Academy B-47 Stratojet 1/144th

F-32

I picked this little cracker up at this years Yeovilton show in February and have been building it on and off since then. It's a great kit and allows you to build a B or E model although there are some mistakes in the instruction sheet regarding tail armament for each version.

The kit itself goes together very well and has lovely crisp panel lines. There are two schemes on the decal sheet, I opted for the all over silver aircraft simply because I'm lazy, the other aircraft has silver top sides and white undersides. The decals took a while to settle and the red band had to be painted on as the decal didn't fit very well. I opted to leave off the drop tanks as I'd forgotten to make the holes to attach the pylons before I stuck the wings together

If you can find one of these and you like this scale I recommend it as a great model.

8283935421_2683c9deea_b.jpg

IMG_2428 by tony_inkster, on Flickr

8283938515_3922d849bf_b.jpg

IMG_2424 by tony_inkster, on Flickr

8284999602_b3f3290cc5_b.jpg

IMG_2423 by tony_inkster, on Flickr

8285001172_d5e9d20031_b.jpg

IMG_2422 by tony_inkster, on Flickr

8283936825_6d80882e06_b.jpg

IMG_2425 by tony_inkster, on Flickr

• Like 3

Looks great. A pity about the scale though. Just a personal view but, I don't like 1/144. A shame nobody has seen fit to produce a new 1/72 scale kit. The B-47 is of relatively modest dimensions so, even 1/48 should be feasible. Lovely little model though. Have you tried any of their 1/144 B-36s ?

• Like 1

Albeback52, I haven't tried the B-36 yet but it's on my list!

Hasegawa produced a 1/72 B-47 but it's a rare beast now.

Like it..built this earlier in the year..most enjoyable.

Hasegawa is the only game in town for a 1/72 (I've three in me stash) it can also be found in a Frog boxing, going back to when Frog and hase has a tye-in for kit releases. I do wish Hase would re-vamp the kit, it's very basic and yet builds into a really nice model.

7.jpg

W

Edited by Wolfpack

To the OP, nice job with the Academy kit!

In regards to a replacement for the Hasegawa kit... as much of a B-47 fan that I am and as thrilled as I'd be to see an all new state of the art kit... there are many other things I'd like to see issued or re-done before a new Stratojet... as Hasegawa did a fair enough job and it still builds up into a respectable model if done right. Besides, if anyone were to tackle it today, chances are good they'd manage to muck it up somehow and the original Hasegawa kit would STILL be more accurate! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Albeback52, I haven't tried the B-36 yet but it's on my list!

Hasegawa produced a 1/72 B-47 but it's a rare beast now.

It still turns up fairly regularly on ebay. I've got one in the Hasegawa boxing & one in the US Minicraft boxing. Although very basic, it builds into a decent model with a little effort. I'm not bothered about accuracy or otherwise but, it certainly looks the part . The only real issue I had with the kit is the plastic - it's very hard and brittle. I snapped 2 of the wing halves without much effort the last time I built one. I've got a half built 1/72 B-36 which is unlikely to be completed until I can find space for it!! :lol:

Edited by Albeback52

I've got the Hasegawa kit, but I'm tempted for Tiggers 1/48th vac kit in the new year. The B-47 has been a long favourite of mine ever since my dad told me stories of when he used to go to Brize Norton in the 60's/70's and watch them take off on R/JATO with PLUMES of smoke pouring out of them!

Nice model Tony, 1/144th isn't my scale but I can imagine this is a nice little kit to have on a desk or something! Nicely built too :)

• Like 1