Airfix 2015

Enzo the Magnificent

I’d love to see a new Privateer (over 700 built, 4 users, no contraprops or spinners either) but I know It’s not going to happen, so I’m just glad with what we do have. Oh yes, my stash grows every year…

You've summed it all up there in your last paragraph precisely why they won't do a Shackleton, less of them were manufactured and there were only a couple of users, they just don't have the widespread appeal! OK you'd buy a couple and maybe a couple of your mates and their pet dog Simon might but then what? They'd bomb and end up being sold at a loss, the same goes for a Lincoln or an Argosy (or for that matter the Supermarine fat knackers the Swift and Scimitar), these really are Moon-on-a-Stick territory. I for one hope Airfix don't do these, I'd rather see a healthy Airfix selling lots of kits of far more popular subjects than them go under struggling to sell niche subjects to a few enthusiasts.

I'd agree that a 1/48th Puma would do well, far more widespread use, probably more popular overall. Be better if they reworked the 72nd scale one as well

I know this is a hypothetical/wish list sort of thread but you need to apply a bit of business savvy to your wishlist or else you're going to be perpetually disappointed!

Wez

Edited by Wez

Am I the only one who thinks a 1/48 Early Harrier family is a "logical" subject for Airfix to kit.. noting their heritage,

No you're not, given the work they've done for the 1/72nd ones they've announced for 2013, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them in 1/48th during 2014.

Wez

If Airfix was attempting to increase sales in the US then 1/48 would be the way to go and produce a F-101A Voodoo or a F9F-6/8 Cougar or even a proper FJ-3 Fury.

Lots of colourful markings in all of those even though they were only used by the USA.

Personally I would like to see a Lightning F1/3, Lightning T4/5, Hunter T7 and a Meteor family F4 to NF14 all to 1/72.

Robert

You've summed it all up there in your last paragraph precisely why they won't do a Shackleton, less of them were manufactured and there were only a couple of users, they just don't have the widespread appeal! OK you'd buy a couple and maybe a couple of your mates and their pet dog Simon might but then what? They'd bomb and end up being sold at a loss, the same goes for a Lincoln or an Argosy (or for that matter the Supermarine fat knackers the Swift and Scimitar), these really are Moon-on-a-Stick territory. I for one hope Airfix don't do these, I'd rather see a healthy Airfix selling lots of kits of far more popular subjects than them go under struggling to sell niche subjects to a few enthusiasts.

I'd agree that a 1/48th Puma would do well, far more widespread use, probably more popular overall. Be better if they reworked the 72nd scale one as well

I know this is a hypothetical/wish list sort of thread but you need to apply a bit of business savvy to your wishlist or else you're going to be perpetually disappointed!

Wez

I'm not so sure, Wez. A few years ago we would have been saying the same thing about the Valiant, or a 1/48 Sea Vixen or Javelin.

While I agree that the Lincoln or Argosy would not happen, I'm not so sure about the Shackleton. It is still an aircraft remembered by many, and of which there are several in museums around the UK, which means it does have a 'presence' in the 21st century and can be seen regularly by members of the public. It is also a subject I am asked for on a not infrequent basis in the shop.

It is also of a similar size to the Lancaster, and could therefore retail at the same price point as the new Lancs Airfix are releasing this year. I would never say never.

Edited by T7 Models

I think a LINCOLN could happen with a little fore-thought at the design phase by Airfix , in the nature of their "conversion kit" for the Valiant

for example one sprue could contain - an engine cowling , a propeller, spinner, a treaded main wheel half ,and and be run off x 4

a clear sprue could contain the - new one piece nose section, rear turrent and the radomes run off x 1

a third sprue would have the - new nacelles (with part of the leading edge included -possibly what they are doing to accomadate the radials on the

BII so it just "slots" into the wing ), new wingtips , rear fuselage extension , and new rudders run off x 1

if the basic Lancaster versions had lightly scribed "cutting lines" on the inside of the fuselage and wings youlld be done and dusted (or they "could" go the whole hog and design the kits with optional noses, wingtips etc)

if these tool modifications were designed into the kit from the start , theoreticly, production costs for the Lincoln could be borne by the already announced versions and Airfix would get another large "brand NEW" kit to sell to the public ...... just imagine an A tooby painting of a mau mau campaign Lincoln in that red box.....ild have purchased that as a kid ! ...

and.....if it comes to pass ill pr-order 3 for shipping to New zealand thanks :)

Edited by Neil Lambess 01

oh and a new tool DH 88 Comet Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

considering the recent re-boxings in the "black magic" and "green one" schemes i assume its a good seller and is screaming out for replacement.....

