1/48 - Gloster Javelin FAW.9(R) by Airfix - just re-released

Homebee

The dream comes true.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Gloster Javelin 1/48 - ref. A12007

Source: http://www.airfix.co...lin-148-a12007/

Obviously a FAW.9R. I like the details as the airbrakes and the dedicated ladder.

a12007.jpg

Hope soon injected 1/48th Supermarine Scimitar, Fairey Gannet AEW and Blackburn Firebrand...

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

Probably be able to get it around the £35-40 mark online though, 50 quid is only the RRP. Didn't think anyone actually paid full price for anything these days?

Well, no - I'll be waiting for the price to soften a bit. It worked for me on the Valiant and I should have done the same for the Vixen.

Can anyone guess why that test-shot(?) is all-grey except for black radome and tyres? Just any old random plastic? (Perfectly feasible - I remember handling the first 1/48 Canberra test-shots, and parts of those were made from old buckets!) Or is it an oddly-rendered computer image?

Edited by pigsty

Very pleased to see the Javelin, even if the choices of colour schemes are limited (if I remember rightly, for a Mk9 you can have dark green/dark sea grey, Boscombe Down red/white or the overall natural aluminium aircraft flown by the CO of No.228 OCU (hmm...). The price is a little high, but it compares favourably with some of the offerings from the likes of Trumpeter etc, particularly if it is to the standard of Airfix's more recent kits. In any case there will be a lot of plastic in the box, with a wingspan of 33cm and a wing area similar to the 1/72 Vulcan -but with many more parts and detail, and hopefully a far better fit.

Oh, and I won't be charging RRP for it.

• Like 1

Well, no - I'll be waiting for the price to soften a bit. It worked for me on the Valiant and I should have done the same for the Vixen.Can anyone guess why that test-shot(?) is all-grey except for black radome and tyres? Just any old random plastic? (Perfectly feasible - I remember handling the first 1/48 Canberra test-shots, and parts of those were made from old buckets!) Or is it an oddly-rendered computer image?

It's a CAD image, not a photograph of a test shot. I can kind of understand why some people object to the price - we'd all like everything to be cheaper - but Airfix are not a charity. They need to make money on this project and have probably (rightly) calculated that they won't shift nearly as many 1:48 Javelins as they will 1:72 Lancasters. They have therefore priced it at the optimum level to ensure that it will still sell to enthusiasts (their target market for this kit) while allowing them to cover their costs in a reasonable amount of time. I gave up 1:48 ages ago, but even I'm tempted by this beast :)

• Like 1

Fantastic news :D

If they need to charge a bit more to make kits that won't sell as much, that's fine by me, and I hope they continue to do so. It will still be much cheaper than the Dynavector kit goes for on ebay!

Great stuff !!...I can see a few of these winging their way to Melchett Towers. The Javelin is a BIG aeroplane and if all the stores are included then I don't think the price is too bad at all, hopefully it'll compare to their excellent Sea Vixen and include a lot of fine detail, (It'll be fun replacing all those VG's with the PE set that Eduard will undoubtedly release in due course).

Melchie

Great stuff !!...I can see a few of these winging their way to Melchett Towers. The Javelin is a BIG aeroplane and if all the stores are included then I don't think the price is too bad at all, hopefully it'll compare to their excellent Sea Vixen and include a lot of fine detail, (It'll be fun replacing all those VG's with the PE set that Eduard will undoubtedly release in due course).

Melchie

Hear Hear, well said, pip-pip toot-toot! :clap2:

It's too big an too expensive for me, but I'm not going to pour cold water on this thread by grumbling that Airfix should have released something else. I'm very pleased to see Airfix release another British Cold War jet and if it sells well then maybe more will follow - like a Scimitar, perhaps.

Of course, having said that it is too big and too expensive, it is entirely possible that these reservations will be completely forgotten if one of these kits seduces me in a Modelzone sale in a couple of years time.

This great news ,and will probably give me the impetus to build my Dynavector kit before the Airfix one comes out. I for one will buy several of these, now who will be first with a conversion kit to the earlier marks ?

Andrew

Although not to my taste I was mighty pleased and suprised to see this announced, because I knew it would please so many of my fellow BM'rs. Looking at this thread I was was right. Merry Christmas to you all!