Airfix Launch Type 45 Destroyer on Royal Navy's HMS Dauntless

Mike

Airfix Launch Type 45 Destroyer on Royal Navy's HMS Dauntless

logo.gif

13 December 2012. Airfix, the UK's number one model kit brand, (owned by Hornby Hobbies Ltd) are this week releasing their new Royal Navy Type 45 HMS Daring model. The famous model kit brand has worked with the Royal Navy to design their new product, and will be launching it this week on board the sister ship, and one of the six in the class; HMS Dauntless whilst she's in Portsmouth.

The Type 45 destroyers represent a significant increase in the air defence capability of the Royal Navy. All six magnificent warships will be in operation in 2013 and bring "stealth" technology to the Royal Navy.

handover.jpg

Image 1: Airfix's Ryan Maxwell presents their Type 45 destroyer to Commander Adrian Fryer, HMS Dauntless' Commanding Officer

HMS Daring is the first of the Navy's six £1bn Type 45 destroyers and she was the first of class to deploy. In preparation, she conducted work-ups with an American Carrier battle Group back in 2010 and gone through a series of upgrade programmes to ensure she meets the high standards required for deploying RN units. Daring is designed to create a defensive shield around a task force - and troops ashore - protecting them from air attack.

boxtop-type45.jpg

Image 2: (A50132) Airfix HMS Daring. RRP £59.99

Darrell Burge, Marketing Manager for Airfix said; "Working alongside the Royal Navy is always a great pleasure, and here with their co-operation we have created a fantastic model that will be desired by our many Airfix fans, and indeed those who are interested in anything the modern Royal Navy has in its fleet. Not only have we had the opportunity to develop a super accurate model, we've also worked closely with them to produce a superb booklet detailing the crew's duties whilst onboard."

Commander Adrian Fryer, HMS Dauntless' Commanding Officer, said: "It's really nice to have been given one of these models for Dauntless. Hopefully the models will help spread the word about the capability of our Type 45 destroyers. As a kid I used to enjoy my Airfix models so this is great. I'm looking forward to when my son grows up and can make things like this himself."

The new Airfix product is available to retailers this week, launching in stores next weekend (15/16th December). Airfix set will retail at £59.99, ages 8+ and includes 203 pieces, paints, glue and brushes. www.airfix.com.

• Like 1

Looks very nice. I only occasionally dabble in floaty things but, I'd like this. I feel that 1/600 or 1/700 is simply too small so I definitely think the scale is right..Unfortunately, I feel the price is a bit on the high side for this kit.. Certainly unaffordable (to me anyway) at nearly £60. I'm sure Airfix has done its sums right though. Compared to the likes of Hasegawa, this is positively cheap! Keep my eyes open for discounts methinks! :D

That £ 60 is for the set with paint, brushes, glue etc.

There's a £ 10 ? cheaper "normal" version.

Think the ship is on Hannants www today.

Regards,

Gerard

It does seem a lot of money but remember the HMS Illustrious kit could be found at a discounted price just a few months after release...

Thanks for the info. £50 is still a bit on the steep side for me. However, as you say, will likely appear on ebay or elsewhere soon at reduced prices. I did in fact get HMS Illustrious on ebay for about £29!! Will keep my eyes peeled!

Edited by Albeback52

As much as I want this (& I REALLY want this...), I just can't see 60quid there! ZERO PhotoEtch, Unwanted "garnish" (yeah, lets see IF they release the standard kit, coz i never saw an Illustrious without the paints & brushes...) AND poor timing for release date.

Compared to Trumpys HMS Kent from earlier this year, i think it's poor value for money. Which is a shame, because its a great subject, in the right scale.

Lets see what it costs next summer, eh?

What a bunch of curmudgeonly cynics! :rolleyes:

The kit arrived at HQ this morning, and looking inside it's a nice kit. You've got some BIG complex shaped parts, and that's never cheap to tool, plus all the other smaller parts to complete the job. The non-giftset version is £10 cheaper IIRC, and please bear in mind that's the RRP, not necessarily what you'll pay at the cashdesk, so £50 is your starting price.

yeah, lets see IF they release the standard kit, coz i never saw an Illustrious without the paints & brushes...

