AZmodel/Legato/Admiral WWII aircraft - comments, questions and wishes

CzechKits.com

Chipmunk? I'm afraid to say, that Miles Master, Cessna Crane, Ki-61-1Tei, Arado 96 and L-29 Delfin were announced actually almost TWO years ago...

Perhaps they are all in that lost world of model kits where the distributers/retailers took one look and yawned? It seems - I've no direct knowledge but it surely looks this way - that AZ are willing to "float" suggestions of what they might do and then proceed only if they get sufficient interest. There's quite a long list of kits that have been mentioned: promised is perhaps a little strong, at least in most cases. Who knows, maybe they've just slipped a little down the priorities and are still on the way. Perhaps there is still hope for that Demon in 607 sq markings that was mentioned to me, more than two years ago...

It could simply be, of course, that AZ has been overwhelmed by the interest in and sales of their Spitfires and Bf109s, and just haven't had the spare time for much else. When they've passed through we will see all these wonders. Just don't stay awake waiting for them.

• Like 2

Reminds me of "Beltway bandits" here in the DC area. Willing to do anything, solve any problem, etc; float an idea and if it sticks they'll market/lobby it heavily as the latest solution to the Nation's evils. If pushed aside it is lost forever (or at least until the next administration).

We (I certainly) may not appreciate how cottage-like AZ may really be. Great growth aspirations but insufficient capacity or capital to support it. Lots of "desirements" but only able to do what is absolutely required...that which ensures revenue and a solid financial foundation. I've observed the quality going up over the years such they nearly corner the market on certain subjects, so long as they don't make the fatal flaws we modelers detest. Even then the kits seem to sell well enough.

I too hope they continue to make/sell what creates solid revenue for the occasional "wowser" kit that the masses may yawn at, but us modelers fawn over.

Tim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Excellent news to see that KP (AZ) are soon releasing La-5 (LaG-5) and Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop !!

I'm looking very forward to see that La-5.

Sorry if this is on wrong topic but KP is with AZ.

Good morning

I may be wrong but when Kp announced their Mustang familly (2 years ago ?) I recall reading that they where also working on a P 51D-5 model , I would like to know if someone can confirm that .

Thank you

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

I would like to see some more Hurricane (in 1/72) variants as at present, there is no nice metal wing Mk I in production and that could lead to a Mk I Trop as well. There is no nice Mk IIa (although it's any easy conversion from a Mk IIb) or MK II PR. So there's a few options there!

Good morning

I may be wrong but when Kp announced their Mustang familly (2 years ago ?) I recall reading that they where also working on a P 51D-5 model , I would like to know if someone can confirm that .

Thank you

Patrice

If you can't wait, Loon Models did a D-5 fuselage for the Tamiya kit, I know as I've got one, it looks good but the test will be in the building of it.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

I would like to see some more Hurricane (in 1/72) variants as at present, there is no nice metal wing Mk I in production and that could lead to a Mk I Trop as well. There is no nice Mk IIa (although it's any easy conversion from a Mk IIb) or MK II PR. So there's a few options there!

If you can't wait, Loon Models did a D-5 fuselage for the Tamiya kit, I know as I've got one, it looks good but the test will be in the building of it.

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

Regarding the Hurricane Mk 1 metal wing maybe you missed this info

http://www.hyperscale.com/2016/reviews/accessories/alleycathurricanemetalwing72preview_1.htm

And about the D-5 Pavla made a conversion set

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PAVU72027

I've used this one to build an Airfix Mustang ..

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

Hi Mike

Regarding the Hurricane Mk 1 metal wing maybe you missed this info

http://www.hyperscale.com/2016/reviews/accessories/alleycathurricanemetalwing72preview_1.htm

And about the D-5 Pavla made a conversion set

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PAVU72027

I've used this one to build an Airfix Mustang ..

Patrice

Hi Patrice

I didn't miss it but seeing but as I've found unbuilt Hasegawa Hurricane Mk I's for less than £10, I'm not going to buy £10 conversion sets for £7 models, even if they are good! If AZ did a metal wing Mk I as good as their 109's, I'd be quite happy with that, don't forget if AZ did make it, you would see more options than from Airfix.