(and yeah i purchased both boxings just for the decal sheets to use on the heritage kit ! :P )

I don't recall them having much distribution into the US market, though - will we see other brands reboxing new-era Airfix kits for such markets?

They're easily available over here. All of our major online retailers sell them, and my local hobby shop has a good stock and gets their new releases.

Phantoms! There are none in the Arifix catalogue and hasn't been for some years now. I'd be happy with ANY of the RAF/FAA ones or any other mark.

Maybe reworks of all the 'blue' WW2 US Navy types, like the Avenger, Wildcat etc., BN Islander, Basset, Skyvan, Belvedere all revised......

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1

I agree a Phantom would be a seller, FG1, FGR2 of course. Given how hard the Fujimi kit is to get and the home market advantage it would sell. I'd like to see the Sea Vixen in 1/72 and a Buccaneer to go with it.

Shackleton/Lincoln, I can't see them selling enough to make it worthwhile. A Halifax would likely sell more and given how badly Revell messed theirs up Airfix have a clear run at it. A Beau is a dead cert sooner or later and a new Mossie. I know we don't need one but they've done the work in 1/24.

I could see a 1/48 Hurricane selling loads as the Hasegawa ones are hard to get and must be made of unicorn horn given how much they cost. Ditto a Typhoon.

Speaking of which a new 1/72 Eurofighter would sell. The Revell one is nice but if Airfix could better it I can see them shifting a few over the coming years/decades it's around. Of course they might wait for the Tranche 3 with CFTs.

Anyway, They're selling me a Lanc BII this year and next year I expect a BI/III to replace my Hase/Revell ones, so I'm happy.

Stuart

A Beau is a dead cert sooner or later and a new Mossie. I know we don't need one but they've done the work in 1/24.

Stuart

We do neet a new Mossie: 1/72 bomber version and with two stage engines. The perfect compliment to their single stage fighter version. It will surely come one day.

Shackleton/Lincoln, I can't see them selling enough to make it worthwhile. A Halifax would likely sell more and given how badly Revell messed theirs up Airfix have a clear run at it. A Beau is a dead cert sooner or later and a new Mossie. I know we don't need one but they've done the work in 1/24.

Yes, given Revell's c**k up with teir Halifax the field is all but clear for Airfix to show them how it should be done.

Cheers

• Like 2

I agree a Phantom would be a seller, FG1, FGR2 of course. Given how hard the Fujimi kit is to get and the home market advantage it would sell. I'd like to see the Sea Vixen in 1/72 and a Buccaneer to go with it.

The Fujimi FG.1 seems to be still listed as a regular production item for Fujimi in Japan, so is the problem just that the UK importers don't see fit to import it?

I think a LINCOLN could happen with a little fore-thought at the design phase by Airfix , in the nature of their "conversion kit" for the Valiant

for example one sprue could contain - an engine cowling , a propeller, spinner, a treaded main wheel half ,and and be run off x 4

a clear sprue could contain the - new one piece nose section, rear turrent and the radomes run off x 1

a third sprue would have the - new nacelles (with part of the leading edge included -possibly what they are doing to accomadate the radials on the

BII so it just "slots" into the wing ), new wingtips , rear fuselage extension , and new rudders run off x 1

if the basic Lancaster versions had lightly scribed "cutting lines" on the inside of the fuselage and wings youlld be done and dusted (or they "could" go the whole hog and design the kits with optional noses, wingtips etc)

if these tool modifications were designed into the kit from the start , theoreticly, production costs for the Lincoln could be borne by the already announced versions and Airfix would get another large "brand NEW" kit to sell to the public ...... just imagine an A tooby painting of a mau mau campaign Lincoln in that red box.....ild have purchased that as a kid ! ...

and.....if it comes to pass ill pr-order 3 for shipping to New zealand thanks :)

If Airfix is really clever, they'll also tool up a set of 90' span wings with a Vulture engine on each. These plus a new set of smaller vertical tails and the central fin would get you to a Manchester. It shouldn't require that many new parts, although the wing halves will be quite big.

