Jay Chladek's 2012 builds (might as well catalog them)

JMChladek

I must say, for 2012 I've managed to finish more builds than in a few previous years. It also it looks like I might just add a little to my total as well at the end if I can finish up a couple quickie projects (not entirely certain that will happen though).

For starters, in January, I managed to finish this beasie, a studio scale replica of the USS Constellation from the classic Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine" by utilizing an original style early long box 18" AMT Enterprise model kit (same as the Aurora offering in the UK at the time). This kit has a few subtle differences from the later pressings in details and features. I made sure to tweak things a little bit though as I used a more up to date set of markings to decorate it. It is "studio scale" because the original model used in the episode was a brand new AMT kit and I tried my best to replicate the original damage as seen on that model.

connie8.jpg

Next up was a build of Airfix's brand new and excellent 1/72 Folland Gnat done up in the markings of Topper Harley's jet from the classic Top Gun comedy spoof "Hot Shots!".

fingnat1.jpg

After that came a 13 hour one day marathon build of Revell's very old D-558-II Skyrocket kit. The parts count was low and surface features were few, but I did my best to finish it to a high standard by filing the seams and giving it a first class paint job. It may not be perfect, but it is another model for my shelf. It was actually a lot of fun to do as well all things considered as it fit together better than some more recently designed kits I've built.

skyrocket1_zpsd9b0f58a.jpg

The last one I finished to date is the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk I, done up in pre-war 1939 markings for 19 Squadron from Duxford. I finished this one for the Interwar GB and had a lot of fun doing it.

spitfin8.jpg

spitfin6.jpg

It does seem as though the Constellation has struck a chord. I'm glad you guys liked it as much as I enjoyed building and videoing it. The Spitfire was also a major labour of love as I've wanted to do a model of Mitchell's great design and do it as something different from the typical BoB version most everyone else does. Now I just have to build some other Spitfire marks to keep it company (probably starting with Airfix's excellent Spitfire Mk XII kit).

My sincerest thanks to everyone who has followed my builds to date. My goal for 2012 is to double my finished builds output. If you liked the Constellation, you should love my first build for the new year as I've started some preliminary work on the brand new Polar Lights 1/350 TOS Enterprise. It will be done as the production style ship (as opposed to the model from the pilot episodes) and lit with spinning bussard collectors and everything. I haven't turned by back completely away from the 1/600 scale Revell Enterprise as I hope to do that one lighted as well, once I get a little more funding in my bank account thanks to a new job I'll be starting just after the first of the year.

Some lovely modelling!

I especially like the USS Constellation, I remember the episode very well.

The early Spitfire is a little gem too!

Great work :goodjob: