AZmodel/Legato/Admiral WWII aircraft - comments, questions and wishes

CzechKits.com

Another one is the AT-10 Wichita. Over 2000 built and the key trainer for anyone who flew multi-engine bombers (B-17, B-24, B-26, 25, A-26) in the United States in WW-II. One Vacuform from 30 years ago and that's it. 

You are absolutely right, although it's not an easy task to call the AT-10 a "light aviation and liaison" type :) There are several other twins sought by many modellers all over the world, just to name the Warwick (40% parts commonality with Wellington) and the Ilyushin 12/14 (not exactly a WW2 type, but heavily rooted there). Not to mention the already neglected popular (>1000 built) single-engined trainers like the WW2 Heinkel 72 Kadett and Caudron 59 as well as the postwar Nanchang CJ-6 and Pilatus PC-9/T-6/PC-21 family.

You are absolutely right, although it's not an easy task to call the AT-10 a "light aviation and liaison" type :) There are several other twins sought by many modellers all over the world, just to name the Warwick (40% parts commonality with Wellington) and the Ilyushin 12/14 (not exactly a WW2 type, but heavily rooted there). Not to mention the already neglected popular (>1000 built) single-engined trainers like the WW2 Heinkel 72 Kadett and Caudron 59 as well as the postwar Nanchang CJ-6 and Pilatus PC-9/T-6/PC-21 family.

sorry I should have made that clear... I was more referring to it as an very commonly used aircraft that was really integral to the war effort, yet has never been kitted... anywhere. Unfortunately I suspect we might be waiting for quite some time for another one. 

I would have built both an L-3 and a AT-10 for this series of builds. Unfortunately I couldn't even a single copy of the vacuform for the AT-10 and modifying light observation aircraft to resemble the L-3 was nearly impossible. 

Edited by -Neu-

List of our new products will debut at the fair in Nuremberg.

Now we at least I write here which models we complete at the end of January. It fourteen news:

AZ7219 ... P-26 Hawaii (NSR)

AZ7218 ... P-26Pre War (NSR)

AZ7220 ... P-26 International (China, Guatemala, Philippines) (NSR)

AZ7413 ... Spitfire Mk.IX Czechoslovak service (HQT)

AZ7414 ... Bücker 181/Z-381 Czechoslovak service (SR)

AZ7410 ... P-40E Over U.S. (SR)

AZ7411.... Gotha P-60C1 (NSR)

AZ7412.... Gotha P-60C2 N.F. (NSR)

AZ4863 .... Firefly FR.1 w / PUR Aires full interior (SR)

AZ4864 .... Firefly TT.1 w / PUR Aires full interior (SR)

AZ7368 .... DH-82A Tiger Moth RAF (HQT)

AZ7408 .... DH-82A Tiger Moth RAAF (HQT)

AZ7415 .... DH-82A Tiger Moth Over Spain (HQT)

AZ7409 .... DH-82A Tiger Moth Fin, SWE, NOR. (HQT)

In the next week everything including thumbnails for images and camo at our distributors worldwide

in the UK (Hannants). The sale of these models will be in late January or early February.

We hope you enjoy some of our models to please.

Very best regards

Seriously looking forward to a new P-26 contender, Sir.

At the risk of looking like a ripe charlie, what do the NR, SR, and HQT initials stand for?

Typical, go to all sorts of trouble to get an MPM Mohawk & the Airwaves nose conversion & someone brings a new kit out. :(

While I'll be keen to hear others impressions of it when it comes out, it strikes me a couple of things in the camo schemes might be a bit dodgy. The roundels on plane No 2 seem to me to be the wrong type for a June 1941 date, likewise No3 seems to have the wrong ones for an October 1942 date, BUT if you reversed the captions for Nos 2 & 3 you'd be much closer though I'd still be doubtful on the uppperwing roundels on BJ442, though it could be an error interpreting the newish directions.

Steve.

Captions 2 and 3 seem to be reversed against the profiles. Profile 2 is the 155 Sqn example but the yellow tips should extend inboard as a strip on the leading edge.

