AZmodel/Legato/Admiral WWII aircraft - comments, questions and wishes

CzechKits.com

Just now, Jan Polc said:

Spitfire XII? Not in the plan. We think there is a lot of Spitfires on the market right now. So we will finish our I/II/V line, including Seafires coming from these and then we will interrupt with Spitfires for a while. More probable is Seafang.... Or Hurricane.

Hello Jan

Thank you for your answer but as there is currently NO good kit of the Spitfire Mk XII an aircraft that really saw actions in combat I was thinking that your company that produces a Martin Baker MB-5  a prototype that NEVER entered the production line might have been interested in producing the Spit Mk XII ..

But I am very pleased with your future Spit Mk VC ..

Patrice

• Like 2

OKAY, Spit XII is in my notes..... But, it is not  a question of how much sprues etc., there is a question, if the market can absorb it. November is the month of 2017 planning, we will see.

• Like 2

For those, who have MB-5 preordered - your free decal "Boscombe Down Special goes to the printers tommorow. Some sheets are still free, so you can preorder MB-5 to get your free bonus decal. All other can purchase it in Telford.

boscombe-down-decal-JPG.jpg

• Like 1

If there are modellers who are willing to convert Eduard and other kits into mk XIIs in lieu of an available kit, then I'm sure you'd find a ready market.  I can think of at least four members of this very forum who'd snap up several kits if they were available.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

If done correctly, you could get both variants of Spiteful and Seafang out of one set of fuselage moulds (optional lower engine cowling and rudder), and two wing moulds (scribed for Seafang folding wing and unscribed for Spiteful).

Going back to the mk XII, it wouldn't have to be a complete kit.  Just a single sprue for the fuselage halves, 4 blade prop and exhausts, tailwheel plus doors.  Everything  else is in the Vc kit that you've announced.

There isn't a mk XII available in 72nd, other than the rather pricey CMR kit.  The Xtrakit one is long gone, whilst ye olde Model News and Merlin kits were unbuildable abortions. No conversions currently available either.  You may wish to rethink the decision not to go with one, given the current gap in the market.

11 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

If there are modellers who are willing to convert Eduard and other kits into mk XIIs in lieu of an available kit, then I'm sure you'd find a ready market.  I can think of at least four members of this very forum who'd snap up several kits if they were available.

Heed this man, the Wooksta speaks much wisdom. :D

Steve.

Didn't AZ already do a Spiteful? 

It it was a nice kit AFAIK?

Yesterday I browsed AZ and realised that in the past they have been quite brave and diverse.

Beech Staggerwing, Breguet 14, Gauntlet, Lunak, Prefect, Tutor to name but a few.

I wonder; how much do modellers (in my case kit bashers) care about HQ moulds versus wide variety of subject?

It seems we force manufacturers into a narrow range of (the same) relatively 'safe' profitable subjects, if we criticise short-run too much.

I like to buy more unusual subjects like those mentioned above, and the MB-5. Surely not alone on this; or are more Spitfires and 109's at higher and higher quality more important to us than broad diversity?

Just thinking out loud :) 

:coat: 

T

6 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Didn't AZ already do a Spiteful? 

It it was a nice kit AFAIK?

They did and it wasn't a particularly good kit.  It looked to be a copy of the CMR kit but was way too weeny and undernourished.  Fit was poor, the interior fictional and the u/c completely wrong.  In short, it just didn't look right.  The Seafang was much better, although it also had a few issues.

In addition, it was done with AZ's older technology.  Done correctly, with the newer HQT moulding, with the suggestions from me earlier, you'd have a far better Spiteful kit with further options available largely out of the same box. 

Beech Staggerwing, Breguet 14, Gauntlet, Lunak, Prefect, Tutor to name but a few.

Well, let me react - Stagerwing was the kit done by Sword, there is no chance for reedition. Buy if you meet somewhere., But we will try to arrange it.  Bre 14, Gauntlet, Lunak are the kits still or again in our offer. Tutor is coming with the new camo schemes very early as a reedition. 

There was mentioned that our Spiteful was a copy of CMR. No, it was not a copy. We bought master model from CMR, so it was not a copy. It was kit based on the same master, but not copied.

