Vacform IL-76VKP/82 - Update page 4 03/Jul

Radleigh

Most of my models are at my mum's, Where I'm off to :P;)

Looking good, I succumbed and bought the A-model kit of the Il-76

Kev, been meaning to PM you. I need some dimensions if possible from the AModel kit. :) Thanks too :)

Final update before new year now, change in personal plans so got a bit of spare time tonight and I'm pleased to say that the fuselage is now together! yahoo.gif Although this is going to be far from a walk in the park but this is one reason I've done this build. This will pick up errors and be a massive learning curve too compared to the Hudson (which is like a Tamiya kit compared to this!).

As you'll see from photos, the fit isn't great in some parts, but again will be good practise. Overall though, I'm chuffed with the fit, bar a few small problems. The joins however feel really strong so I'm happy with that, the tabs and keels have done their job well!

Also, the eagle eyed modellers will see I haven't made room for a wing spar, this is because I'm going to go about it a different way. I plan on joining the wings together on the spar then slot it in from the top in a area which will be cut open for it to slide down into and lastly, the cockpit is also being cut off having the cockpit made then put back in. (Probably creating more work for myself, but it'll be fun right?)

(Photos have been taken with a 100mm Macro lens so the bad areas are looking alot worse than they actually are.)

Photos in no particular order,

8302235630_731cb03056_z.jpg

MB9T3303 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

8302235320_02846b9245_z.jpg

MB9T3304 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

8301182775_472fcb731f_z.jpg

MB9T3306 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

8302234440_4629430e18_z.jpg

MB9T3308 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

8301182049_b561a335c5_z.jpg

MB9T3310 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

8302233888_bd038c8ed9_z.jpg

MB9T3311 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

and finally a money shot.

8302235924_9c439c9e43_z.jpg

MB9T3301 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

Wow. Looking great mate. In the big scheme of things that doesn't look too bad fit wise, on a par with their Shackleton I wrestled with.

A bit of car body filler and you'll be fine!

Keep up the good work.

Radleigh, you must of caught what ever Tom has, she's going together very quickly and without compromise, Really looking forwards to more.

What happened with that Russian helicopter you was building earlier in the year (the one that was derelict), I loved what were doing with the paintwork ?

Cheers, Neil

Wow. Looking great mate. In the big scheme of things that doesn't look too bad fit wise, on a par with their Shackleton I wrestled with.

A bit of car body filler and you'll be fine!

Keep up the good work.

I'm pretty sure when you come to do yours it'll be alot easier for you but you'll see how bad the fuselage really is. I'm looking forward to doing the P38, I spent 12 years working with the stuff but never on models!

Cheers Tom.

Radleigh, you must of caught what ever Tom has, she's going together very quickly and without compromise, Really looking forwards to more.

What happened with that Russian helicopter you was building earlier in the year (the one that was derelict), I loved what were doing with the paintwork ?

Cheers, Neil

Thanks Woody, not fully caught it.. as no detail is going on the inside bar a small bit of cockpit detail once the nose is off.

The Mil-4 is tucked away, I moved house and everything got put in boxes. The problem is where I've moved into (It's a coach house but more like a studio apartment) has no loft, was built up into and the conservatory is to cold. (awaiting heating to go into it) so until that is done I can't carry it on. I've done some more work on it so I could update the thread, keep an eye out after new year :)

• Like 1

No idea how I missed this one until now but great work so far fella.

Thanks Col.

Just wondering if the drawings and pictures were of any use Radleigh?

Chris.

Really helpful! Especially for some parts that will be scratch built I can use the drawings to give me a rough size. Thanks again :)

Nice choice Radleigh and good luck with the old beastie. Looking good so far, there's a fair bit of work involved with this one if I recall....(think I'll stick to the Amodel monster for now...)

Thanks Andy, Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday the P38 will be coming out, been down my parents for a bit but am back now, just a bit of shopping to do then I got a few days spare until I'm back at work so you should see some progress all being well!

Hopefully have the Amodel one later in the new year myself as I would like at least 3 IL-76's built (even if it means going back to another vac!) :)

Hope you all had a great xmas!

Radleigh.

Looking good Radleigh!

:popcorn:

Nutter! I love it!

Cheers

John

Thanks guys!

Been working on it most of this evening, I thought I had P38 with me, but I actually have 'Bonds - FEW' which is the same as P38 but I find it finer when sanding. The whole fuselage joins are now done thankfully as I have spent the last 4 hours sanding by hand as the palm sander is just to messy in the house + noise, just the odd pin gentleman's parts to sort out now. Working on the sponser now then will get some photos up shortly.