There are 20+ in stock with Hannants after a 2-second search. Happier? I'm guessing not by the tone of your post :S

• Like 1

Mike, I'm ALWAYS happy to see something cheaper than I was expecting.

However, I do feel that it represents poor value for money compared to other manufacturers offerings. Daring IS a larger ship, especially for a destroyer, but even £50 is a bit much, surely?

Don't get me wrong, Daring WILL be joining my (mostly unbuilt) fleet in 2013, but I WILL be shopping around for a better price that RRP!

& as for being a "curmudgeonly" cynic: We're in December: thats ALL the justification I need thanks you!! innocent.gif

Mike, I'm ALWAYS happy to see something cheaper than I was expecting.

However, I do feel that it represents poor value for money compared to other manufacturers offerings. Daring IS a larger ship, especially for a destroyer, but even £50 is a bit much, surely?

Don't get me wrong, Daring WILL be joining my (mostly unbuilt) fleet in 2013, but I WILL be shopping around for a better price that RRP!

& as for being a "curmudgeonly" cynic: We're in December: thats ALL the justification I need thanks you!! innocent.gif

Glad I'm not the only curmudgeon (lovely word that!) around here!! :lol: . It's a word my girlfriend often applies to me!! :lol: . Yes, I'll be shopping around for this - especially after getting Illustrious at a far more reasonable price. (approx £29 on fleabay). However, reservations about price aside, I hope this is a range Airfix will expand.

That's exactly what you should do in these recession bitten times... shop around. So quit moaning about the starting price! :lol:

Curmudgeon. It's a rather good word, isn't it? Opprobrium is another. :smartass:

The kit arrived at HQ this morning, and looking inside it's a nice kit.

Hi Mike, when do you expect to get the review up? Not a subject I know much about, but quite tempted to get one. Had the Dragon 1/700 kit, half the size but cost me quite a lot more than half the price of an Airfix one!

Colin

That's exactly what you should do in these recession bitten times... shop around. So quit moaning about the starting price! :lol:

Curmudgeon. It's a rather good word, isn't it? Opprobrium is another. :smartass:

If we couldn't have a good moan about prices, life would be unbearable!! :lol: . Still, look on the bright side! If Hasegawa (for example) produced a 1/350 type 45, it would probably cost about 3 times as much & then all us curmudgeonly moaners would be happy to pay £60 for the Airfix one!! :lol:

Opprobrium? Yes, I've heard THAT one launched in my direction as well!! :weep:

Hi Mike, when do you expect to get the review up? Not a subject I know much about, but quite tempted to get one. Had the Dragon 1/700 kit, half the size but cost me quite a lot more than half the price of an Airfix one!

Our shippy expert Dave is indisposed for a couple of days, but I hope to have the kit to him just after the weekend (if I get my act together and send it!), so as soon after that as he can manage. having looked though the box contents though, and seen a test shot built up, I think you'll be ok to take a punt anyway if you just can't wait ;)

I too cannot understand the price Airfix are charging for this kit, it would be justifiable with a PE fret for the railings but not without them, I say £35-40 would be a more reasonable price.

The Academy Warspite is about the same price for a much bigger model. The Trumpeter Arleigh Burke Flight 2 kits is also a larger ship, with clear plastic helicopters and enough PE to do all the ship's railings for a slightly lower RRP.

For those moaning about the initial RRP, remember that the only option for getting a 1:350 Type 45 before Airfix proposed theirs, was the White Ensign Models release, which, whilst an amazing model is £180. Then think about those people who bought one, then heard about the new IM version. Also people forget that the Type 45 is a blooming big ship, much larger than a Type 23, the moulds for this kit must be quite a size.

• Like 1

You're also not taking into account of mould or plastic price increases etc. Still if the price of this kit is all you've got to moan about then things can't be too bad. Also you have the option of not buying one, or just waiting a bit and looking for the offers that are bound to be seen soon.

You'll get some folks that would moan at a £10 price tag, so don't get drawn into the "ooh, it's too expensive" argument... It's almost as bad as a Hasegawa thread :S

Having just looked on the Airfix web site...............

The Type 45 gift set box is the same price as the Lusty gift set box.

• 3 months later...