AZmodel/Legato/Admiral WWII aircraft - comments, questions and wishes

CzechKits.com

4 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Hi to all,

Space Ranger - Short run moulds are made from let us say PUR. So, they are softer than metal ones and working pressures are lower. That is why there is less details able to be molded for instance. Also the working life is shorter (short-run...), usually not more than 5000 pieces. But we have some exceptions such as Mig-17 with more than 12 000 runs and the mould is still OK. Metal mould has practically unlimited life.

Ripon - I used it as an example, but when I looked into my references......, interesting subject. But schedule for the next months is clear now - Spifire Mk. Vc, Bf 109K, Me 262, P-36 and DH-9 family.....

If Ripon so in the second half of 2017..... not earlier. But IF.....

Looking forward the the Spit VC

• Like 1

I second about the Spitfire Mk.XII. I'm tired of waiting for Airfix to downscale their 1/48th scale kit to 1/72nd scale, and your Spitfires look very nice indeed.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Jan Polc said:

We were thinking about Spit XII, we can do it, but not early. Mix of parts Vc and the new fuselage is not possible.

Please do a Spitfire MkXII, I doubt anyone else will.

• Like 3

Xtrakit?  I'm sure I have such a Spit XII in my collection, and not from that long ago.  Whereas the Aeroclub fuselage conversion is long gone, the Brigade one is still around.  Plus you could use Ventura Seafire XV  which I think is still around - Jay Model?  I think Jan is right to hesitate at the moment.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Abakan said:

There are rumors on a german modellers site that KP did cancel the Me262/C92. I just hope that's BS.

Well, what with Airfix just announcing a new 1/72 Me 262, others may be superfluous.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/the-2017-announcements-begin/

1 minute ago, Space Ranger said:

Well, what with Airfix just announcing a new 1/72 Me 262, others may be superfluous.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/the-2017-announcements-begin/

And? Hasegawa has a very nice one out for 2 decades, Revell has a great one ( minus the canopy ), Academy has one out for years. Why should the airfix 262 make any difference to AZ/KPM?

Airfix, Hasegawa, Academy, Revell, Finemolds, Italeri, Heller...they all have a Bf109G, why did AZ bring out theirs? Should be superfluous as well. Yet I got over 50 of theirs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Xtrakit?  I'm sure I have such a Spit XII in my collection, and not from that long ago.  Whereas the Aeroclub fuselage conversion is long gone, the Brigade one is still around.  Plus you could use Ventura Seafire XV  which I think is still around - Jay Model?  I think Jan is right to hesitate at the moment.

I would second that Graham. Surely it must be possible now to make every Spitfire type ever produced, from decent kits by respected producers. I love a Spitfire as much as anyone, but surely it's been done to death now.

Surely small scale producers of limited run kits would do better to concentrate on aircraft that have not been done already by half a dozen different manufacturers?

4 minutes ago, Abakan said:

There are rumors on a german modellers site that KP did cancel the Me262/C92. I just hope that's BS.

Do we really need another Me262? I have a few Revell/Hasegawa kits and they're perfectly acceptable.

I do not have a Sopwith Cuckoo though, or a Fairey IIIF, or even a Baffin or Rippon, or a Gordon or a Seal. Well, ok I have some old vac-forms, but you get my point. These may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I guess that is the 'rub' for the maker of short run kits.

By the way, who remembers the Pavla Supermarine S.6a/6b? wasn't that supposed to be the first in a series of racers? I would love a couple of Curtis R2C/3C and Macchi M39/52 Schnieder Trophy racers. now that would be sweet. :wub:

8 minutes ago, Smudge said:

I would second that Graham. Surely it must be possible now to make every Spitfire type ever produced, from decent kits by respected producers. I love a Spitfire as much as anyone, but surely it's been done to death now.

Surely small scale producers of limited run kits would do better to concentrate on aircraft that have not been done already by half a dozen different manufacturers?

Do we really need another Me262? I have a few Revell/Hasegawa kits and they're perfectly acceptable.

I do not have a Sopwith Cuckoo though, or a Fairey IIIF, or even a Baffin or Rippon, or a Gordon or a Seal. Well, ok I have some old vac-forms, but you get my point. These may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I guess that is the 'rub' for the maker of short run kits.

By the way, who remembers the Pavla Supermarine S.6a/6b? wasn't that supposed to be the first in a series of racers? I would love a couple of Curtis R2C/3C and Macchi M39/52 Schnieder Trophy racers. now that would be sweet. :wub:

It's not ike AZ/KPM cant sell 10'000's of Me262

Now, how many Cuckoo, Baffins, Rippon, Gordon or Seals will they be able to sell? 1'000 total?

Guess there's your answer why a Me 262 :)

19 minutes ago, Smudge said:

No, I'm afraid not.   Small kit manufacturers, like their larger brethren, have to produce kits that will sell, and Spitfires/Bf109s/Me262s/P-51s sell.  I wasn't suggesting that KP shouldn't make a Spitfire Mk.XII, just that it wasn't as unavailable as Beard suggested, and that perhaps the time wasn't ripe.  I'd make a wider point, that those kits produced by many manufacturers come to dominate the market, to the extent that the unproduced types become obscure, which few know about and fewer will buy.   As time goes on, those familiar with the others become rarer.  Yes (to pinch from another thread) the Walrus is an obscure type.  This is a vicious circle, but companies who don't produce what people want will die.  