Looking good though, hopefully have the fuselage in primer very soon!

:)

Update time, managed quite a long day on it yesterday and should do again today.

I've sanded all the front end (just got to tidy around the cockpit glass) but was getting tired so I stopped before I done something wrong, went to bed and watched the new Batman film however I dozed off..

8324572759_482e2e22d1_z.jpg

Vacform IL-76 - IL-82 conversion by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

Sponser, still needing work as you can see but getting there. Hopefully have both front and back done today then I'll go onto the other side to try match them. Going to be fun!

8325629626_ef8ed8394a_z.jpg

In this photo, if you look at the top left wing spar. I've hit a problem. It doesn't look that bad in this photo, but appears worse when actually looking at it. The spar kicks up a bit sending the wing in the wrong direction. Annoying as it looked fine when dry fitting. I'll have to work something out when I come to attach the wings. As said previously the wings will be on their own spar then attached so it should be ok, will just need attention when fitting.

8325629330_e0150b50a6_z.jpg

and finally, an overall look. Really happy with yesterdays efforts although I've still got loads to do it's finally looking like a IL-76/82 in the making, no nasty joins to be seen here!

8324573019_28913a2f0b_z.jpg

Happy new year everyone! Didn't get in until the early hours so will see if any production gets done today! Work tomorrow though and got some sorting to do.

Progress has been made with the engine and tail so shall get photos up of that at least later on. :)

Cheers John,

Neil, I've done sod all, all day apart from going to see a film (The Impossible - quite good!) and stuffing my face of Nando's.

Thought I would get some photos up of the engines before I start working on them, as you can see they are proper basic and slightly wrong in line detail/shape. I'm making one 'good' one and then casting 4 good ones/8 halfs (hopefully...) for the kit. This way I can add all the rivet detail, panel lines etc and then they will all look the same, depending how good my casting is!

The top two are just to show what they look like cut of the backing plastic.

8335583930_88c86ce01e_z.jpg

Engine showing the front, I'm going to cut this out, so technically it's hollow, I won't be adding any internal detail from the front as I'll be making engine blanks for the front of all 4 engines. I will however be having the thrust reversers open so a bit of detail on the rear end.

8335584406_b7d65149ea_z.jpg

Back end open, no detail here what so ever and is wrong in shape. Thrust petals are incorrect too.

8335584944_42744414f0_z.jpg

and lastly, the tail minus the rudder as this will be corrected / refitted.

8334572115_b69b000baa_z.jpg

I admire your courage at tackling a Sanger vacform Radleigh - great job so far.

I did the Amodel kit - more expensive, but much easier.....

il-76_49.jpg

Re the engine exhaust/thrust reverser buckets - I took a couple of close-up photos of one at Domodedovo - shout if you need them.

Ken

• Like 1

I admire your courage at tackling a Sanger vacform Radleigh - great job so far.

I did the Amodel kit - more expensive, but much easier.....

Re the engine exhaust/thrust reverser buckets - I took a couple of close-up photos of one at Domodedovo - shout if you need them.

Ken

Thanks Ken, you may remember my thread a while back about the IL-78. I want the Amodel kit, just not yet though, to much to pay for etc!

I'm open to any photos too, they all help. I'll drop you a PM soon if thats OK with my email :)

Ta!

Radders,

Looking great!

I'll be really interested to see how the casting of the engines go. I am going to be brave enough and attempt to some of my own one day but have no experience in this whatsoever. I want to do a cast for my B-29 main wheels as it will save a lot of work.

I don't blame you for putting the FOD guards on either as it'll save all the hassle of getting the interior of the engines looking right - not easy with a kit like that!

:popcorn:

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks Tom :) I did toy with doing it without FOD guards but it really is to much work and I would like this done for a few shows this year, Plus I like the look of it sat there with them in :)

I don't mind offering to cast you a set of your wheels, done a bit of casting before in my last job just not on this scale! Looking forward to doing the engines! Master is nearly ready to scribe etc

Got an idea too regarding the cockpit glazing, my casting kit comes with a 'FREE 25ml twin-syringe of Sylmasta 5 minute clear Epoxy'

So I'm going to take a mould of the cockpit and cast the whole thing in clear epoxy and see how it turns out! As not much detail is seen on the inside.