing those as a prototype.

• Like 1