"Tough little ship" - The USS Defiant

Hey guys - have started my new project - decided to dig the Defiant out of the stash and give her a go. Main reason I chose here is that I don't have to drill out as many piggin' widows as my previously built 'E' and I really like this 'fighter jet' of the federation.

This model will be a completely different challenge to me due to its notorious gap issues so I'm looking forward to learning as I go along on that particular front and hope to get some help and tips here!

Due to these gap issues, I intend to construct her, fill all the gaps then leave all the painting and finishing to the very end - is this a good idea? I think, with proper masking, I'll be able to do this quite easily but if anyone has a better idea, please let me know!!

On to some pics - oh and of course, I intend to light this model btw :wicked:

DEF001800x600.jpg

Snap together?!? :rofl:

I ordered the lighting parts from Don's light and magic - quick pic of these - look good:

DEF004800x433.jpg

First started to drill out the circular bits at the top - aka the plasma vents. To do this, all I did was file down the 'bumps' inside of the model so that it ended up really thing and just popped them out, with the help of a craft knife if they got a bit stubborn. I did the same for the rectangular shape at the back - aka umbilical connect ports:

DEF002800x600.jpg

Here are the resulting discs - that need the centre drilled out and filed/sanded:

DEF003800x525.jpg

The plan with these is to fix some clear plastic to the inside of the model then glue them back in place. I'll then provide some blue lighting for this. Sprayed the inside a couple of coats of matt black (no need to do another reflective coat with this model).

Next, on to the umbilical thingys - drilling these out and filing/sanding as I go along:

DEF006800x600.jpg

Close up:

DEF005800x600.jpg

I only realised after I'd started that I didn't have to drill out the thin struts, but hey-ho, too late now!

That's all for now - have a couple of weeks off over Chrimbo so hope to make some good progress then...

Cheers

• Like 1

This is going to be a good one. I made one a very long time ago (which i made an bottom of) and i remember the fit being absolutely atrocious. Im actually aiming to dig her out, pull her apart and renovate her like im going to do with my old Reliant too. Looking good so far, ive always been a fan of constructing first, especially with lighting. Let me know if you need any help :D

With my best Worf accent on...'Little?'

Love this ship.

Lighting it fully I hope?

You do remember how to fire phasers...?

Hell yes - Full lighting will be happening... Including some that I've seen in clips from DS9 but not on any singular builds (so far).

May also have a surprise or two up my sleeve....

This is going to be a good one. I made one a very long time ago (which i made an bottom of) and i remember the fit being absolutely atrocious. Im actually aiming to dig her out, pull her apart and renovate her like im going to do with my old Reliant too. Looking good so far, ive always been a fan of constructing first, especially with lighting. Let me know if you need any help :D

Cheers mate... I'll be ordering two sets of decals... Just in case... Lol

Tough and nice little ship ! I've loved the Defiant ever since I first saw "The Search, Part I". It has that purposeful look to it that means you never mistake this thing for anything other than a warship. Built the AMT version a long long time ago in a galax... wrong franchise... sorry. Don't remember a drama of gap issues although some filler has gone into it. I built this when I had never heard of recessed panel lines (thus mine has raised ones) and I couldn't dream of lighting her. I'll see about getting some snapshots of my feeble attempt for your viewing pleasure.

Tough and nice little ship ! I've loved the Defiant ever since I first saw "The Search, Part I". It has that purposeful look to it that means you never mistake this thing for anything other than a warship. Built the AMT version a long long time ago in a galax... wrong franchise... sorry. Don't remember a drama of gap issues although some filler has gone into it. I built this when I had never heard of recessed panel lines (thus mine has raised ones) and I couldn't dream of lighting her. I'll see about getting some snapshots of my feeble attempt for your viewing pleasure.

Oh...recessed panel lines - should I be doing that?!

Yeah, look forward to seeing your build!

Would be a good idea mate :D

So, two questions : why and how?

Presume the how is by sanding down the raised lines then scribing lines back in, but why do this... Does it help with detailed weathering or something?

I did say I'm still learning so sorry if these are daft questions!

Its completely up to you mate If you want to do it. The studio model has the panel lines recessed so it just depends on how accurate you want it to the original. It also helps a lot with weathering, particularly washes which would look fantastic on the defiant, so you get that sort of dirty look. But like I said its entirely your choice. With panel lines its pretty much what you said, you can get tools specifically for scribing, or you can just use a knife blade and knitting needle, which for straight lines can work just as well.

Its completely up to you mate If you want to do it. The studio model has the panel lines recessed so it just depends on how accurate you want it to the original. It also helps a lot with weathering, particularly washes which would look fantastic on the defiant, so you get that sort of dirty look. But like I said its entirely your choice. With panel lines its pretty much what you said, you can get tools specifically for scribing, or you can just use a knife blade and knitting needle, which for straight lines can work just as well.

Having looked over the panel lines on the model, to be honest, although I do really like the idea, I don't think I can manage it with my limited skills...so will sadly have to say I will be proceeding without recessing the panel lines...it's a bit of a bummer as I did want to try and accurise this model as much as possible but am restricted just now my my modelling limitations...

