3d photo printing

Robert Stuart

Not sure where this should go, or if it's been mentioned before ... but it may have implications for our hobby

http://www.designboom.com/art/personal-action-figures-printed-at-a-japanese-photo-booth/

3d printing is real, though I hadn't realised it was this good - I should have, I keep hearing about printing aircraft components - and scanning has been with us for some years.

I've already used our works 3D printer to make stuff for Mike and several other BM'ers, such as new cowlings, radar domes and window frames. It does help that I look after our printers. :D

Some, or more likely, most? of us are going to have to have a crash course in 3D design software, unless we want to rely on others producing the files necessary to get the parts printed. I shall resist, as it means I'll spend even more time at the PC and even less at the workbench with some glueable plastic in front of me.

Besides, Airifx are going to come out with 1/48 scale first and second generation Harriers in 2014 that will be so good and so complete, I'll not need extras. That is right, isn't it Airfix?

I don't know what kind of printer is used in that article, but it might be an expensive one, judging by the level of detail.

There was an article on a local paper last week about the new generation of small affordable 3-D printers and some are now below the £1,000 mark. Yes it's not cheap, but it's a kind of money hobbysts can afford. If not a single modeller, then a club might easily buy one.

These small printers have a resolution around 0.3 mm, that is not good enough for detail work, but it's good enough to make the initial masters for many type of parts.

Professional printers like the ones likely used in this article are way more expensive

Edited by Giorgio N

I don't know what kind of printer is used in that article, but it might be an expensive one, judging by the level of detail.

There was an article on a local paper last week about the new generation of small affordable 3-D printers and some are now below the £1,000 mark. Yes it's not cheap, but it's a kind of money hobbysts can afford. If not a single modeller, then a club might easily buy one.

These small printers have a resolution around 0.3 mm, that is not good enough for detail work, but it's good enough to make the initial masters for many type of parts.

Professional printers like the ones likely used in this article are way more expensive

That is what is available now. Remember when computers took up whole rooms and didn't even have a fraction of the memory that an average iPod possesses -and cost several times as much?

This is a technology still in its infancy.

That is what is available now. Remember when computers took up whole rooms and didn't even have a fraction of the memory that an average iPod possesses -and cost several times as much?

This is a technology still in its infancy.

Absolutely, the potential for growth is immense !

Personally I'm looking into one of the smaller units as it could also be useful for my real job. I could see many applications.