1/48 - Gloster Javelin FAW.9(R) by Airfix - just re-released

Homebee

Fantastic news! Given the quality and on-going improvements of models coming out of Airfix Towers at the moment, and assuming that the Javellin will be to this standard, I think we are going to see this kit as a benchmark in models from Airfix.

IF this is so and given the amount of plastic in the kit - plus additions like Airbrakes, FOD covers, ladders etc -(complex shapes in their own right) then the RRP is reasonable.

Time for me to maybe start on my Dynavector kit - and backdating to an FAW.4!!

I have a soft spot for the Javelin, enjoying builds of a couple of the Airfix/Heller 1/72 offering (despite the raised detail), but this is brilliant news!!!!!! :pilot::clap2:

The price, however debated, is what you prepared to pay, but by todays standard not to bad really, all things considered i.e. what price a dynavector kit, had Airfix not made the descision to produce the kit.

I admit I can't afford one yet- but it's another type gone onto my wish list.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently become reacquainted with the Frog 1/72 Javelin. What struck me is that the box is full and very heavy. There's a lot of plastic in that kit. Just imagine how heavy the Airfix kit will be. It will probably actually be worth fifty squid!

• Like 1

I just hope that if it sells well that Airfix will scale it down to 72nd, even if they dont and the kit is up to snuff there should be some inspirational builds to follow.

Dek.

• 4 weeks later...

If I get 3 and put them wing to wing, like half a hexagon. Do you think SWMBO will think it's a set of coffee tables ???

• Like 1

Not with that tail. You could try her on a new-style cake stand, though.

Or even as a side table to put a glass of wine and some cheese and biscuits on ............... :hmmm:

Got it !!!!..................... buy a stack of them. Paint them either red, white or blue. Then tie their wing tips together in a row. Hang them up outside and call it buntin........... :gobsmacked:

Or ...

One of the Javelin's nicknames was the Ace of Spades. If you buy 55 in 1/48, and another 20 in 1/72, and paint 'em all black, you'd have enough to make â™ A2345678910 (including the little ones in the corners). At a guess, about another fifty in 1/288 should cover the court cards as well.

Edited by pigsty
  • Like 1

Or ...

One of the Javelin's nicknames was the Ace of Spades. If you buy 55 in 1/48, and another 20 in 1/72, and paint 'em all black, you'd have enough to make â™ A2345678910 (including the little ones in the corners). At a guess, about another fifty in 1/288 should cover the court cards as well.

And I bet you were poker faced when you wrote that. :banghead:

Edited by jenko