Airfix 2015

Enzo the Magnificent

Skua, probably

I want to know when we'll get a replacement for the Spitfire Vb, the current one is looking decidedly long in the tooth and was some twenty odd years ago. All they've got to do is a new wing sprue for the Ia kit. A mk XIV would be nice too..

Couldn't agree more, though the Vb is nearer 35 years old! Even now there is no (better) Vb as all the more recent V's are Vc's. Unfortunately the wing bulges (unique to the Vb, and inaccurate on the kit) are difficult to correct.

That said, the Vb had never been 'out of production' so must be one of the best investments Airfix ever made, hence no real incentive to do anything except to invest elsewhere.

That said, the Vb had never been 'out of production' so must be one of the best investments Airfix ever made, hence no real incentive to do anything except to invest elsewhere.

But that has apparently been the incentive behind many of the new toolings - kits that have been more or less constant in the catalogue for the past half century or more!

I'd also love a new Battle & Defiant....

• Like 1

Hmm, I think that the Skua could be on the nose, particularly if it is done as a Roc as well. Series 3 boxings, with one of the Roc options to be the aircraft of Midshipman Day of 806 NAS, who scored the Roc's only confirmed kill (a Ju 88) on 28 May 1940 near Ostende.

It certainly fits in with Airfix's choices of subject.

Hmm, I think that the Skua could be on the nose, particularly if it is done as a Roc as well. Series 3 boxings, with one of the Roc options to be the aircraft of Midshipman Day of 806 NAS, who scored the Roc's only confirmed kill (a Ju 88) on 28 May 1940 near Ostende.

It certainly fits in with Airfix's choices of subject.

So a new Roc and Ju88 dogfight double then, two birds with one stone...

Re the Mk.Vb: as supposedly one reason for the new Mk.I was worn tooling, won't the same be true for the Mk.Vb? The wing bulges are not the only thing wrong with this kit, which is surprisingly different from their old Mk.I which came out fairly soon afterwards. Wing shape, funny kink at wing root, aileron chord, and too short in the nose if we are to believe their new Mk.I. It bears repeating that the parts are already available "in the box" for a Mk.Va.

That one or more good kits, already available from other companies, make no money for Airfix is clear; but that doesn't affect whether I (or you) will or should show any great enthusiasm for yet another Ju88A. Yes, Airfix's Ju88 is one of their least decent kits, but that doesn't hasn't prevented reissues of others even worse. As suggested in the postings above, there are a number of subjects more in need of replacement or even introduction to the range that could still offer sizable sales.

It's also over 50 years old. Well overdue for replacement.

That's what the wife says about me :banghead:

• Like 5

Also the Revell 262A of a decade or so ago, which was a decent cheap kit when it came out, has suffered mould wear and is now not so attractive. The canopies in particular is very poor on recently manufactured examples.

It came out in '97 and the canopies were showing mould wear even then - I bought a load on initial release and they had damage. The wheels also invariably had sink marks.

• Like 2

Wasn't it a Pro-Modeller kit before Revell got their hands on it (their Bf.109G-10 too)? :hmmm:

it was released in Promodeller packaging around the same time, but it was a Revell Germany tool,

Cheers,

Bill.

Don,t put it past Airfix to throw in a few curve balls in 2015,I think everyone,s wants and wishes have been covered in this thread so here,s a few

predictions from me,1/72,Martlet,Jaguar,Buccaneer, Tornado,1/48 Scimitar,Spitfire MKIX,1/76 Sherman Firefly,Churchill.1/350 HMS Queen Elisabeth

class carrier with F35/F18 super Hornets(as it,s about another Government change of mind time).

I don't think they should do the Queen Elizabeth class yet, the Government don't seem to know what the hell their doing with it so if I were Airfix I'd wait till it's fully built to get it accurate.

Paul Harrison

re the QEs: it is more important to get it out first than to get it right for service use. Witness the SR53, NA39, Jaguar prototype, MRCA, Bristol 192, and no doubt a long list of others - a habit not restricted to Airfix.

Edit. Shame on me - I didn't include the Jetstream.

Edited by Graham Boak

That poster is the rerelease but the artwork in Flypast that is attributed to Airfix is a different, and rather gorgeous, picture of a Battle banking with clouds in the background. I thought that it would mean a new Battle was definitely on it's way but after doing a little internet search I've just seen it was used on the box art for the Victoria Cross Icons Gift Set they brought out. Ah bugger.

http://www.airfix.com/victoria-cross-icons-gift-set-1-72.html

That poster is the rerelease but the artwork in Flypast that is attributed to Airfix is a different, and rather gorgeous, picture of a Battle banking with clouds in the background. I thought that it would mean a new Battle was definitely on it's way but after doing a little internet search I've just seen it was used on the box art for the Victoria Cross Icons Gift Set they brought out. Ah bugger.

Don't be downhearted mate, the absence of new box art doesn't really indicate much and you can be sure that the Fairey Battle will be on Airfix's list of kits that need to be replaced with new toolings.

The original must have long since paid for its moulds and the kit has sold consistently (albeit at a lower volume than Spittys and Hurricanes) for getting on for 50 years even though most modellers are aware of its shortcomings; as mid-term investments a new-tooled Battle, Beaufighter, Defiant, Hampden, Anson, Whirlwind etc all make as much sense as the new Blenheims and I doubt Airfix will be losing any money on those.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I would expect a new mould Defiant or Battle at some point, maybe not next year but eventually. There does appear to be a late 1930s theme to some of their recent releases (early Hurricane, early Spitfire, Blenheim, Gladiator, Swordfish, Tiger Moth and the possible Roc/Skua) so they are natural subjects. I shouldn't be at all surprised either to see a new-mould Wellington, Anson or even a Whitley in a future Airfix catalogue.

Edited by T7 Models