1/48 OA-10A Thunderbolt II callsign Sandy

Today's has been a good day.. got the HUD back in after well more than an hour of fiddling about and I made the GAU-8 from Eduard PE and some more ME.

I must say I honestly think this is the best looking GAU-8 in 48th I have ever seen..

Can you tell I am proud? The best part is it came out exactly as I wanted.. I believe it's the focal point of this particular airplane/model.

Back where it belongs..

Hawg284a.jpg

Hawg284b.jpg

inside of the canopy a lot of stuff is missing..

Hawg285.jpg

Eduard supplies the PE only, but I had to thin the plastic considerably..

Hawg286.jpg

real metal 0,8mm barrels, still 1,5 mm too long here..

Hawg288.jpg

after Alclad 112 steel it basically looks like this..

Hawg289.jpg

let's talk business.. ooh yeah..

Hawg290.jpg

Hawg291.jpg

• Like 2

Another big mishap occurred.. a piece with CA glue on it flew into my canopy.. in the most forward part of the windshield. Almost impossible to get out, but after breaking off one of the instruments hanging in the windshield I got enough room to remove it.

But off course the paint was gone there too. I finally figured I could use some small flakes of black dry transfer and did so. I am not entirely happy about this at all, and I think it really stands out, but I can't make it better than it is now.

Normally you hardly see it.. but as for me..

Aaarghh..

Hawg295.jpg

drytransfer is very thin and brittle..

Hawg297.jpg

the damage on the instrumenet coaming is really really obvious in this picture.. At the arrow I drilled a 0,3 mm in the rivet..

Hawg298.jpg

to get the missing part again onto the top of the windshield..

Hawg299.jpg

Hawg300.jpg

et volia..

Hawg301.jpg

easy trick to perfectly align the mirrors..

Hawg302.jpg

ACES2 into the tub..

Hawg303.jpg

Now with the canopy on..

Hawg304.jpg

Hawg305.jpg

Hawg306.jpg

Hawg307.jpg

Altogether Sandy is done.. Final pics will follow soon, since this monster is too big to fit into my mobile photo studio..

• Like 3

I am really glad I finished this model and now have a pretty decent OA-10A.

For the final pictures look here:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234942565-148-oa-10a-thunderbolt-ii-81-fs-panthers-oaf/?p=1348298

Sid

Having seen the finished product on the other thread I came to find the build thread and I now see why it looks so good. That is some amount of effort that you have put into the model, I only wish I had your skill and could make my models look like yours!

• 1 month later...