CA-18 Mustang

Julien

Hi Julien,

I understand that the CAC designed and manufactured moulded plywood and timber back framed seat fitted to the CA-18 was introduced by the through the Local Modification Committee on 19 April 1945. This variation, along with others, was part of the programme to incorporate as much locally sourced components as possible. I am not sure, but from memory I think this seat added some additional cost to the aircraft. The best reference for the CA-18 and all other RAAF and RNZAF Mustangs is David Muir's Southern Cross Mustangs. HTH

Cheers,

Gary

• Like 1

for no other reason than It was a local manufactured item, and actually added to the cost, it was made from moulded plywood, and fabric covered, the CA18 had the anti g suit plumbed in as well

It used USAAF pattern seat belts

CAC Mustangs used a different locally made seat and also used a different coloured primer paint, and I was advised that Humbrol 2 Emerald green is a good match for this. Red Roo models make a resin seat to the Australian pattern.

for no other reason than It was a local manufactured item, and actually added to the cost, it was made from moulded plywood, and fabric covered, the CA18 had the anti g suit plumbed in as well

Cheers, a lot like British Phantoms then!

. Red Roo models make a resin seat to the Australian pattern.

Thanks, the reason I ask is I have the RR seats to review for Britmodeller. I was struggling to find information about why they had this seat on the web. I knew you guys would know.

Thanks for your replies.

Julien

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys, I was able to get the review up for these seats and also a Red Roo CA-18 Photo recon conversion in the aircraft review section.

Will also be a couple more items coming from them for the RAAF inclined modellers.

Julien