Airfix 2015

Enzo the Magnificent

I'm wondering if I can detect the glimmerings of a pattern. It's far too early to tell, but I'm hopeful.

We have seen the 1/48 Bf109E downscaled to 1/72. And we have seen the 1/72 Spitfire PR.XIX upscaled to 1/48. Stretching the point slightly, the 1/48 Lightning F2A/F6 and Spitfire 22/24 have both been downscaled to 1/72.

Is it beyong the bounds of probability that Airfix may adopt a policy of releasing a model in one scale and within a couple of years releasing it in the other?

In which case are we likely to see:

1/48 Gnat T1

1/48 Typhoon

1/72 Sea Vixen

1/72 Javelin

1/72 Seafire XVII

1/48 Gladiator

And in that case, I don't care what scale the Beaufighter and Blenheim are.

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Getting the most out of the 2013 new moulds, 2014 will see Hurricane Mk 1 (metal wings), Sea Gladiator, Lancaster B I/III and Typhoon I (car door).

The Bomber resupply set will be followed by a new mould in 1:72 of the Recovery set with the Queen Mary trailer being supplied with the folding vertical supports and a sellection of egg box and matchstick packing.

To commemorate the start of WW1 we will see a FE 2 and Taube and a series of early WW1 figures all in 1:48.

I'll be the first.... 1/72nd VC-10 ;)

I'll second that!! I also pray for a 2014 free from F-16s/F-22s/F-18s/Spitfires/BF-109s/FW-190s/P51s & all the other usual done to death already subjects!!

Please, before you put outraged fingers to keyboard, I am well aware that very valid commercial considerations will dictate these choices because they sell!!

Now, for my choices ;

Vulcan B1/B1A

Victor B1/B2

Shackleton

Lincoln

Manchester

Spey Phantom ( not one of those J-79 engined wussies!)

1/72 VC-10 ( thought I'd mention that again!! :lol:

Mirage III/V

Anything jet powered & with big red stars on it!!

Now, floaty things ;

(all 1/350)

County class/Town class heavy cruiser

Dido class light cruiser

Tribal class destroyer

Abdiel class minelayer

Hunt class destroyer

Leander class light cruiser

Any post WWII Royal Navy stuff!

Think that's enough for now :lol:

Oh yes - a new C130 would be nice too!!

Edited by Albeback52

I'll second that!! I also pray for a 2014 free from F-16s/F-22s/F-18s/Spitfires/BF-109s/FW-190s/P51s & all the other usual done to death already subjects!!

Please, before you put outraged fingers to keyboard, I am well aware that very valid commercial considerations will dictate these choices because they sell!!

Now, for my choices ;

Vulcan B1/B1A

Victor B1/B2

Shackleton

Lincoln

Manchester

Spey Phantom ( not one of those J-79 engined wussies!)

1/72 VC-10 ( thought I'd mention that again!! :lol:

Mirage III/V

Anything jet powered & with big red stars on it!!

Now, floaty things ;

(all 1/350)

County class/Town class heavy cruiser

Dido class light cruiser

Tribal class destroyer

Abdiel class minelayer

Hunt class destroyer

Leander class light cruiser

Any post WWII Royal Navy stuff!

Think that's enough for now :lol:

Oh yes - a new C130 would be nice too!!

Yep, once you take commercial considerations into it about the only things you're likely to see from your list of aircraft are the Mirage III/V, the Spey Phantom and possibly the Herc', still we all like to have our Moon on a stick lists, it's just that some are more realistic than others.

Your list of water-borne targets has got some interesting choices... ...don't know enough about them to judge whether they're viable.

Wez

To echo what was said above re patterns following various releases, I think the same. Especially with the Lightning. 2012 gave us the 48th F2A/F6 with a 72nd F2a for 2013. Now my thought goes on and a feeling is 2014: 1/48th F1A/F2/F3 re issued and in 2015: 1/72nd versions of the same F1/2 and 3 marks. And as a bonus maybe the two seaters....

Edited by Paul J

Yep, once you take commercial considerations into it about the only things you're likely to see from your list of aircraft are the Mirage III/V, the Spey Phantom and possibly the Herc', still we all like to have our Moon on a stick lists, it's just that some are more realistic than others.

