"Tough little ship" - The USS Defiant

Hey guys - have been doing a bit more work on this project - it's coming along very slowly due to work commitments...

So, on to the plasma vents(?).

Was needing a blue clear piece of plastic and after a bit of head-scratching, I decided to rip some out of a blu-ray disc box ("Skyline" btw, not a very good movie...):

DEF051_zpsc9e47317.jpg

Gave these good few coats of clear blue paint to darken the colour a bit then hot glued these in place with a 6 led strip of blue LEDs angled to give a glow:

DEF053_zps4f12e58f.jpg

A thin strip of sytrene was then used to cover the whole lot up to provide a nice, even glow - flat white inside, flat black outside:

DEF055_zps80e50a8c.jpg

Unlit result:

DEF054_zpscbb84df0.jpg

And lit result:

DEF056_zpsa04af42b.jpg

DEF057_zps61d795ff.jpg

Have secured the small disc inserts I cut out using Kystal Klear - will upload a lit pic once this cures:

DEF058_zps0995e0c6.jpg

Cheers!
  • Like 1

Wow

Looks complicated, i have always been afraid of tackling such a lighting job

But you have inspired me

keep posting i am enjoying this thread !!

Nice work again!

Keep the updates coming :)

I made my own thread today to get the build project up to speed here. I'm still working on the electronics, but it should be finished soon.

Wow

Looks complicated, i have always been afraid of tackling such a lighting job

But you have inspired me

keep posting i am enjoying this thread !!

It's really not that hard (otherwise I wouldn't be tackling it myself!) and you learn as you go along - learnt many things from my E build that I've taken forward.

If you can solder wires, you're pretty much set - the rest is just modelling skills!

So here's another quick update. Finished off the upper hull lighting - couple of pics for your viewing pleasure:
DEF059_zps0e13ac05.jpg
DEF060_zpsc17b65d1.jpg
Next, I'll be finishing off the lighting and initial construction of the battle head...watch this space!
Cheers!
  • Like 1

Hey guys!

So as I've just about finished the main build, my thoughts have turned to the base.

Inspired by some excellent bases on other forums, I'm going to try and make mine look a bit better than my E's. I would greatly appreciate any advice pointers as to my plan for this:

1. I will make a wooden base - this will be a specific size.

2. I have ordered two pieces of clear acrylic.

3. I have created the following using GIMP and (believe it or not) MS Word:

DEFBASE001_zps188dc431.png

4. I plan to print this off on a printer-friendly transparent sheet on a home printer, give it a coat of spray matt varnish, let it dry, then...

5. ...sandwich it between the two acrylic sheets, and backlight the base, using a white or blue (not decided yet!) LED strip.

Thinking this should work OK - any thoughts??

Cheers!

Just a personal thought, I never liked the top left "icon" of the Defiant in cartoon style.

I had a nice plan for a base, seeing from other builds.

http://www.laserfirecreations.com/stands.html

But he stopped (for now) according to the main page on his website.

I have no idea what to make for myself now.

Your idea sounds great, curious how it will turn out! :)

Just a personal thought, I never liked the top left "icon" of the Defiant in cartoon style.

I had a nice plan for a base, seeing from other builds.

http://www.laserfirecreations.com/stands.html

Guess it's a question of personal preference but I quite like the cartoon logo :)

It is a shame about laserfire as I would certainly contacted them - on the plus side, it means I have to improvise and give other things a go!

The guy I used to buy my flasher circuits from has also stopped selling them so I may have to go back to basics and dig out my supply of 555's....

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys - quick update.

Have mounted her and taped her together to give her a wee light test. Here's some pics of the result:

DEF061800x588_zpsc4d114c0.jpg

DEF062800x370_zps4e183d4a.jpg

DEF063800x506_zpse26c106a.jpg

DEF064800x600_zps5f4cfac5.jpg

DEF065800x561_zpsbeb99b93.jpg

I'll post some clips later showing the strobes/pulse cannons & torp launchers - next I'll need to fill in all the gaps...
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

It's been a looooooooonggg time, but I have eventually finished this lady.

I have a video to post but I'm not sure if I can - reason is that I mention another modeller forum (USA) in the credits.... So don't want to annoy the mods unless I can get their agreement?

Edited by Quarky