To the "new HQT" versus short run - I fully understand the wish of modelers - do it in HQT or CAD/CAM, in the best quality. But we have to look at finance balance at first. HQT or CAD are the technologies of let us say 3 - 4x higher costs. That is why we can not do for instance MB-5 in HQT. We improved short runs to the higher level, changed mould maker etc. I think that our short run kits of today can be built into very nice result. I agree, that we feel press from the side of customers to do HQT/CAD. We do, but mainstreams only. Short run moulds can not produce tens of thousands runs. (Bf 109 - we sold cca 3x more pieces than Messerschmitt produced during the war, counting all variants). But we also feel the need of variety on the market. So, you can expect two lines of the kits in our range - short runs for "specialities", i. e. Percival Vega Gull (just example.... :-) ) and mainstream types like Schwalbe in HQT/CAD. (again, just example).

• Like 6

Let me think, which significant WW2 single engined prop driven combat plane lacks a good kit, better yet, lacks a kit at all?

Yak-9! This must have come from the bushes, didn´t it, Jan? I´m sure you´ll do us good, one day. Please? Regards, V-P

• Like 2

Sorry, but we do not feel the potential of this plane. Soviet war planes are not good seller. There is a chance, if you will buy 500 and John Thompson another 500pcs...... :-)

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, Jan Polc said:

There is a chance, if you will buy 500 and John Thompson another 500pcs...... :-)

:wow:

This, dear fellow Britmodellers, is what it looks like when a company really knows its customer base! Can´t see this happening with any other model kit manufacturer! Best regards, V-P   

• Like 4

V-P: Yes, it is true, that I know many of you, some from actions, others from Britmodeller and many of you through friendship on Facebook. But, telling true, Yak-9 is easy, because in our database are only two modelers with such a wish - you and John... :-)

• Like 3

Dear Jan,

by looking at the photos of master parts, let me ask you if there is any chance that in the final product propeller blades could be separeted from the hub?

That is one thing that looks sooo much better if not done in one piece.

• Like 1

No, propellers will be as you see. We were discussing it in the company and agreed, that complete contraprop with six blades in correct position is not easy task. This our solution is more user friendly. Other aspect is the fact of sprue space. We have to live with this, sorry.

• Like 4

No, I didn't mean each blade separetely, but the entire propeller as one part and the hub as the other. That would be 2 propellers and 2 hubs plus pin or whichever method you choose for alignement and mounting.

That wouldn't be complicated. The solution you chose is step back detail and accuracywise.

Edited by MarkoZG

Dear Marco - there are not only the facts of accuracy, but also the technology of mouldings, Your suggestions I fully understand, the question of negative angles and other limitations say do it like we did. 

10 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Sorry, but we do not feel the potential of this plane. Soviet war planes are not good seller. There is a chance, if you will buy 500 and John Thompson another 500pcs...... :-)

:wall:

John

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

But, telling true, Yak-9 is easy, because in our database are only two modelers with such a wish - you and John... :-)

You should have three modellers in your database - I believe I asked for the Yak-9 previously in this thread. I'd go look for my post, but this is a really long thread!  :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

One thing that's always bothered me about so-called "short-run" moldings: Why no tabs on wings/tailplanes and corresponding fuselage slots for mounting them, like mainstream large production run kits? Surely it can't be too hard to do, even on short run kits. I see the MB.5 lacks these as well.

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

You should have three modellers in your database - I believe I asked for the Yak-9 previously in this thread. I'd go look for my post, but this is a really long thread!  :)

Cheers,

Bill

This thread is on page 49 :o !

Are we due to be shut down, or is this the 'Lego corner' where all the most troublesome ones (including me) are tolerated?

With all the stress we give him, it's no surprise Jan has always got a cigarette on the go ;)  :fool: !

Here is a random aircraft suggestion for short run.

RAF, RCAF, SAAF, interwar record breaker, Iceland, Spain, South Africa, Australia, China, Estonia, more.

Not a huge number made; but very interesting variety of subjects:

Avro Avian.

Theres one just down the road from me, I assure you, they are very pretty aircraft :) 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Avian

Best regards

TonyT

PS: I like the look of the MB-5 :thumbsup2: .

Hi Jan,

as we have been talking about short run and HQ kits could I ask you what decides into which category a particular subject falls, ie. when you estimate how many of a particular subject you think you can sell what is the figure that moves it from limited run to main production, hope that makes sense,

cheers,

spad