Vacform IL-76VKP/82 - Update page 4 03/Jul

Radleigh

Hi guys,

Another vacform on the forum... this time in the shape of a IL-76 in 1/72.

I'm not to sure on what it's going to look like when done, the fuselage looks 'OK' but the tail plane is going to need some work as to me it don't look right. I'm not one for rivet counting but I would like it to resemble a IL-76/78 at least. I'm actually building this as a IL-82 / IL-76VKP (See here for those that don't know!)

I've cut out and sanded all the fuselage, made most of the bulkheads so the fuselage isn't far off going together. Once the fuselage is together I plan on cutting the front off to do all the interior of the cockpit etc!

Here's the kit for the time being. (photos taken on a set of scales that are 4ft square to give a rough size)

7419269320_2e15c7e4e8_c.jpg
Sanger - IL-78 'Midas' - 1/72nd scale vacform kit. by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

7419269020_a0cd6d397c_c.jpg

7419269774_a4c5f0780c_c.jpg

Update soon ;)

Edited by Radleigh

Cheers Chris :)

Right, the fun part.

Fuselage parts off the sheet and sanded, placed on work surface and as you can see, warped badly on one side more than the other.

8270220125_66df6a6cf2_c.jpg

Vacform IL-76 - IL-82 conversion by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

I've made milliput inserts for the main wheels, this was removed once set, then the plastic sanded for it to be glued back on (before doing so I took the shape and made plastic inserts for the sponsers)

8277815559_5f72fbfc3a_c.jpg

From the outside, will be neatened up etc when needed.

8277815361_52d57c5d08_c.jpg

I've also made two keels for both fuselage halfs, this brings the fuselage sections together nicely and they now meet up pretty well.

8278872444_0b426a2652_c.jpg

and as you can see here, the keel fitted on the fuselage half, with tabs in the 'teeth' sections so that the two can be mated. Since the photo was taken, I've added more tabs to give it a better join and as Tom pointed out, when it comes to scribing it's a bit more support and it should stop it from cracking along the join. :) (Ignore all the pen work, not very neat but has since been wiped down.)

8277814921_128233841c_c.jpg

More soon..................! ;)

Blimey that's swift progress!!

Any plans for a colour scheme yet? If you fancy something a bit different, I used to watch these nutters land on the blue ice runway at Patriot Hills & now Union Glacier, Antarctica.....

Union Glacier, Antarctica

Looking forward to watching this one!

Doug

PS. Is that really your GF? :coolio:

Cheers Tom, Mike. Might seem quick but It just took me a few days to put it on here ;) (Have been busy)

Blimey that's swift progress!!

Any plans for a colour scheme yet? If you fancy something a bit different, I used to watch these nutters land on the blue ice runway at Patriot Hills & now Union Glacier, Antarctica.....

http://www.flickr.co...oto/8148903704/

Looking forward to watching this one!

Doug

PS. Is that really your GF? :coolio:

Only one scheme for RA-76450, Aeroflot colours ;) Smart photo though (Just invited it to a group on Flickr), I can't tell you how envious I am!

And yes, it is. :D

Edited by Radleigh

Mate, this is a very ambitious project!

Good luck with that!

Just out of memory - apart from evident "hump" on the forehead there are the following areas of attention:

- no navigator windows

- reduced fairing of weather radar (as on A-50)

- no entry door on port board

- main landing wheel fairings as on A-50 (wider than on Il-76 and have two air intakes)

- APU is moved to the port side of main landing gear fairings and have projected intake as on A-50

- two large antennae on side latches of the ramp

- wire antenna drum on the central ramp latch (submarine communication antenna - the length of the wire is about 5 km)

- because of that drum lower navigation light is moved under the belly

- pylons for VFH anntennae under each wing

There are two of them - 76450 and 76451

Edited by Pin
  • Like 1

Thanks Pin, massive help there, especially the 'wire antenna drum on the central ramp latch' I've looked and looked at photos and thought it was a refuelling pod, the basket hanging out the rear door looks like one. Thanks for that, although I'm unsure on how to model it.. I'm sure something will get sorted though.

This antenna is quite an interesting thing - it is released when the plane is cruising circles at high altitude until the lower weight stabilizes and the wire forms a "cone"

I guess there isn't any photos of the said cone or anything? Would love to see more photos of these aircraft!

I really doubt this such photo exists in open access - the plane is highly classified. The antenna itself is disposable - it is jettisoned after use.

There are quite a few photos on spotter sites, including airliners.net

http://www.airliners.net/search/linkhere.php?id=1877658

Interesting photo - all airborne command centre planes in one place:

http://russianplanes.net/id40612

Little bit more lads,

I've added the starboard undercarriage section, (although none of the panel lines align) not that it matters as the whole aircraft will be smooth before I touch it with a scriber.

8292576108_afaa100dfe_c.jpg

MB9T3277 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

Also cut a slot, ready to extend the sponsers (like the A-50), which will..

8292575234_4ca7f424ab_c.jpg

MB9T3279 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

house this, ready to build up around with milliput and sand to shape. Having never used milliput before I had to redo the inserts for the undercarriage as one of them hadn't set properly, my own fault for mixing it in a room not well lit! This has delayed fitting the other keel, but will do that tomorrow now.

8292575648_1e04953e93_c.jpg

MB9T3278 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

Bit more then off to bed, only two days left of work so I'm up a bit later than usual!

Milliputted the areas that will need work, shall wait 24hrs before I start sanding,cutting etc... I love how you can wet your finger and rub into shape with Milliput, genius!! Had to dab with some tissue though to get rid of the excess hence 'fluff' on milliput in pics.

8291904643_afa41f8862_c.jpg

MB9T3280 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

8291904385_ae535d1ee7_c.jpg

MB9T3282 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

Work was dead today, so got a bit done. Was sanding all day the Milliput shapes on the rear... Some photos for you all.

How they finished up.

8294376553_1639edfe48_z.jpg

MB9T3286 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

8294376211_db281e6056_z.jpg

MB9T3287 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

how they look fitted, from what I can see, when they are glued on little filler work will be needed to flush them in :)

8294375839_526c8a7e44_z.jpg

MB9T3288 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

and some shaping on the front end,

8294375503_2a093b8cd2_z.jpg

MB9T3289 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

More soon ;)

Been holding a hair dryer on the front end while it's held in shape then dipping it into cold water to try solve the front and it's working nicely, so the fuselage can now go together before the nose is chopped off :) Doubt I will get an update now until after new year (I may do tomorrow) as I'm heading south for a bit.

Happy Christmas & Happy new year to all!

Radleigh.