...as if to prove the point, I started drilling out the windows on the lower hull and tried to get these square...NIGHTMARE...couldn't get them a consistent size, some were a bit squint, so reversed my thinking, filled in what I'd done, and used a 1mm round drill instead for the rest:

DEF007800x400.jpg

DEF009800x265.jpg

I'm waiting for a delivery of LEDs/flasher board etc so am hoping to start on the construction proper and lighting soon.

Cheers

• Like 1

Quick update - been working on the lights in the lower hull - here's a few pics of the build:

DEF013.jpg

DEF021.jpg

DEF022640x340.jpg

DEF017.jpg

DEF015.jpg

The way I've done this means that there is no direct light through the windows - it's all reflected off the pieces of styrene card I'v used as reflectors. Must say, it looks excellent when lit up!

I also made a small alteration to include registry lighting using a piece of styrene tube and a tiny 1.8mm LED:

DEF024640x458.jpg

DEF026640x480.jpg

DEF028640x480.jpg

Cheers

• Like 1

Ooh, that last shot is brilliant! I really like those little square-bodied LEDs, I've just squeezed one into a place I really didn't expect it to fit and they're easy to solder up, unlike surface mount.

Will

Quick update on how this build is proceeding...working on the lower hull lighting, engines lit:

DEF032_zpse1ca07f9.jpg

DEF037_zps417c5c19.jpg

Impulse engines scratch built and lit:

DEF040640x480_zps25ff3253.jpg

DEF043640x253_zps11c7ffa5.jpg

And finally, 1mm fibre optics installed for the pulse phaser cannons:

DEF038640x480_zps20a8cbfb.jpg

DEF039640x414_zpsa0965b63.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys...quick update. Finished off the lighting in the lower hull half. Used red LED strips and styrene strips as reflectors to diffuse the light through the bussard scoops. I also installed 4 yellow LEDs with 1mm FO for the pulse phaser cannons - these will be linked to a flasher board.

20130109_115417640x221.jpg

20130109_115503640x204.jpg

20130109_115533640x526.jpg

20130109_115514640x420.jpg

SO now working on the upper hull and I noticed that the model doesn't come with quantum torpedo launchers...arguably, there are three, two on each side of the top hull in where the targeting sensors are, and one below the deflector. That's what I want to go for - these will also be linked to a flasher board   :)

There is a hole in the deflector dish where I can put a 1mm FO attached to a white LED but nothing for the others so have decided to scratch build these launchers...I'll let you know how I get on in my next update   ;)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is so great what you have done so far. Any updates last few weeks?

I'm working on my own build at the moment. Will start painting soon, still devoping the electronics. I too have some suprises up my sleeve :)
your way of lighting the wndows is awesome.If it's not patented, I will use it also ;)

The Quantum torpedo's, I still not sure how to make those also. There is no real accomedation for it on the model it seems.
In pictures from the show you can see where they are suppose to come from, seeing the blue afterglow.

defiantquantumtorpedoes.jpg

Maybe with some clear epoxy and a blue led I can create the effect without damaging the models texture there.

• Like 1

This is so great what you have done so far. Any updates last few weeks?

I'm working on my own build at the moment. Will start painting soon, still devoping the electronics. I too have some suprises up my sleeve :)

your way of lighting the wndows is awesome.If it's not patented, I will use it also ;)

The Quantum torpedo's, I still not sure how to make those also. There is no real accomedation for it on the model it seems.

In pictures from the show you can see where they are suppose to come from, seeing the blue afterglow.

Maybe with some clear epoxy and a blue led I can create the effect without damaging the models texture there.

No update yet - work has been really busy so I'm away from home a lot...but I have picked this up again today having read your post!

Here's a couple of pics as to how I 'solved' the QT issue. Simply scratch built a couple of launchers from some scrap sheeting and glued these on to where I think they should go.I will thread a couple of FOs through this, link them to a white LED and flasher board. I really like your idea of drilling out, filling and back lighting these - awesome idea!

DEF045_zpsb64f2974.jpg

DEF044_zps7e603b11.jpg

As for the window lighting - that's what these forums are all about - feel free to copy/improve!

Look forward to seeing your build on the forum.

Cheers

Edited by Quarky

Another quick update. Been working on the upper hull - lighting the grids at the back.

I used a small red LED strip (just 3 LEDs) and place these in the middle of the grids. Used some clear red plastic I had lying around and glued these to the inside. Then got some styrene sheet, cut to size, painted matt white on the inside to disperse the light a bit better, and black on the outside, as a light block.

The overall effect is that this area glows red - it looks 'redder' in reality than in these pics. It is a bit too bright for my liking so I will be adding a resistor to dull it down a bit.

DEF048_zps0bdf6f3a.jpg

DEF049_zps4431904f.jpg

DEF050_zps716cce4d.jpg

I plan to use the same technique for the engine 'discs' along the upper hull with blue LED strips.

Cheers
  • Like 1

Awesome work again!

I really like the indirect light you use. I have seen many guides for lighting various models, including many Defiants. But never seen led strips and reflecting like this.

The effect looks perfect.

It will take a while before I have something usefull to post here. I will start my own build thread by then.

Problem is not my idea's, but making them reality haha. I have bought a very basic Airfix model to butcher up and make mistakes on. My Defiant is way to precious for trial and error. :)

The electronics I will use are by my own design. Once that is complete, I can start actually building it.