The dodgiest aspect is the under surface colour being cited - and shown - as "Aircraft grey" especially as the subject of Profile 1 was painted and described by Ron Belling - Sky or SAAF Sky Blue! And I'd need to check but the upper wing roundels for 2 probably ought to be the original red/blue 'B' type 48 in. 155 also painted the 'bullet' on the front of the prop in flight colours.

If I recall correctly from reading Mohawks over Burma, BJ442(and others) had the C type roundel modified by having the red painted over as anything with a red dot in that theatre would be shot at being assumed it was Japanese!! The top wing would have been a straight B type modded by painting the red over with white!! Also why are the under wing roundel missing? The yellow tips are right however. Painted on as an additional maesure to sow it wasa friendly.

One other thing. Some of the Mohawks ober Burma/Indis were also finished in green ocean grey with the A1 roundels. The above book is also one of the bettere references for these aircraft in action in the CBI.

Edited by Paul J

If I recall correctly from reading Mohawks over Burma, BJ442(and others) had the C type roundel modified by having the red painted over as anything with a red dot in that theatre would be shot at being assumed it was Japanese!! The top wing would have been a straight B type modded by painting the red over with white!! Also why are the under wing roundel missing? The yellow tips are right however. Painted on as an additional maesure to sow it wasa friendly.

One other thing. Some of the Mohawks ober Burma/Indis were also finished in green ocean grey with the A1 roundels. The above book is also one of the bettere references for these aircraft in action in the CBI.

Check the book again! The markings were evolutionary and modified over time. BJ442 had A and A1 converted to C and C1 but with incorrectly sized white segments. The 'B' upper surface were used for quite some time during 42/43 before being modified. The 'Y' was under the cockpit with a cartoon gnome "Horace" painted on the cowling. It was usually flown by Dennis Winton and there is a photo of it in the book. I haven't checked whether Stone flew it later with changed markings.

I seriously doubt that any operational Mohawks in 5 or 155 Sqn had Ocean Grey on the upper surfaces.

I DID say..." If I recall...."!! I realise and am aware of the changes made gradually. And I wasn't just referring to BJ442 but using it as an example. But I think the proposed box art showing C types roundels on the upper wing is not right and in particular to the Mohawk. Also, FROM Memory, the yellow sometimes, maybe on a few aircraft, extended part way along the leading edge of the wings and back to somewhere near the forward main spar line.

Hope this helps clear up some confusion.

IMG_2840.jpg

This is my conversion I did yonks ago using the Arwaves resin nose and Monogram kit. OK, Ok , It may not be bang on but It was done after being inspired and reading the book

Edited by Paul J

Thanks Paul. If you re-read my first comment you will see that I had already mentioned the extended yellow leading edges!

Very nice model! How did you secure the resin nose to the kit parts?

OH yeah! I missed that bit about the yellow. Sorry Nick.

Re the resin nose, I really don't recall but it must have been cyano as I have never used the 5 minute stuff. Its still together after all these years! Humbrol paint and decals from my stack of generic sets and spares.

I was reading this thinking "I've got one of those waiting" - if on a Heller fuselage because that kit cowling was pretty awful anyway. However, I have superglued the Airwaves P-40F onto an Airfix kit, which is a close parallel. It has lasted well enough, despite requiring quite a lot of work reshaping the mating parts to commonality. I'm afraid I don't recall the brand of superglue I used.

Thanks. The resin nose is rather heavy and my attempts at fixing it to the kit parts have not been secure - I wondered if you had keyed it with anything? Maybe it was the glue I used!

A bit of a memory jerk. I think I may have drilled a few holes into the back of the resin and then glue in some rods from which I don't know, and then stuck it in to the opening of the cut down fuselage. I think you know what I mean by this method.

Edited by Paul J

Maybe I'm being a bit thick here, but do you face the rods off so you have some plastic to plastic to stick to the insides of the fuselage halves? :unsure:

With these coming out, it'd be nice if someone would produce a resin conversion for a P&W engined version, I couldn't face the rivets on the Smer one & the SH one is a bit spendy imho, & probably unobtainium now.

Steve

Starting to look good for light aviation and military liaison types. But I'd like to see an extension to the Auster family like the J/5 Autocar (the one with the "fatter" fuslage),.

Similarly, the Piper Cub Coupe (J4) would be nice, enable me to build some of the impressed RAF examples!