Airfix 2015

Enzo the Magnificent

Well, I am glad that you have found Airfix on your model shop shelves...I promise you the model shops I frequent in the US do not hold Airfix kits...well they didn't in 2013 anyhow.

And as I say it was not just Florida or Columbus but also some parts of Canada, Cleveland, California...and believe me I do seek out model shops.

Glad to be proven wrong.

So I just got the Airfix newsletter on email and the announcement of the RAF Vehicle set with a lovely motorcycle got me buzzing...then I was disappointed to find it in 1/72 scale. Oh well maybe a 1/48 set will make its self known.

How did that come as a surprise? You were painting a picture you were widely informed and up to speed.

The picture I painted was about the Typhoon and the other aircraft I had seen at Telford...didn't know about the RAF Vehicle set...I try to keep well informed...this one came out of left field. I suspect we'll see a few on the club stands soon. Just a shame it's not in 1/48

..didn't know about the RAF Vehicle set...I try to keep well informed...this one came out of left field. I suspect we'll see a few on the club stands soon. Just a shame it's not in 1/48

Not if you build 1/72nd it isn't. I'm rather pleased that this set, the bigger bomber support set that they originated in, last years Harriers, Typhoon, Hurricane & Vampire T11, the Lightnings (at last, but where are the small tank jets Airfix), the Blenheims, Do-17, Swift, Tiger Moth, DC-3 etc are all in 1/72 - that was Airfix's traditional strength & I'm glad they seem to still remember that. To an extent anyway, real shame that the Javelin & Sea Vixen were done in 1/48th...!!

• Like 3

Ha ha...ok tit for tat....touche and all that. I guess there are 1/72 camps and 1/48 camps...however the Xtrakit Sea Vixen was pretty good and didn't Airfix do the Javelin in 1/72?

Perhaps a set of 1/48 RAF Vehicles would be nice next year...

"..the Xtrakit Sea Vixen was pretty good??",.............Now there's something you don't hear said very often!!!!

Well, after a wee bit of work it didn't turn out too bad. I only listed 27 areas where I had to improve the kit. Mind you, those were just the ones I listed! :):):)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932239-de-havilland-sea-vixen-faw2-tt-172-xtrakitmpm/

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

...however the Xtrakit Sea Vixen was pretty good...

Now that is either a wind up or you've never actually seen one!! No,no,no,no - it was most definitely not pretty good - but as Bill has shown (& as I did myself when it first came out - with much blood, sweat, tears & foul language it can be made to look like a Sea Vixen!) Don't even mention the Cyber Hobby abortion...!!

and didn't Airfix do the Javelin in 1/72?

Yes. Not long after it had left front line service! And Frog did one too, which was probably marginally better. But now we're back on ancient kits that really need replacement by state of the art new toolings. I wonder which company are doing a good job of that at the moment? Oh yes, Airfix....!!

• Like 1

Just got the latest issue of FlyPast, the one with a rather nice Frightning on the cover. Inside there are some Fairy Battle features (and a nice cutaway). One of the images is a computer generated picture attributed to Airfix.........

Trevor

• Like 4

Airfix aways surprises me with how far they have got with announced kits for 2014 and are already showing sprue shots, although they are test shots.

Last year it was the Vampire and this year the Tiger Moth which were announced and ready for delivery within a couple of months. Out of all the mainstream manufacturers they always have something to show. As a for instance the Revell Gripen was announced last year and still no sprues, just a picture.

So when does the Airifx 'year' begin ?

Does it mean they are finalising tooling for 2015 already ?

Robert

Hi Robert

Airfix have got their act together, the kits they announce each year are now generally well into development, most will have been taken to test shot and and final approval before the range is confirmed, aother will be at prototype master or finalised design so they know how long it should take to finalise and produce over the course of the year.

They have actually said in the past that they work 3 years ahead so they will be doing research for 2017 models now designing 2016 models and developing 2015 models ready for the end of November.

This is why at the trade shows at the start of the year some of the new kits are to test shot and sprues, others are resin masters and the rest CGI or artwork, as the year goes on the road show then keeps abreast with development as we then see the models develop to test shots and eventual sale.

Airfix have learnt from the past, they have developed their own research and design team and now work within their capabilities to ensure where possible that what they announce they produce within the desired yearly window. They really do put the opposition to shame as no rolling over of new kits, no piece meal announcements as and when a kit is ready to be announced and no grand 2 year announcements that may or may not happen, and surprise kits that just suddenly appear that have not been in the new catalogues.

I say well done Airfix as they are showing how things can be done, about the one area i would like to see them expand into is starting up their own mainstream kit production in the UK

• Like 6

I don't celebrate mediocrity - I celebrated a Sea Vixen before the Airfix kit...after all it was pretty much the only Sea Vixen easily available for a while.

Thankfully my wishes were granted with the 1/48 Airfix version...now a 1/32 Sea Vixen or 1/24? Yeah Baby!

I don't celebrate mediocrity - I celebrated a Sea Vixen before the Airfix kit...after all it was pretty much the only Sea Vixen easily available for a while.

Thankfully my wishes were granted with the 1/48 Airfix version...now a 1/32 Sea Vixen or 1/24? Yeah Baby!

You said....."however the Xtrakit Sea Vixen was pretty good". It wasn't, and isn't! At very best it's mediocre (and I'm probably being kind here)....how is that not celebrating mediocrity?

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1

I liked it...I enjoyed making it and it came out ok...I do not follow the sheep I tend to stick with my opinions.

I celebrate the fact that I enjoyed the kit. Not medioctrity.

Thats why I come to Brit modeller to discuss models and the enjoyment of modelling not having an opinion forced upon me like the 12 year olds on Hyperscale.

I hope it won't offend if I return to the title of the post!

Something we WILL be seeing from Airfix in 2105, will be more poseable features.

Most of their aircraft now have poseable control surfaces (I believe the Lanc' had poseable flaps too) the Blenheim has options for the position of the bomb bay doors, and the nose of the Gnat can be set open.

I'm still hoping for a Dauntless with poseable dive brakes.

Thanks for the reply Geoff.

Like you I have nothing but praise for Airfix compared to other producers and it would be good if they could bring back kit production to the UK or even part of it, but that would be a major upheaval to the company and costly no doubt.

Looking forward to their 1/72 T4 Lightning in January 2015 then :wicked:

Robert

Watched Quantum Of Solace again and I want a James Bond Dogfight Double of the Dakota and SF260. Doubt Airfix will do the SF260 so I'll probably have to stick tip tanks on my Airfix SA Bulldog!

Paul Harrison