Your list of water-borne targets has got some interesting choices... ...don't know enough about them to judge whether they're viable.

Wez

Hello Wez

Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you.Viability is obviously (and rightly) an issue but, I deliberately chose several classes of vessel that saw much action ( and, unfortunately losses). I appreciate though that you may not know much about them. I'd like to have added a Resolution class battleship and, Queen Elizabeth class battleship but, we now have the lovely Trumpeter kits for the latter (HMS Warspite). I agree with you also re the wingy things but, one never knows!!

Overall though, I'm personally quite happy with Airfix 2013!!

Didn't Airfix say that they had things planned out to 2017 already. If so we're wasting our breath.

But for what it's worth - BEAUFIGHTER :hobbyhorse:

Stu

Hello Stu.

Yes, I think you're right there but, wasting our breath like this IS good fun!! By the way, may I suggest a Beaufort to go with your Beaufighter? Maybe even a Merlin engined Beaufighter? :D

Edited by Albeback52

Airfix have been replacing old tools of all types, especially bread and butter kits, and introducing new subjects which are pretty strictly British.

And their marketing has used every anniversary excuse possibel to get the buyer's attention.

With 2014 being the centenary of the start of WW1 I suspect we'll see at least one WW1 biplane replaced with a new tool. The Hannover is probably not it, but should be because the existing kit is not terribly accurate but the subject is much loved and there is little competition.

And if not in 2014, we have until 2018 for more anniversaries,

I also note that their 1:350 ship range is exclusively British. Maybe an iconic RN ship from WW1, otherwise a current RN ship?

If *I* was marketing for them, I'd be releasing a range of Flower Class vessels in 1:350 Small enough to build in numbers, big enough to make a small ship visible, varied enough to allow a few basic sub types to provide conversion grist to the modeller and aftermarket mill. If there IS a profitable market for ships within the Hornby business plan, maybe that's a chance.

All of the above is my opinion of what we MAY see, not what I personally want. I got some of it this year, and indications that much more will flow to me as the years pass.

Shane

Didn't Airfix say that they had things planned out to 2017 already. If so we're wasting our breath.

Stu

Not really. The thread is about what Hornby/Airfix will give us next year, not what we want. In which case, we should also be predicting releases in 2015 through to 2017.

Anyway, i bet it isn't cast in stone. I reckon 2013 is set, with maybe a couple of surprise announcements but the right or wrong world event, or (for example) a mad run on biplane kits in early 2013 could influence them into moving the schedule about a bit.

Shane

Go on then i'l join in all in 48th please.....

Puma

Wasp/Scout

Whirlwind HAS21/22/7/9 four in one kit or two kits poiston and turbine + HAR10 for the crab fans.

Sycamore

A 350th scale Ton class mine sweeper.

24th scale Ferrari 250LM

Colin

• Like 1

Go on then i'l join in all in 48th please.....

Puma

Wasp/Scout

Whirlwind HAS21/22/7/9 four in one kit or two kits poiston and turbine + HAR10 for the crab fans.

Sycamore

A 350th scale Ton class mine sweeper.

24th scale Ferrari 250LM

Colin

Now if you were putting all those helos in a 1/72 list, I'd have to agree!

Mark.

Hello there, I was going to start this thread but you beat me!

I was going to suggest WW1 AIRCRAFT as the main new tools because 2014 will be the 100th Anniversary of the start of WW1.

Don't forget this from 2010:

In the build up to the First World War centenary in 2014, Airfix secures key license from the Imperial War Museum

As the nation commemorates Armistice Day on 11 November, the Imperial War Museum licensing programme is well advanced in its planning to mark the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War in 2014. As part of the Museum’s commemorations, Airfix , part of the Hornby group, a current licensee, will be developing a range of dioramas and military vehicles.

Elizabeth Bowers, Head of Publishing and Licensing, says ‘ 2014 is a major anniversary for the Imperial War Museum and we are delighted that Airfix have seized the opportunity to work with us. We will be revealing more details and licenses throughout the year in the lead up to Brand Licensing in 2011.

On 12th November the Imperial War Museum will open The Lord Ashcroft Gallery, housing the Extraordinary Heroes exhibition of Ashcroft’s collection of Victoria Crosses, the largest in the world.