• Like 1

If Airfix is really clever, they'll also tool up a set of 90' span wings with a Vulture engine on each. These plus a new set of smaller vertical tails and the central fin would get you to a Manchester. It shouldn't require that many new parts, although the wing halves will be quite big.

Sounds similar to my idea for an F-86D with wing parts which would be interchangeable with the F-86E kit.

Sounds similar to my idea for an F-86D with wing parts which would be interchangeable with the F-86E kit.

Thing is Enzo, your idea is far more likely and less like commercial suicide than the others... ...it also fits in with my preferred modelling theme, but that's purely a coincidence... ...honestly.

There's no bias here... ...step away now!

Wez

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

There's no bias here... ...step away now!

:rofl:

I would love to see a new tool F-86D from Airfix - especially if the wing was interchangeable with the F-86E. If I say it often enough, it'll happen...! :D

The Hasegawa F-86D is a nice kit - I have two in the stash - but it's not exactly easy to find and is expensive when you can find it.. Besides, Airfix (or Cartograf ;) ) could provide stickers for the iconic scheme which they did in the 60s/70s. That would be utterly superb!

• Like 1

:rofl:

I would love to see a new tool F-86D from Airfix - especially if the wing was interchangeable with the F-86E. If I say it often enough, it'll happen...! :D

The Hasegawa F-86D is a nice kit - I have two in the stash - but it's not exactly easy to find and is expensive when you can find it.. Besides, Airfix (or Cartograf ;) ) could provide stickers for the iconic scheme which they did in the 60s/70s. That would be utterly superb!

Also,

You wouldn't feel so guilty about ballsing it up compared to a Hasegawa kit (lets face it, you could balls up 6 or 7 Airfix kits for the price of one Hasegawa kit)!

Now if the 3 or 4 of them out there that keep on banging on about the extremely unlikely prospect of a Manchester/York/Lincoln/Shackleton devoted their energies to something far more likely, saleable and genuinely wanted like an authentic short chord, slat wing Sabre we may actually get something :bleh: !

C'mon Airfix, you're halfway there.

Wez

• Like 1

Now since they'll have a completely new Lancaster series announced I hope they do a Lancastrian and a York ...

Well and the Lincoln 2015

:bounce:

Edited by occa

Also,

You wouldn't feel so guilty about ballsing it up compared to a Hasegawa kit (lets face it, you could balls up 6 or 7 Airfix kits for the price of one Hasegawa kit)!

Now if the 3 or 4 of them out there that keep on banging on about the extremely unlikely prospect of a Manchester/York/Lincoln/Shackleton devoted their energies to something far more likely, saleable and genuinely wanted like an authentic short chord, slat wing Sabre we may actually get something :bleh: !

C'mon Airfix, you're halfway there.

Wez

You wot?? A short chord, slat wing Sabre??? :sleep_1:  :sleep_1:  :sleep_1: Besides, there's 5 of us here banging on about the prospect of a Manchester/York/Lincoln/Shackleton!! :lol: . (not to mention the whillions & zillions of others out there!!) :lol:

Joking apart,Less likely  things have happened!(like a1/48 Javelin!) . Also, with only 300 built ( fewer than the number of Lincolns!), I respectfully suggest that the Lancaster Mk II is itself a relatively unknown version of an (admittedly) very famous war plane! When someone can therefore show me cast iron, guaranteed, incontrovertible proof that that the afore mentioned British heavies are NOT saleable,likely & genuinely wanted, then I'll believe it! :D . Persnally, I'd suggest that the "Lancaster" connection alone would guarantee sales.

However, I am not a sales person/marketing person etc  so,I guess we will just have to wait & see!

Besides, if you REALLY want a Sabre, why not a  "D" version (in 1/48) !

Allan