The Loon Models set is an entire fuselage to replace the fuselage of the Tamiya kit and doesn't require any modification to the kit parts, unlike the Pavla set which requires you to cut the tail off the kit. I can't see the point in sawing the back end off a kit when I got a replacement fuselage which is far easier and cost me less!

thanks

Mike

No you don't, because trimming away a small fin doesn't take any significant skill at all - certainly less so than fitting a conversion or cutting a tail off for a separate part. All it needs is a sharp knife and not rushing it. Quicker, cheaper and easier.

PS What have you got to lose? If you did somehow slip and mess it up (most unlikely) that'd only leave you with buying the conversion/fuselage anyway.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

I would like a Metal winged Hurricane Mk.I and a series of Mk.II`s would be great too,.....starting with the Mk.IIb please,......just think of all the schemes,.....from Malta to Singapore and UK to Russia,.....with most places in between!

Cheers

Tony

No you don't, because trimming away a small fin doesn't take any significant skill at all - certainly less so than fitting a conversion or cutting a tail off for a separate part. All it needs is a sharp knife and not rushing it. Quicker, cheaper and easier.

PS What have you got to lose? If you did somehow slip and mess it up (most unlikely) that'd only leave you with buying the conversion/fuselage anyway.

But I have the Loon models fuselage already and it only cost £3 and only 1 set of decals to go with it, so I've no need for cutting etc.

thanks

Mike

In the last couple weeks I got a metric ton of the AZ Bf109Gs ( and 2 KPM S-199s )

I just wonder if the G12 will ever show up on Ebay as I really would love a few of them.

They are great little kits btw. I just hope they will fall together as nicely as the kit looks.

AZ have re-released the Breguet 14. I have to admire a company brave enough to release an injection Moulded Breguet 14, it's a beautiful aircraft with many livery options. In the past I had spent too much on resin models of the kit. I know it's Britmodeller and such aircraft are probably closer to the hearts of French modellers, but Poland, Czechoslovakia, Croatia, Greece, Russia, Bolivia, Spain these are all countries in the Eurovision.... Sorry, no, what I meant to say is that these are all countries that used another Breguet aircraft, the Breguet 19.

It's a beautiful bird and if kitted by AZ could be engineered to take into account the many different motor/cowl versions and A and B configurations at the very least. The after market potential would be superb, from guns and spoked wheels to conversions to make ambulance, transport or record attempt variants.

Go on AZ, you know it makes sense :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

(...) these are all countries that used another Breguet aircraft, the Breguet 19.

It's a beautiful bird and if kitted by AZ could be engineered to take into account the many different motor/cowl versions and A and B configurations at the very least. The after market potential would be superb, from guns and spoked wheels to conversions to make ambulance, transport or record attempt variants.

Go on AZ, you know it makes sense :)

Best regards

Tony

Absolutely right! During the whole iterwar (1920-39) period there were just four single-engined two-seater recce/bomber biplanes built in series longer than 2000 a/c. This "great four" consisted of the British Hawker Hart/Audax family, Russian Polikarpov R-5 and two French designs - namely the Potez XXV/XXVII and Breguet XIX. Yes - nothing came (in such scale) from Japan, Italy, Germany and even from the USA.

Contrary to the Hawkers (extensively kitted in 72nd scale for last 50 years at least by Airfix, Amodel and AZ) and Polikarpovs (two poor East European kits exist too), the Potez 25 has been issued (injection 1/72) only by Merlin and the Polish HitKit with Bre 19 being replicated only by the same Polish company. Frankly speaking although both HitKit tools are very crude their prices at the auctions (both are unavailable in shops for at least 15 years) soar very high - not everyone is fond of vacuum-formed or resin-cast kits.

So we, the modellers (or just kit collectors), do really need the new tool 1/72 injected Bre XIX (and Potez 25 too) kit.

Messrs AZ, Sword, CMK, Valom - do you hear this voice?

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 2

Yes! Indeed - this is the high time for injection models of Breguet XIX and Potez 25 with all variants - and they are really plenty of them including long-range variants preserved in Le Bourget or Cuatro Vientos museums. I am pretty sure that the company will have a real market success with them. Besiades the silver wings era lovers from many countries those kits will buy moddelers doing machines from Spanish Civil War and WWII since many countries were still using even in fourties - moreover modellers who collect machines important due to breaking records, long range flights etc...So the potential market is wide.

