Heller 1/40 Fouga Magister Irish Air Corps

Been busy with work so not a chance to get any modelling done in a while, so it was time to move out of my 1/144 scale zone and onto something a little bigger.

This is the vintage Heller Fouga kit, to say it was a challenge would be an understatement. I built this for a workmate who wanted it for his Father, it is all raised detail and due to age some of the kit parts had warped including the wings and fuselage,

Main ref book was Fouga Magister, An Irish Perspective By Joe Maxwell and Radu Brinzan

As it is such an odd scale Maxdecals 1/48 sheet was used instead, it was my first time using these and I found them to be superb in quality and they had no problems conforming to the kit details even without using decal softener.

It was also my first time using Tamiya fine primer spray and the Humbrol rattle cans and with the heating tip in warm water worked brilliantly, the dayglo (looks orange in the pics but its more red in real life) and other colours are from Humbrol tins ( hairy stick application!!)

Anyone who knows this kit is aware that the canopy is split down the middle and must be fixed in place before the fuselage is joined, this presented the biggest problem. Some details where not included and need a little scratch-building such as the periscope on the canopy, battery cover vents, new aerials and standard tamiya tape belts.

Anyway I think it all worked out in the end and it built into a really nice kit, as always all comments appreciated.( ADF red and white aerials on the nose where added after these photos where taken) :winkgrin:

DSCF4255.jpg

DSCF4413_zpse0669bca.jpg

DSCF4412_zps47594c43.jpg

DSCF4411_zps28eca8de.jpg

DSCF4409_zps26559fd3.jpg

Edited by mark73
  • Like 5

I think of all the Magister schemes the Silver Swallows' is the nicest, and you have done it justice with your build.

A canopy in two parts split lengthwise? Typically French!

Dave

That's positively edible, Mark, nice one. Would I be correct in thinking that it has the Silver Swallows badge on one side of the forward fuselage and No.1 Fighter Squadron's panther on the other?

I have the 1/200 Shed Models casting and it comes with Air Corps markings among others.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

That's positively edible, Mark, nice one. Would I be correct in thinking that it has the Silver Swallows badge on one side of the forward fuselage and No.1 Fighter Squadron's panther on the other?

I have the 1/200 Shed Models casting and it comes with Air Corps markings among others.

Joseph

Yes your correct the team crest is on the rhs with the fighter sqdn crest on the lhs

• 2 weeks later...