Handley-Page Hermes

Jessica

With two weeks to go, I start a third project. Well, restart. Recepping from where I threw it into the Tudor thread, here's the Welsh HP Hermes. It's already started, but I believe that it falls within the "not too started" portion of the rules. If it doesn't, I'll still finish it just because.

Here's the kit in its beginning state

airliner_gb_5.jpg

airliner_gb_6.jpg

So the first thing that has to happen is to glue the major resin parts.

airliner_gb_54.jpg

airliner_gb_55.jpg

This one's going to be another filler monster, so I'd better get started.

You go Jessica.:clap2: I enjoyed your Tudor build & this old job is one of my favourite Brit passenger planes. I always thought them wonderfully well proportioned. Pity they didn't do better, I reckon they deserved to. Watching keenly.

Steve.

With the gloss white on the uppers, the camera reveals that I didn't get the leading edge of the fin properly glued, and that the white paint ran in places. Luckily those places will be silver, but I'm going to have to carefully polish off those runs before I can do more painting. The fin will be easier to correct, since that will get a nice black de-icing boot.airliner_gb_63.jpg

airliner_gb_62.jpg

Edited by Jessica

Nice Jessica, really nice. Thanks for putting up the comparison pictures too. Very interesting to see how close to size & configuration to the DC6 they were, I've long wondered why they didn't do better. Was it a too heavy airframe or what?

Super models whatever the case.

Steve.

The first production aircraft were overweight due to the use of Hastings components, but that was cured by the time the Hermes IV was introduced. I think its largest flaw was that only 29 were built, as compared to 704 DC6s. Douglas was able to exploit economies of scale that Handley-Page simply couldn't.