But the smaller production runs of these companies do crack that circle a little.  The key problem becomes identifying which lesser types have, or can have, enough attraction for enough buyers.  Of the ones you name, there's the statement from Jan that the Finnish market is strong, so perhaps a Ripon might be considered.  It does, after all, creep into that important WW2 period.  The Cuckoo was in important type in the development of military aviation, but saw no action and can have little appeal beyond those who care about such things.  Most modellers don't.  The other types have even narrower appeal.  No more so than their Japanese equivalents, or French, or US interwar carrier aircraft.  I notice that you don't mention any of these, despite their undoubted worth.  They all have their fans...but not many.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

Hi Akaban,

Yes, I totally get that. As I said, that is the 'rub' (meaning problem or dilemma). Ok they will probably sell quite a few, probably not 10,000's though.

I was just making a point that why would a small scale manufacturer of limited run kits (1000's) want to compete against major manufacturers who pump out 100,000's of Spitfires/Me109/P-51 all day long, and have done for years.

For example, if they do produce a Me.262 I doubt if I would buy it. The Revell kit is ok for me, cheaper, more crisply moulded and better fitting parts.

Graham,

I just noted a few types that interest me, off the top of my head, I could go on (and on). I would welcome some more obscure types from foreign climes, I have a few already!

I think the point I am making is that to me, whatever the market forces at play, it is a shame that small scale producers that initially set up and provided some diverse and interesting subjects, now seem to be turning their attention to more mainstream subjects. I just feel that it is a bit of a loss to the hobby.

I shall now go and dig out my Pavla Curtiss Owl, caress the parts, and try and work out when Airfix might get round to releasing their version.

But not everyone is happy producing small beer, they want to own a brewery.  As businesses succeed they grow, and to produce kits in the quality demanded have to invest in better tools which require higher sales, which means turning to the famous subjects.  If the business doesn't grow it will eventually fail, because it will not have enough resources to survive downturns in the market, or a run of misjudgements as to which types will sell.  Or the owner/inspirer will die or just run out of enthusiasm.  (Huma?)  As the surviving successful businesses grow, new ones will move in underneath, producing more limited-run subjects at lower quality but appealing to experienced modellers who appreciate the more esoteric.  Look out for those, we're probably due a new wave.  Perhaps it will come from the much-vaunted 3D printers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abakan said:

Airfix, Hasegawa, Academy, Revell, Finemolds, Italeri, Heller...they all have a Bf109G, why did AZ bring out theirs? Should be superfluous as well. Yet I got over 50 of theirs.

You have more than 50 of the AZ Bf-109G kit? Man, I admire that kind of dedication (or should I say obsession?) - I imagine Jan and Petr must be ready to name you Customer of the Year!

John

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Xtrakit Spitfire XIIs are almost impossible to find and go for a princely sum on ebay when they do turn up. The Brigade Models conversion looks like crap. 

1 hour ago, Smudge said:

Surely it must be possible now to make every Spitfire type ever produced, from decent kits by respected producers. I love a Spitfire as much as anyone, but surely it's been done to death now.

It isn't, it hasn't, and they shouldn't.

• Like 6

The Xtrakit Spitfire mk XII came out in April 2007, nearly ten years ago and is not an easy kit to find.  I continue to be lucky in finding them but most aren't.

Brigade's conversion isn't the best and is geared to go with the absolute parcel of cack that is the Italeri mk Vb.  And it's pricey for what is merely a conversion kit.  

Convert a Ventura kit?  You mean the rough kits that are albeit accurate but so loathed for the amount of work one has to put in that they inevitably end up in a bargain bin for a quid?  Modellers these days are spolied.  They want a kit from the box and don't want to do the work.

Whilst not as clued up in the manufacturing process as Jan, I can't see how a new fuselage sprue (with prop) is so difficult to fit into the Vc mould.  Especially when AZ adds new fuselage sprues to their kits all the time - the two seat Spitfires, for example, not to mention the F14 highback and F21.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 2

Procopius, I have to admire your enthusiasm for Spitfire's. However with respect......

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 16 18 19 20 21 22 24

I think I could find a kit of most of these, and those I could not (Mk.III?) I think would be a fairly straightforward proposition utilising available conversions and parts of other decent quality kits. Spitfire marks follow a progression of engine, empenage and wing changes, as I know you are well aware, and all of these can now be found in any number of kits.

I think it is.

The other points are just my opinion, you are entitled to yours of course.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Plus you could use Ventura Seafire XV  which I think is still around - Jay Model?  

The Ventura (Jays) kit isn't an easy build, let alone conversion as I found out in the Edgar Brooks Commemorative GB. I for one think a good,( the Xtrakit one had issues apparently) Spitfire XII is long overdue, preferably of " better" short run quality at least.

Steve

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Smudge said:

… I would love a couple of Curtis R2C/3C and Macchi M39/52 Schnieder Trophy racers. now that would be sweet. :wub:

Wonderful machines with colourful liveires! Of course, the markings alternatives are rather limited, to say the least, but I would certainly buy one of each.

On a related theme, I would love to see AZ atone for past sins and make an accurate Pitts S1/S2 range in 1:48th. No livery constraints there, to put it mildly…

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smudge said:

Spitfire marks follow a progression of engine, empenage and wing changes, as I know you are well aware, and all of these can now be found in any number of kits.

So what we need, then, is a kit containing an assortment of different fuselages, engine cowlings, tail surfaces, and wings, plus all the other details (landing gears, radiators, tail hooks, canopies, etc.) from which could be built, with the help of included detailed instructions, one of ANY mark of Spitfire simply by selecting the proper parts for that variant! Decals extra.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, John Thompson said:

You have more than 50 of the AZ Bf-109G kit? Man, I admire that kind of dedication (or should I say obsession?) - I imagine Jan and Petr must be ready to name you Customer of the Year!

John

I also have around 25 Fine Mold 109s and over 40 Hasegawas ( just 72, about the same amount in 48 and 10+ in 32 ), why yes, I really like the 109

• Like 1