Darrell Burge, Head of Marketing for Airfix says that ‘we were very keen to secure the Imperial War Museum as a key license as part of our strategy to commemorate significant anniversaries and in particular that of First World War. The Museum offers us expert advice and unrivalled access to their collections ensuring that our products are accurate. As a first step in our strategy in 2011 we will be launching our ‘Victoria Cross Icons’ collection’, telling just a few of the incredible stories of bravery featured in the new Ashcroft Gallery.’

The Imperial War Museum plans to lead national cultural commemorations to mark the First World War Centenary and is embarking on a major project to renew the Museum’s permanent First World War galleries in time for 2014.

Imperial War Museum

The national museum of the experiences of people who have lived, fought and died in conflicts involving Britain and the Commonwealth since 1914.

The Imperial War Museum is the museum of everyone’s story: the history of modern conflict told through the stories of those who were there. It is an educational and historical institution responsible for archives, collections and sites of outstanding national importance.

The Museum’s five branches are Imperial War Museum London, with six floors of exhibitions and displays; Churchill War Rooms, housed in Churchill’s secret headquarters below Whitehall; the Second World War cruiser HMS Belfast; Imperial War Museum Duxford, a world renowned aviation museum and former Second World War airfield; and Imperial War Museum North, housed in a spectacular award-winning building designed by Daniel Libeskind.

Shane, you may want the thread to be about the likeliest releases, but you won't be able to stop people sticking in what they want, regardless of the actual chance of it appearing.

I think the best way of making realistic predictions is to consider which aircraft (or other) subjects are generally well known to the UK audience. Iconic, if you like. Then consider which are around to be seen in air displays and the popular museums. Then look at the old Airfix range for best-sellers that are now old and tired tools - you may consider which are inaccurate and crude, but that may not be a key motivation for Airfix. So yes we will get Spitfires and Hurricanes and 109s and Mustangs and 190s.....what else falls into that class?

I suggest the following

Ju87 - but is the Airfix tooling worn out enough?

P-47

Mosquito - state of tooling?

B-17

Tiger Moth (perhaps)

Sherman (if they intend to carry on with the 1/76 range)

Think not only of the WW1 anniversary but D-Day. Arnhem.

The three key words are "Popular" "British" and "Market", or so it seems to me. Anything foreign will only get a look in if it is very well known over here. So probably no Yak 9, sadly.

Edited by Graham Boak

The three key words are "Popular" "British" and "Market", or so it seems to me. Anything foreign will only get a look in if it is very well known over here. So probably no Yak 9, sadly.

Well, thank you for at least acknowledging my persistent obsession - someone is noticing, even if it's not Airfix. But look - here's a British connection; everyone - check this, and soon you'll all be wanting a new Yak-9:

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Research/Yakovlev/Storrar/index.php

Loook into my eyyyes and repeat after meeee...

John

• Like 1

Well i'm guessing we will see other boxings of the Lanc - 'standard' BI/III, maybe a Tallboy/Grandslam option, and I dare say at some point maybe later a post-war?

A Two-seater Lightning would also be very welcome, plus a nice Scimitar, and would it be asking too much to expect some Two-seater Harriers too?

But yes, given the year, I wonder what they would repop in D-Day stripes? A new-tool Dakota would be fab! Tempest would make a good companion to the Typhoon

I'd like to see a Victor too (think of that boxset, all 3 V-bombers!)

Well i'm guessing we will see other boxings of the Lanc - 'standard' BI/III, maybe a Tallboy/Grandslam option, and I dare say at some point maybe later a post-war?

A Two-seater Lightning would also be very welcome, plus a nice Scimitar, and would it be asking too much to expect some Two-seater Harriers too?

But yes, given the year, I wonder what they would repop in D-Day stripes? A new-tool Dakota would be fab! Tempest would make a good companion to the Typhoon

I'd like to see a Victor too (think of that boxset, all 3 V-bombers!)

I think you are correct about a new Lancaster BI/111, given that the existing one is so old. The new tools will surely lend themselves to that. As for a Dakota, I suspect you are out of luck given that what appears to be an "old" one is due to be (re) issued in 2013.