It can be followed by a lot of further possibilities like conversion of Potez 25 to Potez 29, for example...

What is a problem, then?

Hoping to see those models soon on a market

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

I have to agree chaps. I didn't want to labour the point as I've mentioned it before in this thread, but the Potez 25 is just a ridiculous omission in injection moulded aircraft, in any scale. I have the Hit-Kit. It is a very big fight of a kit. I also have a Merlin. In all honesty it is a little easier than the HitKit, but extremely basic and now almost impossible to find.

There is no need for this struggle for we modellers. As you have both said, this was an aircraft produced in enormous numbers, for a wide range of international customers and even in WWII was used in Indochina.
I wish I had the money, I would tool it myself, the profits would be very nice :winkgrin:.

MPM/Special Hobby/Frrom came very close to a model of the Potez 25 with their IAR 37 and IAR 38. Close but no cigar (but nice kits).
Good to see other modellers would like these two very historically important aircraft, the Breguet 19 and Potez 25. Let us not forget they are quite attractive kites too :) ! AZ would be a very nice company to do this; fine quality.

Best regards
Tony

• Like 1

Moreover - there are "great, still not present" from WWII - like, if we just go to Britts - first of all Vickers Warwick, but also Saro Lerwick or Vickers Valentia perhaps also DH Albatros and a bit smaller DH Flamingo, Blackburn Botha. So I am not sure if the size of first three is still beyond AZ interest or capability. However something smaller like Hawker Nimrod II (having in mind existance of nice resin kit of CMR and flying condition one - so no problem with dimensions) is for sure in possible range....

AZ - please thing about it

Cheers

J-W

Hi Patrice

I didn't miss it but seeing but as I've found unbuilt Hasegawa Hurricane Mk I's for less than £10, I'm not going to buy £10 conversion sets for £7 models, even if they are good! If AZ did a metal wing Mk I as good as their 109's, I'd be quite happy with that, don't forget if AZ did make it, you would see more options than from Airfix.

The Loon Models set is an entire fuselage to replace the fuselage of the Tamiya kit and doesn't require any modification to the kit parts, unlike the Pavla set which requires you to cut the tail off the kit. I can't see the point in sawing the back end off a kit when I got a replacement fuselage which is far easier and cost me less!

thanks

Mike

Good afternoon Mike

I understand your statement it is just that I already had 2 Airfix Hurricane Mk 1 boxes in my stash I was considering converting one of them into a metal wing but I am not sure of my modelling skill and when this conversion appeared a few days ago I said to myself why not try it (despite of the price ..) .

Speaking of the Loon models fuselage for the Mustang where did you found it ? I would like to try it as I have some decals sheets for D-5 Mustangs such as Urban Drew's ''Detroit Miss'' , Jack Ilfrey's ''Happy Jack Go Buggy'' , Tom Hayes' ''Frenesi'' and so on ..

Do I need to say that I am eagerly waiting for the Mustang Gb to begin :banghead:

Regards

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

Good afternoon Mike

I understand your statement it is just that I already had 2 Airfix Hurricane Mk 1 boxes in my stash I was considering converting one of them into a metal wing but I am not sure of my modelling skill and when this conversion appeared a few days ago I said to myself why not try it (despite of the price ..) .

Speaking of the Loon models fuselage for the Mustang where did you found it ? I would like to try it as I have some decals sheets for D-5 Mustangs such as Urban Drew's ''Detroit Miss'' , Jack Ilfrey's ''Happy Jack Go Buggy'' , Tom Hayes' ''Frenesi'' and so on ..

Do I need to say that I am eagerly waiting for the Mustang Gb to begin :banghead:

Regards

Patrice

I actually got it from someone on here with a Tamiya Mustang, I suspect it may no longer be in production. Maybe post on the wants section in the buying/selling part of the forum? It certainly looks good if you can get one at a sensible price. I'll be doing it as 'Ferocious Frankie' as I have the relevant decals.

There's definitely an opening in the market for a fillet less P-51 in 1/72.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1