Airfix 1/48 English Electric Lightning F.6

i absolutely love this aircraft, one of my all time favourites, the EE Lightning, chose to go with the F.6 the later version, also went with the low-vis grey and red, as the last 2 i built in 1/72 were silver, just for something different, finished in RAF markings for No.5 Sqn at Binbrook, Lincolnshire, England (late 1980's) Enjoy! :)

IMG_2756_zps139916b6.jpg

IMG_2757_zps4201e009.jpg

IMG_2758_zps3d386573.jpg

IMG_2759_zps89f6148c.jpg

IMG_2761_zpsb7338c25.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies, there's a fine line on weathering you can over do it sometimes, I wanted to add a little touch to mainly the service and access panels, exhaust and vents etc, didn't want it to look completely 'dirty' due to it's very nice colour scheme :)

Always been a fan since my time in the Air Cadets at Wattisham in the '60s (111 and 56 Squadrons in those days). I built an Airfix 1/72 kit many decades ago and have seriously considered the 1/48 Kit since returning to the hobby a couple of years ago, I get the impression from some of the posts that it is a very tidy kit. What marking options come in the box?

Anyway, lovely job on a great scheme. Happy New Year to you all.

Edited by KeithBurrage

Thats a super build of a very good looking Lightning which can still be seen in those colours today at RAF Waddington (I think ! ) .

Keith ....go ahead and build one ....you will enjoy it !!

The original release had about 6 decal options including a silver ; Green 19 and 92 Sqns ; Grey/Green 11 Sqn ; Dark Sea Grey LTF/11Sqn and a 5 Sqn sharkmouth.

The later Red box has 3 options :

92 Sqn Silver with Blue spine and fin

11 Sqn Grey/Green with day-glo patches

5 Sqn as above , in Barley grey with red fin and wings.

Andy

• Like 1

i bet that must have been amazing 111 and 56 sqn under the same roof 'The Firebirds' it is probbaly airfix best kit to be honest its a lovely build fairly straight forward, hardly had any problems at all (surprising for airfix) you get the option of the one i did 5 sqn at RAF Binbrook, also 19 Sqn at Guttersloh in Germany (late 80's) finished in that lovely all silver with a blue tail and finally in a camoflage finish 11 sqn also it Binbrook, it is a re-release last year as the kit i think originally came out in the late 90's, quite glad they brought it back on the market again, wonderful aircraft, sits with a proper presence on my shelf :)

• 1 month later...

just an update for anyone thats interested, i will be building another Lightning 1/48 kit this one here is the F.6 i will doing the F.2A variant this time in the metal finish with a blue spine and tail of No.92 Sqn, so keep a look out i'll post pictures of both together :)